Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to mess with the rear deck now that I am about to order the bow lock bolts. Will be odd to see the top actually bolted down :p

The decklid itself pops opens fine to get the roof in and out, but there is an issue with the roof release. I can see what is causing it, and wanted to run it through here real quick.

The problem is, when I pull on the roof release level, it hits the other part, what appears to be the latch rod holder.
Overall

Lower part

Contact

closer shot

from underneath

As an aside, I can't seem to find a lot of the parts for the levers online. The assembly manual calls the whole thing '3945236 - Control Asm'

Since this is a completed assembly, the assembly manual does not go into any detail, and none of my other books really seem to go into this spot either.

It would appear that I could remove the whole tab of the lever entirely, it does not appear to have a function. It actually looks like it will hit the bottom of the square bracket even if it did not hit the wire older.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm not sure what is hitting what but the assembly of the decklid is in your AIM, page H110, UPC1-F6. There are adjustments to the cables and control rods that are kind of difficult but, once adjusted work pretty well.

Take your time and figure out what does what under there and I think you will get it working. Not sure if its OK to mention this (I guess I'll find out) but Paragon sells most of these components.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With this car, I'm never quite sure if I even have the right parts installed to start with :lookinup:

The lever that is supposed to release the roof hits the tab that the screw is on that is holding the wire that runs off to the left side.

I couldn't find any adjustments for this area, though I would expect they would only change the length of the wires and such, and that couldn't fix this, I believe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think I see the problem now. The release handle (for the top) is in the wrong position. It should be symmetrical with the deck release lever, a mirror image. Your is towards the back of the car too far. There is a little tab on the lever, that is the stop. It rests against the bracket. The rod that goes back to the crank arm for the top release should point straight back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the proper alignment, it's hard to tell exactly needs to happen when you start off wrong. :crazy:

I pulled the rod and spring off, had to give the lever a little bend to get it past the tab, but now that it is where it should be, it appears that it will work. Now I need to wait for my bolts to come in.

Thanks much :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm trying to assemble my decklid components from scratch, and these pics and comments were very helpful to see how things should be setup.

Does anyone have any pictures they could post of the latch areas of the decklid? I'm trying to figgure out how to connect the rods from the handle to the latches and am having issues on the drivers side latch.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer,
Doug

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the pics, they helped me find out what my issue was. I have 2 passenger side latches on the decklid!!!

Wouldn'tcha know that the only thing that was already installed on the decklid would be wrong! Oh well, I guess now I have an excuse to go buy more stuff.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I have 2 passenger side latches on the decklid!!!... I guess now I have an excuse to go buy more stuff.
Do you have the AIM? The AIM has diagrams of all the hardware and set up on the decklid, plus the orignial part numbers.

You will find left and right decklid latches to release the decklid. There are also left and right rear bow latches to hold the rear bow of the folding top.

You will also want to check the rear bow pin receivers on '68s. They require smaller pins than the 69-up models (1/4 vs. 3/8 if memory serves).

;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will also want to check the rear bow pin receivers on '68s. They require smaller pins than the 69-up models (1/4 vs. 3/8 if memory serves).

;)
Close.

Early 68's have the 1/4 inch, late 68-75 have the 3/8. Luckily, I have the late ones, they were only 10 bucks vs. 22 each :p

As an aside, what can you do with the AIM part numbers? Lets say I need bolt # 121906. What can I do with that number? (it's the one that holds the acc pedal rod to the lever. happen to have mine open to this page H196)

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
My '72 deck lid looks identical to the one posted by OP/up top there....nothing differant....was out of adjustment when I got the car...all I did was adjust the cable stops for engageing both cables at the same time...simple job really, make sure the shroud clamps are in secure, and noting my latches holding the lid down are the same, left to right....original deck casting, no problem....Now the convert top hold down latches are R&L versions.....

Over the years I noticed something about hte pass side deck latch, it kept tearing up the inner body edge and that little chrome strip which activates the latch on the way down...to hook on the loop underneath....I had to cut off part of the flip lever to make it work....not an issue, and hasn't been once since doing that....

the over center on that handle is a problem but solved by bending the tab enough to engage the frame....

dap of oil, not an issue...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.