Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan 27 (Reuters) - Some of the 30-plus deepwater rigs that were in the Gulf of Mexico have moved to other markets, first because of a U.S. halt called last May after BP Plc's (BP.L: Quote) well blowout, and then because of the lack of permits once the moratorium was lifted.

Below are rigs contracted to work in the Gulf of Mexico that have been or will be moved to other regions.

* Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc (DO.N: Quote) said on July 9 that the Ocean Endeavor, contracted to earn about $290,000 per day from Devon Energy Corp (DVN.N: Quote) in the Gulf of Mexico, would move to Egypt under a new deal with Burullus Gas Co. [ID:nN09154557]

* Diamond said on July 12 it would move the Ocean Confidence, under contract to Murphy Oil Corp (MUR.N: Quote), from the Gulf to the Republic of Congo. [ID:nN12212133] The rig is now drilling wells for Cobalt International Energy Inc (CIE.N: Quote) off Angola, but is due to return to U.S. waters in October.

* Transocean (RIGN.VX: Quote)(RIG.N: Quote), the world's largest offshore drilling contractor, said on Sept. 1 that it had moved its Marianas rig, under contract to Italy's Eni (ENI.MI: Quote), from the Gulf to work in Nigeria. [ID:nN01152276]

* Transocean said on Sept. 14 that its Discoverer Americas vessel, under contract to Norway's Statoil (STL.OL: Quote), was leaving for Egypt and was due back in the Gulf in March. [ID:nN14103743]

* Ensco Plc (ESV.N: Quote) said on Dec. 1 that its newly built 8503 rig, under contracted with Cobalt, would work for Tullow Oil Plc (TLW.L: Quote) off French Guiana for three months. [ID:nN01131883]

* Pride International Inc's (PDE.N: Quote) newly built Deep Ocean Ascension, under contract with BP, is moving to the Mediterranean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico in the first quarter, according to the latest Pride fleet update.

* Noble Corp (NE.N: Quote) said on Jan. 27 that the Clyde Boudreaux would move to Brazil for a year at a knock-down rate of $290,000 per day to work for Royal Dutch Shell Plc (RDSa.L: Quote), starting mid-April, and that it expected more to follow. [ID:nN27125865] (Reporting by Anna Driver in Houston and Braden Reddall in San Francisco; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn, Gary Hill)

http://af.reuters.com/article/congoNews/idAFN2726555420110127

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
weird...

Upheval just said they opened up gulf drilling and were more busy than a 9 peckered dog in a breeding house..... a few weeks ago....:huh:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obama administration approves first deepwater drilling permit since BP oil spill
By Hiram Lee
2 March 2011

The Obama administration has approved the first deepwater drilling permit for the Gulf of Mexico since the Deepwater Horizon disaster, which caused the worst oil spill in history. The permit was granted to Houston, Texas-based oil and gas company Noble Energy Inc. It allows Noble Energy to resume drilling at a well it had begun work on just days before the BP oil spill and was forced to abandon when the Obama administration established a moratorium on offshore drilling in May 2010. Noble’s well is located less than 20 miles away from the site of BP’s Macondo well.

There are currently seven more permits under consideration by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE), the agency which oversees offshore drilling, and that agency’s director, Michael Bromwich, expects more will be approved within weeks. With the BOEMRE decision, the Obama administration is making it clear that it is putting the debacle of the BP oil spill behind it and announcing that the Gulf of Mexico is once again open for business.

Bromwich said of the decision to approve Noble Energy’s permit that the “industry has been waiting for signals that deepwater drilling would be able to resume, and I think they’ll take this as that signal.” Rising stock prices among the major oil and energy companies during trading on Tuesday suggest the Obama administration’s “signal” was clearly received. Shares of Ensco, Noble Corp. and Diamond Offshore all rose following the approval of Nobel Energy’s permit. Transocean Ltd., one of the corporations responsible for the Deepwater Horizon disaster, also saw its stock rise by 10 cents on Tuesday, to $84.73 a share.

Randall Luthi, president of the National Ocean Industries Association, responded to the BOEMRE decision, saying “Taking the Department of Interior at its word that this is not a token permit and that many are lined up to be approved in the near future, today’s action sends a calming signal to operators, producers and service companies that the long drought is just about over.”

Nearly one year after the blowout at BP’s Deepwater Horizon oilrig, none of those responsible for the disaster have been held accountable. The environmental catastrophe in the Gulf region continues while the majority of workers and small business owners whose livelihoods were destroyed by the disaster remain without compensation. While the Obama administration gave its assurances that drilling would not resume in the Gulf until measures had been put in place to ensure the safety of the environment, no substantive changes have been made to safety practices within the industry. It will be business as usual for the oil companies now preparing to return to the Gulf.

The decision to once again permit drilling in the Gulf comes only days after a presentation by marine scientist Samantha Joye of the University of Georgia delivered at the annual conference of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Washington in which Joye revealed evidence of extensive environmental damage persisting in the Gulf.

Joye’s report contradicts recent claims by Kenneth Feinberg, the administrator of BP’s $20 billion compensation fund for spill victims, that the Gulf of Mexico will have fully recovered by 2012. Joye’s findings reveal that, far from being on the verge of total recovery, the Gulf seafloor remains coated with large amounts of oil, as well as soot resulting from the burning of surface oil that also contains petroleum products.

Contradicting reports that microbes had broken down much of the oil and gas discharged into the Gulf waters, Joye reported to the AAAS meeting that “Magic microbes consumed maybe 10 percent of the total discharge, the rest of it we don’t know. There’s a lot of it out there.” Joye presented photographic evidence of dead sea life, including crabs, tube worms and brittle stars discovered by her team on the Gulf seafloor.

In an online discussion from AAAS, Joye described some of the results of her research into the level of contamination in Gulf waters. “The BP Blowout was not an oil spill,” said Joye, “it was a hydrocarbon discharge. The discharge contained 40 percent gaseous hydrocarbons like methane. We converted this gaseous discharge to ‘barrel of oil equivalent’ units and found that the gas component accounted for an additional 1.5 to 3 million barrel of oil equivalents discharged. This increases the size of the discharge by a significant margin, by 30 to 50 percent.”

Responding directly to Feinberg’s report, Joye told the Associated Press, “I’ve been to the bottom. I’ve seen what it looks like with my own eyes. It’s not going to be fine by 2012.”

And so you don't feel as though I grabbed it from right wing outlet... I got one from your ideological view.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/mar2011/oild-m02.shtml

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147444

"On a drilling note, there is one rig in deep water that has started drilling. I am getting off one that should be turning to the right by tomorrow once the BOP pressure test are completed and one more should be drilling within a week. About dam time. I am busier then a nine peckered dog. Cha-ching!!! "

weird....:huh:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147444

"On a drilling note, there is one rig in deep water that has started drilling. I am getting off one that should be turning to the right by tomorrow once the BOP pressure test are completed and one more should be drilling within a week. About dam time. I am busier then a nine peckered dog. Cha-ching!!! "

weird....:huh:
But, how many were drilling or preparing to drill before April 2010? I'm guessing more than one.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
But, how many were drilling or preparing to drill before April 2010? I'm guessing more than one.
But we are talking from dec to now.
And the main article preludes to a current ban.

Soooo...

We banned, then unbanned, and rebanned again?

You need to understand, if you dont already, that many of these energy investment sites, just like political sites, promote fiction to support thier needs.

Just like when the thunderhorse platform was said to be operating when it was still gettting inspected and idle, just so investors would spend more money since they know we sell our oil overseas.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
weird...

Upheval just said they opened up gulf drilling and were more busy than a 9 peckered dog in a breeding house..... a few weeks ago....:huh:
I thought it was for new drilling, nope it was for work overs. From what I have been told only 2 new permits for new wells have been issued at this time. As far as the report for the rigs leaving the gulf, it is true. Just got my Brazilian Visa to down south for support. Since the first of the year, I have worked only two weeks. Dont get me wrong, I love being at home but this is crazy. Good thing is I will be on the Noble Danny Adkins on Thursday. Hopefully things will start looking up soon.:huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I thought it was for new drilling, nope it was for work overs. From what I have been told only 2 new permits for new wells have been issued at this time. As far as the report for the rigs leaving the gulf, it is true. Just got my Brazilian Visa to down south for support. Since the first of the year, I have worked only two weeks. Dont get me wrong, I love being at home but this is crazy. Good thing is I will be on the Noble Danny Adkins on Thursday. Hopefully things will start looking up soon.:huh:
But if they are issuing permits, the article is fradulent.
There is no ban.
The gulf is open for drilling for companies with permits.

