Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i need to remove the damper since im installing a new cam but i need to fabricate some kind of tool to remove the damper.
Anyone done this? Like to see pictures if you got them.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A regular 3 leg dampner remover works fine but clearance on the steering rack is tight so sometimes easier to pull the engine mount bolts and lift engine higher ( Also makes removing the oil pan easier )

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
It's a pain to do because there's so little room to work there. I did manage to get it out with the remover tool, but I believe I only used the bolt and a wrench on the end of it. Hmmm it's been a while since I removed it, i'm going to look to see if I have any pictures of what I did exactly...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Plan on getting a dampner installer, don't use the crank bolt to pull it back on cause it may strip the crank snout threads. You might have luck renting one.
I have a good one at work that has a thrust bearing, but I made one for home that works good too. Just use alot of moly lube.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am taking out the dampner to replace with a better one. Can this be done in the car or must the engine be lifted out?

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I am taking out the dampner to replace with a better one. Can this be done in the car or must the engine be lifted out?
It can be done in the car

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you just taking the damper off and not the crank hub it can be done on the car. Take the 3 bolts out. What I did was a bit unconventional but it woked very well. I got the wooden handle off a broom and a small sledge hammer. I got behind the passenger front tire and fed the handle up through until it touched the back side of the damper. I would hit the end of the handle about 10 times and then rotate the motor. It took about 15 minutes and it popped right off.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My neighbor has a brand new snap on dampner remover but before I start a project and half ass it and have to pay someone to fix the mess, I'd like to know if this is a 6 pack project or a huge ordeal. I don't like to borrow tools and break them or damage them in the process. So, if it can be done with the engine in, I would attempt it. BTW, this is a 383 so it has a 400 crank.

How do you stop the crank from rotating when turning? If the engine is out, it is easier but I'd rather not do it that way if I can.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Most pullers, universal steering wheel pullers, have a squared side that you put a wrench on to keep it from turning the engine over. You can also pump comressed air into a cylinder thats on the power stroke, that'll hold the crank from turning. I use an old compression tester, removed the schrader valve, & it has the same quick connector that my air tools have.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You can also pump comressed air into a cylinder thats on the power stroke, that'll hold the crank from turning.
I put 3 ft of 3/8" nylon rope in through a plug hole and wind engine up against it

If you just taking the damper off and not the crank hub it can be done on the car.
Early SBC don't have a seperate hub and dampner like later engines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts