Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago after getting home from a 5 day 1200 mile vette trip with the wife my 2001 coupe died. We came out the next day to go to a wedding and the battery was dead. I mean dead. No interior lights or anything. I called AAA and they came and jump started it and we took it straight to the dealer. They kept it for a couple of days and said the map light switch was stuck in the on position and it was fixed. The vette drove and started fine for a couple of weeks then yesterday it was dead again. Even AAA with the powerful jump starter on their tow truck had trouble getting it started the second time. So, it's back at the dealers again. My C5 has about 27,200 miles on it and this is the first time I've had a problem with it. It's still under warranty also so at least I only have to deal with the minor inconvenience and not the cost, this time. Has anybody else had this problem and what was the cause. I guess I'll be switching to another dealer shop if they can't fix this problem the second time around. I'm buying a good battery jumper/charger just in case this happens again. At least then I won't have to call AAA again.

Lastly, I'm probably going to have to buy a new battery eventually. I can feel it. Two totally dead days in 2 weeks can't be good. The only good thing out of this whole scenario is that because the stitches in my leather seats had unraveled, I was waiting on the new ones to come in. They came in the same day I took the car in for the power drain problem so they're putting them on while it's there. At least the vette died twice at home in the garage. Not the worst place to die. I didn't want to go to work anyway, but my wife drove me anyway. Anybody have any ideas??!!:( :huh:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
And I think GM can afford a battery for you too....by the way, did you bother to see if/wha codes were in the DIC? There may have been a clue there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to let the dealer do their thing and then see what happens. And at this point I'll gladly buy whatever so this doesn't happen again. Also, I didn't check the codes but I will if it happens again. Thanks for the ideas!:huh: :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Of course I'm not an expert, but my guess is the light or the long trip wore down your battery where it won't hold a charge. I suggest an Optima red top.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just keep in mind life expectancy of a battery is only aprox. 4 years.. and the car was probably built late 00 or early 01 so it's getting close to it's life expectancy.. and to top it off.. going dead puts alot of strain on a batt.. but I would suspect something is draining it.. anyway my .02 now I'm off to bed.. to work another 10hour day

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day three!! The dealer still has my vette and it died on them yesterday also. I hope this doesn't mean I'll be vette-less for the weekend. I won't be a happy camper then for sure. Whenever they do get it fixed I'll let everyone know what the problem was.

:huh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just heard from the dealer and they claimed that the on/off dome light switch was sticking in the on position sporadically instead of cutting the lights off after a few seconds when you exit the vehicle. They gave me a new switch!! So it looks like I'll be doing the C5 cruising this Labor Day weekend afterall. Thanks for all the info and advice. I'll keep you posted if I have a dead vette repeat.

:cheers:

·
Registered
795 Posts
man

all i got to say is wait till your steering column locks not fun either :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ouch!! Steering Lock!!! I hope it wasn't in a high speed turn. Thanks for the vision. Now I have something else to worry about. And, I think the dealer fixed my power drain problem. The C5 sit in the garage all weekend because it stormed for 3 days and nights here and it started fine this morning. But, I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

·
Registered
795 Posts
yes

I heard of them locking while driving luckily mine did it in driveway and parking lot at work. glad to hear yours is back in motion.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!! She's running fine and I'm glad your steering locked on your driveway instead of elsewhere. The mark of a good car is dying at home instead of on the road. My corvette died twice in the garage. "Good C5!!"

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
:thumbsup: :smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts