Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 84 to work this morning and suddenly everything key/ignition related totally quit. Fortunatly, I was able to coast into a parking lot.
I still have my interior & headlights, but if it's controlled by the ignition switch, it's toast, zip, nada.....
I figured that it's the ignit. switch and have gotten a new one. I've installed it (what a PAIN!), but, still nothing (still need to adjust some, but moving w/key on hasn't produced any results). Any ideas and/or suggestions?
Keep in mind that as far as electrics go, I'm not very adept. I don't have any test tools or such.
Any and all help will be thankfully received. I just put a new trans in, now this. Kinda sux, ya know?
Thanks all.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
check the fuses then the fuseable links at the back of the starter, tug lightly on them, they should be firm.... if it feels like it's streching it's probably blown.... spend $5.00 and get a test light, your going to need it!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would links @ starter kill all the ignition, yet leave the headlights, etc. still working?
I do have a test light.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I do not have a wiring diagram for an '84 but yes, There are a few fuse links and they all power different systems.... WAIT a minuite...
Do you have a VATS key???

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
JCswm said:
I do not have a wiring diagram for an '87 but yes, There are a few fuse links and they all power different systems.... WAIT a minuite...
Do you have a VATS key???
I thought of that until i read that his car died on the way to work and he had to coast into a parking lot.

If it was VATS, it wouldn't kill the engine while driving. But, keeping it from being restarted could be a VATS attack.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If the wires break at the key/tumbler (like they always do) it shuts off the fuel pump....then you can't crank it over to try and restart

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I just unplugged my VATS ..... the engine did die, so it could die while driving If it is VATS It's easy enough to Diagnose

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No key, per se.
I do have the factory alarm, but not a "special" key (ie:newer cars)
If it is VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System.....right?, how do I diagnose and what is the fix?
I'm a newer vette owner (5 months), this is my first, so be gentle......lol.
I appreciate your patience and the advice/help.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
you need a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) Measure the Ohms across your key..... The black "pill" you'll get a reading like .457 or .854 ohms
Remove the knee bolster under your steering column and look for a white 2 wire connector with 2 white wires..... it's right in plain site attached to the bottom of the column.... unplug it and use the DVOM to read the Ohm's between the two wires that go to the Key..... With the key in the Ignition the Ohm's across the wires should be the same (or real close) to the Ohm reading you got across the key......
If the readings are the same chances are the problem is NOT with VATS
I'm betting you get an O.L. message on your DVOM and I'll e-mail you EASY directions on how to bypass VATS SAFELY!!!
E-mail me your phone # If my directions are unclear.... [email protected]

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you just installed a new trans I would start by checking for any loose wires under the car around the tranny area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
84's don't have VATS, they do have a starter interupt relay, but this will not be your problem. .. The fusible links are your best bet. There are about 4 of them and they supply different circuits, so it's quite possible that the lights will still work while this is the problem...
Alot of the wiring drawings from the 84 shop manual electrical supplement (a must have!!!) are posted on the Crossfire Forum.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/cftest/default.asp
They are very easy to follow, even if you are not great with car electrics..
Ben.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
rksmotorspor said:
I was driving my 84 to work this morning and suddenly everything key/ignition related totally quit. Fortunatly, I was able to coast into a parking lot.
I still have my interior & headlights, but if it's controlled by the ignition switch, it's toast, zip, nada.....
I figured that it's the ignit. switch and have gotten a new one. I've installed it (what a PAIN!), but, still nothing (still need to adjust some, but moving w/key on hasn't produced any results). Any ideas and/or suggestions?
Keep in mind that as far as electrics go, I'm not very adept. I don't have any test tools or such.
Any and all help will be thankfully received. I just put a new trans in, now this. Kinda sux, ya know?
Thanks all.

Kevin
I had this same problem,i was out detailing my 84 and had the hood open for a good bit,radio on,ect,tryed to start car,no good ,nothing.i look at the fuse link at my starter and low in behold it was corroded.replaced link,all has been fine since.go about it in a sytmatic way first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all....good news. After y'all pointed me in the right direction, it turned out to be the single-wire connection to the starter......broke @ the eye. Went ahead ane got new eyes for both leads, sliced-n-diced and BINGO! Houston, we have ignition!

Thanks everyone for the advice and direction .

Have a :cheers: on me!!!

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
rksmotorspor said:
Hey all....good news. After y'all pointed me in the right direction, it turned out to be the single-wire connection to the starter......broke @ the eye. Went ahead ane got new eyes for both leads, sliced-n-diced and BINGO! Houston, we have ignition!

Thanks everyone for the advice and direction .

Have a :cheers: on me!!!
Great to hear you got it taken care of. It sucks to have a dead Vette, that's for sure.:excited:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts