Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my first DING!!

When I was washing it last night I found a pencil eraser size chip on the front passenger headlight cover. DAM DAM DAM, it’s my first road rash.

Oh well.:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel your pain brother. I've got one on the drivers side mirror:(

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
my lisence plate cover looks like it got hit by a machine gun,i probably have a 100 tiny chips on the front and hood.i will be getting the hood and nose painted in Nov.the painter that painted a friends ZO6 convertable,Lambo orange.he will paint mine,way better and longer lasting than a G.M. job...the car now has 37,200.miles.for me a bra is out of the question...
last time i looked at the 2003 Ferrari(at work)he had a few chips too):laughing: he was cussing,i said,"dude it's a car".but he was not amused.........:smokin:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
my lisence plate cover looks like it got hit by a machine gun,i probably have a 100 tiny chips on the front and hood.
I know how you feel. My Dads car has SO many rock chips it looks like the paints a different color. I get to give her a paint job next year if we still have it.:rolleyes:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Your first?

I have more chips then a can of Pringles.

Once you get a couple, you don't give a **** about the rest.:partyon:

·
Registered
662 Posts
ragvette said:
Found my first DING!!

When I was washing it last night I found a pencil eraser size chip on the front passenger headlight cover. DAM DAM DAM, it’s my first road rash.

Oh well.:(
Is white showing, or black. In other words, did it pentrate the primer all the way done to the SMC?

Get the correct color touch-up paint and the clear-coat touch up. Go to an art store and get a very, very thin artists brush made from sable hair (so it won't lose it's bristles). Thin down the touch-up paint, the stuff is too thick to work with without making a blob on the ding. Using the artist brush apply a tiny amount of paint. Don't worry if you didn't cover all the underlying paint (white or black). You must do this in tiny stages to avoid the blob look. Let one coat dry and then reapply additional coats, hitting small spots you missed on the first pass, allowing time for each to dry. If you have steady hands and a patient heart you can mask the ding to a great extent. When all the base coat is dry, apply the clear-coat using the same technique. Some guys are very talented at this and obtain incredibly good results. The repair will be invisible at 10 feet, slightly visible at 5 feet, and very apparent at 1 foot

Warning: Some very talented paint guys use the end of a paper match to apply the paint instead of a brush. I don't get how they do it but it seems to work. Done properly only you will be able to determine where the dings are.

Make sure you are obsessed with perparing the surface. Use 3M PreSol get get all foreign contaminants off the paint. That way the paint adheres better.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,567 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i used the match tip method,i does look pretty good from a few feet away,now i have so many chips you can see most of the repairs,there's just to many now.
G.M. puts two coats (sometimes 3) paint ,then 1 coat clear,the guy that is going to do my hood and nose says,3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear,thats of coarse after removing and completly stripping the bumper.
it is the "high "line of dupont paint,even a good brand of paint has a "low" line and the paint/clear will come right off no matter how many coats.....

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Yep, that suck, I recently got one on my right side mirror. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nothing prettier than a clean, waxed, Black car...

Being as anal as I am with regards to keeping them, spotless, I have made it a point to stay away from Black.

I recently got a Black on Black ZO6 and yep, there it is, a littler one behind my passenger headlight.

I see "white" what is that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got 5 or 6 pinhead sized chips across my nose. Only to the primer though. Anything deeper would stand out like a sore thumb on my yellow paint.

·
Registered
612 Posts
ragvette said:
You call that a "ding"!?! :lookinup: :surprised ;)

This is what I came out to a few years ago after a New Year's eve dinner :( :

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See, that's what I'm talkin' about. A ding like that just stands out on a yellow Vette. Jeez, Parrot Bay, were you able to buff it out?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts