Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just venting. Im doing my oil pan gasket my Cross member and oil pan are currently out of the car. The reason I am venting is because, every place I went to get it fixed wanted $1000 bucks to do the job because it was a 10 hour plus job. It took me only 1 hour to get the cross member down and get the pan out. Its the Corvette name. In reality its actually easier to work on Corvettes in my opinion ( my last car was a 4th gen Camaro, bitch to work on ) but mechanics are intimidated by the name. Or probably never touch a corvette before the the cost is always so high for repairs.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
not sure if you are aware of it, but what dealerships charge is called book time- it is the time it takes to do the job step-by-step per the manual. although $1000 is a little high, considering typical dealership hourly rate is $65-75.

I once had a customer complain that she had to pay the full 4.5hours of labor for a job that only took 1 hr 50 mins....she had it towed. she was from out of town traveling to another state for something i cant remember. I cleared a few jobs to help her out. she got a complete transmission rebuild while she waited, and it ran perfect. When she wanted to complain about paying the full labor charge, I told her I would be glad to park it in the empty stall next to mine and let it sit for another 2 hrs....

As far as I was concerned, she was paying for my expertise and skill, and should be compensated accordingly.

oh, I know you are just venting :cheers:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thats why I spent the money and got the service manuals and a decent scantool software for my laptop, so I could do as much work myself as possible.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure if you are aware of it, but what dealerships charge is called book time- it is the time it takes to do the job step-by-step per the manual. although $1000 is a little high, considering typical dealership hourly rate is $65-75.

I once had a customer complain that she had to pay the full 4.5hours of labor for a job that only took 1 hr 50 mins....she had it towed. she was from out of town traveling to another state for something i cant remember. I cleared a few jobs to help her out. she got a complete transmission rebuild while she waited, and it ran perfect. When she wanted to complain about paying the full labor charge, I told her I would be glad to park it in the empty stall next to mine and let it sit for another 2 hrs....

As far as I was concerned, she was paying for my expertise and skill, and should be compensated accordingly.

oh, I know you are just venting :cheers:
Well I'm an ASE certified mechanic and up until about 2 months ago I decided that I'm done turning wrenches for people. That being said I never agreed with that way of thinking. You basically did that because you know you wont see her again because she was from out of town. IF she was a local I would hope you would just charge her for 2 hours. That shows your customers that you care about them and is worth its weight in gold. If that woman was a local customer she would never come back again and spit on your name as much as she could.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The oil pan gasket replacement as per the manual looks like it would take a week to do! Maybe that's what the mechanics saw when the looked it up. It blew me away when I saw it for the first time too. For those who haven't seen it, here are the service manual's instructions.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
No, they always charged book rate because I was being paid flat rate. it had nothing to do with her being from out of town.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well I'm an ASE certified mechanic and up until about 2 months ago I decided that I'm done turning wrenches for people. That being said I never agreed with that way of thinking. You basically did that because you know you wont see her again because she was from out of town. IF she was a local I would hope you would just charge her for 2 hours. That shows your customers that you care about them and is worth its weight in gold. If that woman was a local customer she would never come back again and spit on your name as much as she could.

Obviously you never owned your own repair shop. I own, run and manage my two man show in my 3 bay garage. My Grandfather started this business 35 years ago. Doing favors for people will not make your paycheck at the end of the week, let alone the overhead.

Do you know why it only took Hardcore 2 hours? Because he is good at what he does. He knows how to do it. Why should the garage suffer because the mechanic can do a 4 hour job in 2? I can change a tire in 5 minutes with my machine. Should I give that away too? If someone complains about the lousy 10 dollars I charge, I will gladly hand them a set of tire irons and say go at it. I bought the $4000.00 machine that enables me to do it in minutes.

People love to bitch about mechanics and how we are out to screw everyone. There is 100k worth of tools in my shop that make my job easier. If they save me some time and I can get another job in and out, then that's more for me. After all, I am trying to make a living.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I guess I can see both sides of this. As a professional you should be paid for your expertise and ablity to do what someone else cannot or will not do for themselves. That being said, charging someone more "labor" than a job actually cost is BS in my opinion. If you charge flat rate, then its flat rate and that is fine. But if all of a sudden that 4 hour flat rate job turned into a 6 hour job would that customer not have to pay for those extra two hours on a four hour job? Damn skippy they'd pay, so which way is right here? And I'm not talking about the HOLY CRAP WE GOT THE CAR APART AND FOUND ALL THIS EXTRA PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN DAMAGE THAT MUST ALSO BE FIXED. That can happen and the customer should be made aware of such possibilities.

If the expectation is that you charge by the hour, then that is what the customer should pay. (rounded up to at least a half hour of course as no one should work for free).

As long as the customer knows going in what they are getting in to, there shouldn't be too many hard feelings.

And yes some people want something for nothing. A long time ago when I was in college I used to work for Circuit City. They did not have a home installation devision so we used to work on the side installing home stereos, home theaters etc. I went out to a customer's house to do a stereo install. Once I was done the customer asked me to do some other work that was completely unrelated. I said I'd be glad to do that work and quoted a price. The customer was pissed because he saw how easy it was for me to do the other install and felt like he had over paid. Well that wasn't my problem. I quoted him a price for that first part and he agreed. I refused to do the other work he needed if he wasn't willing to pay. He wouldn't, and I didn't.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have been a service writer for 16 years, I work a high volume 15 bay shop with a 3 bay superlube. we see approx. 1500-1700 cars a month. We have 4 ase tech's that do all the mechanical work. we are $80.00 per hour. we use mitchell book rate, If the job call for 10 hours..... $800.00 labor , if he does it in 3 hours we <him> are ahead of the game. If some body wants the it only took you 2hours to fix it rate... go to joeblow 1 man auto repair or let your uncle bob fix it. We pay our tech a percentage of labor dollars not an hourly rate. they WANT to finish it ahead of time to get to the next job on the wall. Thats called a profitable shop!!!!!. Our 4 techs turn out around $110-115,000 a month in just service repairs. If you want a warranty you will also pay a little more.!!!!!:partyon: You also pay for the 3 T's...... time, tools, and technology

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
exactly, if the job takes me more than book time, i still only get paid book time so it is very much in my best interest to finish under book time. it is not hard for a professional technician to have $50,000+ in tools and equipment of his own. Alot of what he has is to make life easier and more profitable for him.

If that transmission took me 6 hours I would still only get paid for 4.5 hours of work....or I could have been a dick and told her i could schedule it in for the following week since I had quite a few jobs that week....

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
exactly, if the job takes me more than book time, i still only get paid book time so it is very much in my best interest to finish under book time.
That's the flip side of the coin which is important to remember. In my business, I have a saying.

"Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you."

I like bear meat. ;)

·
Registered
721 Posts
exactly, if the job takes me more than book time, i still only get paid book time so it is very much in my best interest to finish under book time. it is not hard for a professional technician to have $50,000+ in tools and equipment of his own. Alot of what he has is to make life easier and more profitable for him.

If that transmission took me 6 hours I would still only get paid for 4.5 hours of work....or I could have been a dick and told her i could schedule it in for the following week since I had quite a few jobs that week....
:agree:

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
A lot of people don't understand that most mechanics work on flagged hours. I was an ASE master tech til '95 and flagging hours is how I got paid.
The way it works:
Job calls for 4 hrs, I get the job done in 1.5 hrs, I get paid for 4 hrs. If the job takes me 8 hrs, I get paid for 4 hrs. It's fair across the board and offers consistant pricing for the consumer.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
A lot of people don't understand that most mechanics work on flagged hours. I was an ASE master tech til '95 and flagging hours is how I got paid.
The way it works:
Job calls for 4 hrs, I get the job done in 1.5 hrs, I get paid for 4 hrs. If the job takes me 8 hrs, I get paid for 4 hrs. It's fair across the board and offers consistant pricing for the consumer.
:agree: My husband has his own diesel shop and that's the way he works it too. It's only fair.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I have spent quite a bit of time hanging out with the mechanics at the local dealership and they have all told me how that HATE to see a Corvette come through the door. As soon as they see one they assume that the owner is going to be a total PITA to deal with. Most Corvette owners bitch about EVERYTHING - even a fingerprint left on the bumper - and none of the other Chevy owners care that much. Of course, that has little to do with cost, but the Dealership recognizes repeat bitchers. So far they have bent over backwards to assist me the past 10 years (so far) and have far exceeded what they had to do.

Of course, I always personally meet and try to build at least an amicable relationship with the actual mechanic doing work on my car in as short a time as possible and I come back every day to check on things. If it is a large job, I usually wait about a week or so, then go back and hand the Mechanic an envelope with some extra money, Outback Gift card or something - also the Service Manager.

But then again all my visits up until now have been covered by GMPP - that may change the first time I get hosed! I do know for a fact that they have replaced several expensive parts on my car which did not need replacing and without a warranty that would have been devastating.

I am assuming that BOOK pricing is based on AVERAGES? Therefore if a particular mechanic has better tools/skills that works to his advantage in that system.

In my business EVERYTHING I do is CUSTOM - no book values to go by - so I refuse to bid ANY job as a fixed fee - everything strictly by the hour. I could do fixed fee, but I would have to bid a worst case scenario and THAT WOULD BE EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I do know for a fact that they have replaced several expensive parts on my car which did not need replacing and without a warranty that would have been devastating.

This is not always true, Many problems are electrical and will set a trouble code. When a technician looks up this code he is presented with a flow chart to diagnose the code. Many times the chart will ask the tech to check the resistance between terminals A and B of a component, and then say is the resistance between 700 and 900 Ohms yes or no? If you answer No it will ask you to replace that component and continue. SOoo did you need that component? was the component bad? Did you need to replace the component to get to the end of the diagnostic procedure to correctly repair the problem? YES... So if you were diagnosing it and the component was 50 ohms out of range. How could you complete the repair conclusively with the knowledge in your mind that the component is out of range?????? Just something to think about my friends before you jump to the conclusion that mechanics are out to rip you off. After all you wouldn't even be driving without us.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just venting. Im doing my oil pan gasket my Cross member and oil pan are currently out of the car. The reason I am venting is because, every place I went to get it fixed wanted $1000 bucks to do the job because it was a 10 hour plus job. It took me only 1 hour to get the cross member down and get the pan out. Its the Corvette name. In reality its actually easier to work on Corvettes in my opinion ( my last car was a 4th gen Camaro, bitch to work on ) but mechanics are intimidated by the name. Or probably never touch a corvette before the the cost is always so high for repairs.
Just wondering how did you support the engine with the cross member removed?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
This is not always true, Many problems are electrical and will set a trouble code. When a technician looks up this code he is presented with a flow chart to diagnose the code. Many times the chart will ask the tech to check the resistance between terminals A and B of a component, and then say is the resistance between 700 and 900 Ohms yes or no? If you answer No it will ask you to replace that component and continue. SOoo did you need that component? was the component bad? Did you need to replace the component to get to the end of the diagnostic procedure to correctly repair the problem? YES... So if you were diagnosing it and the component was 50 ohms out of range. How could you complete the repair conclusively with the knowledge in your mind that the component is out of range?????? Just something to think about my friends before you jump to the conclusion that mechanics are out to rip you off. After all you wouldn't even be driving without us.
You are absolutely correct, but I have had them replace several items with me standing there the whole time (like my alternator) and they never ran any diagnostics or consulted any flowcharts and the problems still existed after I left. I don't think they were out to rip me off, I just think that many mechanics are unqualified. In my case I am not mad because warranty paid for the part... just saying.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Just something to think about my friends before you jump to the conclusion that mechanics are out to rip you off. After all you wouldn't even be driving without us.
:agree: I have a lot of respect for the mechanics I have used in the past! Good people doing a hard job.

BLK 1 :buhbye:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I too have great respect for a good mechanic - that is why I always pay them extra when the job gets done right. I have been very fortunate to have several (that worked at the local dealership) that did an outstanding job - especially when they had to replace my engine and fuel tank sensors under warranty, but a "couple" I have had were clueless (and even admitted it at the Dealership) - they just replace parts based on what I tell them.

Another example is that I was getting a 1226H Code occasionally and from my research it seemed like a common cause was a loose connect in the "Y" harness. As soon as the Dealership saw that code they said they needed to start by replacing the right front hub (including sensor). The next day the 1226H code popped up again. So I got under the car - checked the harness connections and the prongs were not tight enough on one connector - took me 5 minutes to fix for free. I am not mad as I got a NEW hub out of the deal under warranty... again just saying.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts