Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's between the L88 long style big block hood or the regular Big Block hood.

Any thoughts on which way to go? I'm kind of on the fence, Is there a benefit to one over the other? I know the L88 long hood eliminates the wiper door, good thing perhaps?:huh:

L88 Hood

Big Block hood

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
L88 hood, no question. Find a car with one and look at it from 100 ft away.

Plus, the BB hood has minimal clearance for an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
L88 Hood gives much more clearance for intakes, carbs, FI, blower, supercharger, etc..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I've never been a fan of the L88 hood. To me, it's just esthetically too tall for the rest of the car. If it is needed for clearance, I understand. But if not, I much prefer the standard BB hood on that car. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one is probably going to need the clearance.;) I like lots and lots of power.:devil:

Is there any advantage to not having the wiper door? I'd think those would have a tendancy to get stuck alot but I don't know much about em.:huh:

I think we are going to go all Black on this car. Was going to do Red but I'm thinking Bat mobile.:devil:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
The wiper door is operated by vacuum.. Anything to get rid of vacuum is good!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
L88 no question. Not only does it look better, but the cowl allows you to create an airbox to feed the engine cool air from the low pressure zone in front of the windshield.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
L88...cowl allows you to create an airbox to feed the engine cool air from the low pressure zone in front of the windshield....
Genuine L-88 hoods have the airbox installed. Nothing additional to create.

If you go with the long hood, make sure it's one specifically designed for the 68-72 model years to eliminate the wiper door. Any 73 and up long hood will bolt on, but will not match the 68-72 fender tops at the base of the windshield.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
L88 no question. Not only does it look better, but the cowl allows you to create an airbox to feed the engine cool air from the low pressure zone in front of the windshield.
I think it's actually a high-pressure zone, but either way it is a great perk. However, it requires a real L88 hood, not just an L88 style high-rise hood which is much cheaper.

I personally like wiper door as it adds character to the earlier C3's (and I've never had an issue with mine opening or closing, knock on wood :laughing:). That said, I think it looks goofy as hell with the L88 hood as shown in the first pic...

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's actually a high-pressure zone, but either way it is a great perk. However, it requires a real L88 hood, not just an L88 style high-rise hood which is much cheaper.

I personally like wiper door as it adds character to the earlier C3's (and I've never had an issue with mine opening or closing, knock on wood :laughing:). That said, I think it looks goofy as hell with the L88 hood as shown in the first pic...
Yes :agree: I guess that's the L88 short hood...I noticed that too.

So where is a good place to purchase a L88 long style hood? Will the reproduction ones work? I think they are around $600 something from ZIP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
L88 Hood

I think TexDentist is right, An L88 hood would look odd on a TOTALLY STOCK car with small skinny wheels all around.
But, With wider wheels in the rear and side exhaust, the L88 hood looks right at home. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think TexDentist is right, An L88 hood would look odd on a TOTALLY STOCK car with small skinny wheels all around.
But, With wider wheels in the rear and side exhaust, the L88 hood looks right at home. JMHO.
My 69 already has the side exhaust and will have wider wheels, it's going to be far from stock.;)

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just googled the Stinger hood and it's nice but I think I still prefer the look of the L88 long hood better.;)

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Just googled the Stinger hood and it's nice but I think I still prefer the look of the L88 long hood better.;)
:agree: Right choice..Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:agree: Right choice..Just sayin'
I can't sleep at night dreaming about this damn car. I dream about what color, engine size, wheels....you name it. Corvette fever has struck me all over again.:thud::WTF

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I can't sleep at night dreaming about this damn car. I dream about what color, engine size, wheels....you name it. Corvette fever has struck me all over again.:thud::WTF
Sweet....Good for the family as well..TLH's will love Corvettes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts