Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nuts: CODE 36 IS THE DEVIL'S CODE. After my las post on code 36, my Service Engine Soon light did not go on again. This weekend me and my wife took some time out and had a nice little trip in my 87 Coupe. Even stayed at a nice Inn on the southwestern side of the Island. In total, we drove close to 300 miles, both in open highway (65 - 70 mph) and small country roads (25 - 45 mph). The SES light did not go on even once. Today, I took a drive around town and the damn light went on again:spanked: . You guessed it: code 36 again. The car has new spark plugs (AC Delco Rapid Fire) and new wires (that's when the SES light went off and I pulled no codes. One of the wires had a loose connector and I decided to change them all).
The car starts fine and there is no hesitation during acceleration or missing at any speed. Idle is smooth.
Any ideas?:surprised
 

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
Joined
·
12,668 Posts
Code 36--- Mass Air Flow burn-off ciruit.

You probably already know this, but that's the sensor in the air intake plumbing. Hopefully it's just the relay.
Every now and then the connector itself will seperate inside the "crimp's".

I replaced an IAT sensor on my C5, and it was the connector, all good now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
replace the relays first

Replace your relays first. On an 87 they are located behind the car's battery on the firewall. The relays are much cheaper then the MAF sensor, plus a bad relay can blow out a new sensor. The reverse will not happen.

P.S. both relays are the same (same part number).

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
:agree: :agree:
replace both relay's first
Do you have a factory service manual???
You'll need a DVOM to pinpiont that code if it's not the relays
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JCswm said:
:agree: :agree:
replace both relay's first
Do you have a factory service manual???
You'll need a DVOM to pinpiont that code if it's not the relays
Pardon the ignorance but, what is a DVOM? I already changed BOTH relays and the MAF sensor. I took the car out yesterday and the SES light did not go on. But when I shut the engine and restarted it, it came back on. Same old code 36.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,151 Posts
Digital Volt Ohm Meter...
there's a LONG series of pinpoint tests for that code
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
error code 36

Alfonso,

I see this is an old post, but was wondering if you resolved this issue. I recently hade a code 34 and after weeks of frustration took it to the shop and they replaced the MAF relay, MAF sensor, & ECM. I haven't had any problems for about 3 weeks and today I got in the car and now I have a code 36.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
 

·
GM World Class Certified Technician
Joined
·
311 Posts
Hi there,
I would also suggest checking your ground source for the MAF burn off relay.
Just remember that if you sometimes see a problem and it comes back after replacement of a part, grounds or connections are most likely the cause.
The PCM ground is what supplies the ground to the MAF burn off relay. It does NOT have a separate ground, like the MAF power supply relay.
This ground is located at the rear of the block and is very tough to get to.
In my experience, 95% of all #36 problems relate to the ground source.
Allthebest, c4c5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: error code 36

msgntsu said:
Alfonso,

I see this is an old post, but was wondering if you resolved this issue. I recently hade a code 34 and after weeks of frustration took it to the shop and they replaced the MAF relay, MAF sensor, & ECM. I haven't had any problems for about 3 weeks and today I got in the car and now I have a code 36.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
After a few day's driving, the SES light did not go on again. No more code 36. I have no idea why it stopped since I did not do anything to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
code 36

It was the burn off relay. Replaced. I would like to say that i figured it myself, but just not that good with Electrical issues. Anyways, thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Hey Dude, I had prolems with my 02 Sensors on my #2 Bank side on the engine. the Pass side of the car. I changed my Injectors, wires , plugs , 2 - o2 sensors and my check engine light would come on after 15 min. My gas tank was on empty one day..... so I filled the tank with Sonoco Ultra 94 and put in a pt. of OutLaw Octane Boost.
The problem went away. The car runs great. I use to buy SpeedWay Gas. No more Speedway gas for me.:excited:
 

·
DC Crew
Joined
·
53,222 Posts
teenangel said:
Hey Dude, I had prolems with my 02 Sensors on my #2 Bank side on the engine. the Pass side of the car. I changed my Injectors, wires , plugs , 2 - o2 sensors and my check engine light would come on after 15 min. My gas tank was on empty one day..... so I filled the tank with Sonoco Ultra 94 and put in a pt. of OutLaw Octane Boost.
The problem went away. The car runs great. I use to buy SpeedWay Gas. No more Speedway gas for me.:excited:
Speedway is like "Walmart" gasoline.:laughing:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top