Also.....most of those rigs bailed last fall.

We already had 3 threads discussing this and deep water drilling in Brazil, in far deeper water than the BP incident location.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
There is no ban.

We already had 3 threads discussing this and deep water drilling in Brazil, in far deeper water than the BP incident location.
Doesn't matter. The're gone...off to earn their keep somewhere else. The economies that supported them and depend on them in Louisiana, Arkansas, Missisippi and Florida are now going to be sucking wind for good now. Nice one Obama/Salazar...

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I hope gas stays in the $5 per gallon range once it gets there.

Effing losers.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Doesn't matter. The're gone...off to earn their keep somewhere else. The economies that supported them and depend on them in Louisiana, Arkansas, Missisippi and Florida are now going to be sucking wind for good now. Nice one Obama/Salazar...
those rigs left in aug thru oct 2010

also those oil driven states have been posting increases in employment and revenue the last few months.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
There is no ban.

3 permits may "end" a ban but it show that there is a major log jam that Obama wants to keep in place.

3 permits:rolling: like that is anything in the scheme of things:rolling:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
3 permits may "end" a ban but it show that there is a major log jam that Obama wants to keep in place.

3 permits:rolling: like that is anything in the scheme of things:rolling:
Was in Galveston at night a couple of months ago, the line of rigs in the distance had to number in the 20+ that were no more then floating hotels. Been on several of them since the start of the moritoriam. They wanted to work the bugs out while they waited. That time has come and gone. As far as rigs that have already left, skeptical. Mearsk developer, still waiting for a permit and looking at Egyptian waters to move to. Noble Clide Boudroux, not drilling and going to Brazil.
I work with in the industry. I am not the pulse and dont know all the ins and outs, just what our support group knows. We do cover quite a bit, being the worlds largest drilling supply company (NOV).
Ya, three permits in the grand scheme of things, lol, ya, they have really opened the floor gates (ya right). Enjoy the gas prices now and whats to come!!

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I hope gas stays in the $5 per gallon range once it gets there.

Effing losers.

Dude Quit being such a slave to these Dick'Heads and Learn to make and Run your own E85

You can make this **** in your backyard and its

105 Octane !

STICK IT TO THE MAN :nuts:

Like I am:nuts:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

Dude Quit being such a slave to these Dick'Heads and Learn to make and Run your own E85

You can make this **** in your backyard and its

105 Octane !

STICK IT TO THE MAN :nuts:

Like I am:nuts:
Isn't that called moonshining and won't the federal government come arrest you for making alcohol in you back yard?:huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Ya, three permits in the grand scheme of things, lol, ya, they have really opened the floor gates (ya right). Enjoy the gas prices now and whats to come!!
When somebody comes out with functional factual journalism that states that the ban is lifted but there is a logjam issue with permits and WHY........there is a delay issuing permits with a fair, unbiased, fact laden, script,.....

Then I will take it as it is.
if the doe is not issuing permits due to companies with poor safety history, or poor regulation compliance, previous sloppy work, accidents, ect....Then good for them

If they are just doing it to be dicks, shame on them.

Either way....

More drilling in the gulf will not change the true reasons oil is swinging up or down.
The gulf is not a large enough percentage of global output, and also does not drive more, or lack of, speculation and market value.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
When somebody comes out with functional factual journalism that states that the ban is lifted but there is a logjam issue with permits and WHY........there is a delay issuing permits with a fair, unbiased, fact laden, script,.....

Then I will take it as it is.
if the doe is not issuing permits due to companies with poor safety history, or poor regulation compliance, previous sloppy work, accidents, ect....Then good for them

If they are just doing it to be dicks, shame on them.

Either way....

More drilling in the gulf will not change the true reasons oil is swinging up or down.
The gulf is not a large enough percentage of global output, and also does not drive more, or lack of, speculation and market value.
Well, Obama did say he wanted energy to skyrocket.. is the horses mouth good enough for you? :huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
As gas prices advanced from 2002 to 2007, drilling in the gulf increased tenfold and did nothing to stop the advance of oil pricing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts