Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend Dec issue, pg 17 in the MT Confidential section it is stated "C7 Corvette body is done". Now looking for photo leaks. This is the site I saw the first C6 pics, hoping for it to folllow suit for C7. Bring em on guys!!!

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
It may be that the body is mostly finished and will just under go fine tuning for aero and etc.... at this point.

I believe the Corvette C7 will enter production in 2012 as a 2013 MY car so we may see it at the end of 2011 and if that is the case the body better be about finished.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Gives me a couple of years to plan and save. Do you think they will release the prototype by this time next year?

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Whether the car has reached this stage of development is anyone's guess, but I doubt Motortrend has any more idea about it than my cat does. It is likely an assumption based on the development timeline used for the previous car. Of course the timelines are similar because their development procedures and testing are similar.

We will know when we see the first photos. Until then, it's all a guessing game.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I believe we will see the car at the NY autoshow in april 2013.

Couple inches shorter than the present car. New welding techniques..lighter weight... an extra 10 percent hp...much better interior.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I believe we will see the car at the NY autoshow in april 2013.

Couple inches shorter than the present car. New welding techniques..lighter weight... an extra 10 percent hp...much better interior.

I hope they don't do what they did with the Camaro, where the concept was out 2+ years before the production car. In fact its been long enough it feels like the Gen 5 Camaro is due for an update and its only coming up on its second year.

I do understand the circumstances are different after all the Vette is already slated for production and the Camaro concept was a what if car they decided to produce.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I hope they don't do what they did with the Camaro, where the concept was out 2+ years before the production car. In fact its been long enough it feels like the Gen 5 Camaro is due for an update and its only coming up on its second year.

I do understand the circumstances are different after all the Vette is already slated for production and the Camaro concept was a what if car they decided to produce.
With the Camaro they showed off the concept (before work was done on the actual vehicle) to see if they can get enough interest in it. Normally car companies will not show off a vehicle until its within a year of production and I have even seen them show it off a month or two before it entered production. Almost all of the 5 years they spend to develop lets say the current Honda Accord you did not read about it or see the concept car or concept art etc...... . Same with the 7 years Mercedes brags about taking to develop the current Mercedes C class (they put a lot of effort into the car).

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Its just a guess on my part but I think with C6 sales in the absolute toilet..GM is rushing to get the new corvette to the showroom floor.

Its not a total remake...but rather yet again an evolution of a world class performance package..

slightly smaller...slightly lighter...probably bigger wheels...smaller lighter more powerful direct injection motor...MUCH BETTER Interior for those that care...(I'm not one of them although better seats would be cool) and I think we'll see them for sale in the 2013 calendar year...

Just a guess on my part so take it for what its worth..

JB

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I hope that's wrong as $&#@. If they are just doing a mild "C6.5" then this has epic fail written all over it. Everyone pray we get a new and radically advanced C7, not a warmed over C6.

(Not to mention that the C6 was only supposed to be a 4-5 year production run)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too have a bad feeling about the plans GM has for the C7. Especially considering the encredible sportscars coming from AUDI, BMW and Porsche in the future. I'm not a fan of these cars, but what I read, they're gonna be very advanced hybrid cars, and the beamer sure looks mean ...
I know everybody overhere hates Hybrids to death, but I do think it is the future, and I'm concerned ...
Also, I don't buy the evolutionary design ideas for one bit ... It's a dated design (I love the car, but we need something new), you just can't get over that ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the c6 design. Electrical problems are the only thing that bothers me. Imagine if supercharging the new c7 doesn't work well because the design was changed too much. You should never change a car too much. If it works don't over fix it.

I'll give an example. I own the evo 8 and it's faster than the new evo 10. Sure it has more luxury but there is a huge price jump which is retarded because the whole point of the car was that you get a lot for your money.

Imagine if the new corvette had all that junk and cost over 70 grand for the base model.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I like the c6 design. Electrical problems are the only thing that bothers me. Imagine if supercharging the new c7 doesn't work well because the design was changed too much. You should never change a car too much. If it works don't over fix it.

I'll give an example. I own the evo 8 and it's faster than the new evo 10. Sure it has more luxury but there is a huge price jump which is retarded because the whole point of the car was that you get a lot for your money.

Imagine if the new corvette had all that junk and cost over 70 grand for the base model.
While you make a good point, its also important to note that most value isn't the only thing to aim for in the auto industry.

Sure when the LS2 C6 first came out the LS6 powered C6 Z06 was faster then it (I don't know why people didn't expect that to be the case).

I think its important to improve a vehicle in all areas, I also worry that it has not changed enough since the 1984 fourth generation Corvette went on sale style wise.

Performance wise the C6 is a very solid vehicle, the C5/C6 platform is very solid as well. However the interior while not the worse ever in a Corvette is lacking greatly. They seriously need to fix the seats in the car, and the exterior styling has become boring. I hear too many people say that they prefer the Camaro over the Corvette and it comes right down to design.

Changing the design greatly doesn't mean it needs a completely new chassis or any other parts. It is change that can only be skin deep if that is what they wanted keeping the rest similar.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
New styling both inside and out...along with a slightly shorter in length..

GM should offer a drivers seat with better side bolstering...

DSG would be cool along with 475hp for the base motor.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
New styling both inside and out...along with a slightly shorter in length..

GM should offer a drivers seat with better side bolstering...

DSG would be cool along with 475hp for the base motor.
honestly if they can get the weight down to 3,000 pounds even then I don't think it needs 475BHP in base form. I think 450BHP in base form would do fine and with a DSG it could get away with 425BHP in base form.

My concern about the DSG transmission is the fact that it adds weight, cost, and complexity possibly beyond its benefits. Just think if you ever had to repair the DSG or replace it how much that thing must cost. I've heard that the cost to repair the transmission in the Nissan GTR is $20,000 and I don't know sane people would want to deal with that. Maybe in the ZR1 model C7 they should offer it as a option, I think that some kind of fast shifting manual transmission like a SMG (like on the C6R race car) would be a better choice. Those type of transmission are far more proven then DSG as the SMGs are raced all of the time and have been for a long time.

So just think, 3,000 pounds 425BHP SMG 0-60 in 3.8 seconds 1.05Gs on the skid pad 60-0 in 100 feet and 74MPH through the slalom while getting 30MPG highway. All of that for $50,000 who would not buy that?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
honestly if they can get the weight down to 3,000 pounds even then I don't think it needs 475BHP in base form. I think 450BHP in base form would do fine and with a DSG it could get away with 425BHP in base form.

My concern about the DSG transmission is the fact that it adds weight, cost, and complexity possibly beyond its benefits. Just think if you ever had to repair the DSG or replace it how much that thing must cost. I've heard that the cost to repair the transmission in the Nissan GTR is $20,000 and I don't know sane people would want to deal with that. Maybe in the ZR1 model C7 they should offer it as a option, I think that some kind of fast shifting manual transmission like a SMG (like on the C6R race car) would be a better choice. Those type of transmission are far more proven then DSG as the SMGs are raced all of the time and have been for a long time.

So just think, 3,000 pounds 425BHP SMG 0-60 in 3.8 seconds 1.05Gs on the skid pad 60-0 in 100 feet and 74MPH through the slalom while getting 30MPG highway. All of that for $50,000 who would not buy that?
Its unfortunate but I highly doubt GM who is so heavily invested in torque convertor automatics will bring DSG to the corvette so we don't have to worry....

I want my next sports car to have a dual clutch yet I would be surprised if the vette has DSG..

I don't think the maintaince on the DSG will be that much more than the present day rear mounted set up in the c6.

Still I think GM should make the car with that transmission...

I also believe the new vette will be inches shorter.....100 lbs lighter with the aid of some new welding technique....and with direct injection...your right ...it will probably be 450 hp instead of the 475hp I was hoping for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may be time for a styling change, those there are other things to focus on. If they just focus on less weight...say a curb weight of 2900lbs on the base car and 3000lbs for the Z06 this would be a welcome improvement in the performance dept. The vettes have proven to be excellent gas misers on the Hwy anyway at their present weight. Imagine 31 hwy MPG. Next should be seating. I had a 2006 Z06 and its seats were terrible compared to my '94 Sport seats

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
Its unfortunate but I highly doubt GM who is so heavily invested in torque convertor automatics will bring DSG to the corvette so we don't have to worry....

I want my next sports car to have a dual clutch yet I would be surprised if the vette has DSG..

I don't think the maintaince on the DSG will be that much more than the present day rear mounted set up in the c6.

Still I think GM should make the car with that transmission...

I also believe the new vette will be inches shorter.....100 lbs lighter with the aid of some new welding technique....and with direct injection...your right ...it will probably be 450 hp instead of the 475hp I was hoping for.
Last I remember GM was working on a DSG.

Honestly does it matter how they get to amazing performance or that they get to amazing performance.

And sure when you need a new clutch you just buy two instead of one not that big of a deal, my concern with DSG is if you need a new transmission. the fact that they can cost upward to $20,000 I am willing to bet is a great deal more then the manual transmission used in the C6 now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also looking for C7 info

I'm another guy who came here multiple times a day back when the C6 info was being leaked out here. I don't post, but I do come to read a couple times a week.

BUT, now that the C7 is "cooking", I'm back here in a big way again.....But, the problem is, the dude who was the "insider" that was leaking TONS of info and details has not been on here in a long time. I can't think of his name right now, but I posted months back asking about him and got nothing. I don't know if we will be seeing the advanced info like last time.

As for the C7.....Considering GM sells what, 12 million vehicles per year, I can't figure out why GM would give a CRAP what the milage is on the Corvette, since they only sell a *MAX* of 30,000 of them a year. If the Corvette got 5mpg, it would not have ANY affect on the Corporate Average for the year. Don't ruin the Corvette to get an extra 2mpg out of it that won't even matter. People who buy Corvettes don't give a flip about getting 37mpg.

The basic Corvette platform is automotive perfection. Don't waste money/time redeveloping the basic structure. For the performance of the car (and size), it is insanely light weight already. The performance is already stunning for all models of Vette. Spend the time/money to give us a NEWLY STYLED BODY. I'm a huge Corvette fan, but the Vette is boring me almost as badly as the 911. It needs to "look like a Vette", but damn, can we whip out some GM Design effort?!?! Since 1984, it has been subtle tiny updates. Finally, the interior of the Vette is downright horrific. Go sit in a 2010 Buick LaCross. You can get that thing for $28,000 and its GM designed interior is **STUNNING**. And its a freaking BUICK. The CTS, the new Equinox.....GM has shown it can build a great interior, so now lets see them unleash on the Corvettes insides! The C4 Vettes seats were better than the current cars seats. Also, can we get some leather that is not paper thin plastic?! The C7 Corvette also needs to have an instrument cluster like the Lexus LFA.

BUT, most of all.....The Corvette has to continue to be a monster like it has with the C6. The base C6 is awsome, but the Z06?!?! And then the freaking ZR1?!?! Good Lord. Don't let us slip back into 1974 again. Don't let the C6 be the highwater mark, and the C7 come out with "a really neat interior"! but 300hp. Do that, and you won't see me buying......

Oh, and GM, keep supporting the best ambassadors any car company has ever had. The Corvette Racing Team. Doug Fehan, Pratt & Miller, Johnny O, Ron Fellows, every member of that team has done more to create good will and change GMs image in the minds of "snobby road racing fans" than any amount of cash spent on commercials.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts