Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to cut my hood so i can get the car inspected. i cant afford another hood right now and i wanna be able to take it on the road. would like some tips on how to make a nice clean cut. thanks for any help

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need more info. Why cut it? Get what inspected? Use a hood opening tool
i need to get my car inspected. can a car be inspected with out a hood? the reason im cutting the hood is bc the hood will not close..there is not enough clearance. i plan on getting another hood in the future so im just gonna cut this one until i can afford another hood. what u mean use a hood opening tool?

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
He was thinking that your hood was closes and wouldn't open. :laughing:

If you're going to replace the hood anyway, then I'd cut it. I'm guessing that this is for registration/smog purposes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was thinking that your hood was closes and wouldn't open. :laughing:

If you're going to replace the hood anyway, then I'd cut it. I'm guessing that this is for registration/smog purposes.
i already have registration, plates, and insurance on the car. they dont check for smog stuff down here so i dont have to worry about that. just need an inspection sticker so i can drive it on the main high ways instead of just the back roads

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Ahhh...10-4. You can use a jigsaw and a new blade. You'll be fine.:thumbsup:

What sticks out? Let's get some info!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i need to get my car inspected. can a car be inspected with out a hood? the reason im cutting the hood is bc the hood will not close..there is not enough clearance. i plan on getting another hood in the future so im just gonna cut this one until i can afford another hood. what u mean use a hood opening tool?
I would call and make sure the hood is required. That can be different from state to state.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
:agree:
Call your DMV or the folks who do the testing/inspection and ask whether you actually need a hood.

:thumbsup:
:agree:
Call the inspection place.

The DMV is always clueless. :down:

A hood may not be a requirement. There are a lot of street rods with no hoods. ;)

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
The headlights are part of the hood, every state needs headlights. No hood= no safety inspection.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The headlights are part of the hood, every state needs headlights. No hood= no safety inspection.
I guess I was thinking a C3, where the headlights are not integrated with a hood. Is this not a C3?

Most requirements for a hood were due to the clutch fan from days of old....they could fly out and hurt someone. Installing enclosed electric fans many times remove that legal requirement.....hence why many hotrods can get cleared for no hood.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I use a Rotozip tool, and a guide. you can make perfect circles and straight lines with it.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I guess I was thinking a C3, where the headlights are not integrated with a hood. Is this not a C3?

Most requirements for a hood were due to the clutch fan from days of old....they could fly out and hurt someone. Installing enclosed electric fans many times remove that legal requirement.....hence why many hotrods can get cleared for no hood.
**** I don't know!:laughing: I saw he had an 84 and didn't even notice this was in the C-3 section untill you said something.:laughing: I'll just sit back and watch this one from here.:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes this is my c3 not my c4. so the head lights are not in the hood. but ill just call the inspection place like yall suggested to make sure i even need a hood before i cut. if anyone else has any more pictures of their hood cut could yall please post them. thanks

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
**** I don't know!:laughing: I saw he had an 84 and didn't even notice this was in the C-3 section untill you said something.:laughing: I'll just sit back and watch this one from here.:D
I didn't even notice he had an 84 in his Corvette(s) section :laughing:

:toilet

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This is the way I cut my hood.
Remove the air cleaner so the air cleaner stud is sticking up and will hit the hood close the hood on the stud so it will make a little mark on the underside of the hood then drill a hole in the hood at the mark.
NOw you have a refrence point to measure off of.
Now you can measure the air cleaner and cut a nice tight hole around the air cleaner.
On my car the engine is not in the center of the engine bay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
jigsaw blades

blades that cut on the pull stroke andcut on the push stroke are available.the push type blades wont chip the paint but go easy if the blade binds it will make the saw judder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts