Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys! I will be updating this thread almost daily with the entire process of having my car repaired. First, I wanted to share with all of you how much DC has helped me already. Yesterday I had to go through the tideous process of finding an auto body shop that I could trust with my Corvette. I looked at a lot of things before making a choice. I looked at how clean their facility was, what kind of cars they were working on, and of course I asked them some important questions. I told each shop owner when I spoke to them that I belong to a very large Corvette family and I wanted to come down each day and take pictures of the entire process to share with the entire Corvette community. When I mentioned that there are 50,000 Corvette members who would all be watching each day as the repair progresses, it scared about 90 percent of them all away. They said things like "you can't come back into the shop for insurance reasons" and all kinds of other excuses. I knew this would weed out anyone who does shady work. It made a lot of them feel uncomfortable that 50,000 Corvette enthusiests would be watching over their every move to make sure it was all done correct. Then I found the one shop that had the mind set I was looking for. First of all they were ALL American and were extremely friendly to me. They had Denali's and Porche's all around the shop so that made me feel comfortable. When I told them about the process being watched by all my Corvette family they had the correct response! Instead of being scared away this guy saw it as an opportunity to show anyone in Northern California what kind of work he does. He is proud of his work and would love to share it with other Corvette enthusiests so that he might earn more business in the future! Bottom line, thank you once again Digital Corvettes for all that you do. I will take pictures of my car in a couple of hours and post them. Right now it is pretty messed up! The insurance adjuster will be meeting me to do his thing either today or monday, so the body shop process will begin in a few days!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
Thats great news. Can't wait to see the process. :thumbsup:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW........ I expect all 50,000 of you to be checking in here!!! lol.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If you give me some time I can check it a few hundred. Does that count?

:rolling: :rolling:

Whats the name of the shop. Im sure he would appreciate it.

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's Downtown Collision & Auto Painting in Red Bluff, CA. Jay and Eric are the guys down there!

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, here are the scary pictures!!!

Corvette Vs. dirt embankment

The front bumper is trashed!

Some close ups of the bumper...

This is my new ram-air intake....

Used to be a corner light.

Used to be a brake duct.

The other one is falling out too!

Both headlights are trashed and the brackets are bent.

I had to zip-tie this one up so it wouldnt fall into the bumper.

The driver door.

It's got a pretty good sized hole in it.

The rocker panel with the driver door open.

I even lost one of my little black covers for the tail light screw.

Stress cracks on the quarter panel.

I figure I will have them paint the top as well while it's in there. The see through original top isn't black anymore so we'll fix that.

Well.....here is what I did to my poor car. There are a few things I want to do to it while it is in the shop. Here are a few of them.

-Chrome C5 emblems on the front and rear bumpers.
-Clear or Black corner lights instead of stock.
-Vararaam, since I have to replace the fog light bezels anyway!
-The tail light seals to stop the dreaded drip!!!
-Maybe some better fog lights cause mine are broken!
-Clear headlight lenses with some new bulbs as well.
-I love the little C5 emblem valve stem caps!

More soon!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
:thud:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll be watching. Good luck with the repairs ! I gotta ask though...

How ???

I know, I am :crazy:

:smack

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Ouch! :laughing:

I'd fix the nose so you have lights again, but I'd leave that door like it is. That's a good scar!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts

I'd fix the nose so you have lights again, but I'd leave that door like it is. That's a good scar!
a scar you would be proud of:laughing:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First repair estamate.

I just met the Insurance Adjuster at the body shop to do all the required paper work. The first estimate is for visable damage only. After it goes in and gets taken apart the Adjuster will come out to do a second estimate for all the damage that was underneath the car. So far, just with the visable parts we are at 10 days of labor and $4,877.15. I expect that number to grow quite a bit when they find everything else that is broken underneath the car! The car should go in sometime between Wed and Fri of this week to begin disassembly.

Oh! I have another question! We are ordering the parts today and I can't remember where you guys found the chrome C5 front and rear bumper emblems. I am ordering the parts pretty soon, so let me know where I can order them!!!

-More soon!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

You are a sick..........sick man.

I can't wait to follow this thread and see how they do.

BTW, How in the HELL did you do that to your car?????

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are a sick..........sick man.

I can't wait to follow this thread and see how they do.

BTW, How in the HELL did you do that to your car?????
I was going around a corner and encountered gravel on the pavement mid turn.........:lookinup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Cars can always be fixed the best thing is that you are ok:partyon:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
You mean things like that need to be fixed... Its just going to get scratched again.

·
Read Only
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys! I was feeling a vibration in the floorboard last night when I was driving it. So I took it into the shop today to have them verify that is was safe to drive until the parts come in, in a few more days. It turns out that the lower core support is bent and there are a couple of screws in the driver side front tire. I'm guessing I ran them over when my bumper almost fell off. Anyway, I think they are going to start taking it apart this afternoon, I'll try to stop by after work and get some pictures.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts