Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anything out there that will take the grease off my block and pan without taking the paint with it? Or should I just use typical degreaser sparingly?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Gunk is good stuff for the bluk. Simple Green is good for detailing. Use full strength. BMW makes a detailing cleaner that is Super. (Don't tell anybody).

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, thanks guys. I'll try the detergent first since it's on hand. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
IF i'ts really olde dried on crap like on a olde car , you need use gasoline and a wash pan under it, with a still old paint brush with bristles cut short....

or a scrub brush that will NOT loose it's stiff in gas....

I have never found anything else that cuts engine grease/accumulated road grime like gasoline......

UNLESS you use expensice carb/brake cleaners....who affords THAT???

it's a nasty job, but SOMEONES' gotta do it....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Simple Green and a Pressure Washers

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
IF i'ts really olde dried on crap like on a olde car , you need use gasoline and a wash pan under it, with a still old paint brush with bristles cut short....
Please don't use gasoline. It is very volitol ,volitale, valitel, oh crap,very explosive. Gasoline goes inside the emgine, not on the outside. One little spark igniting the vapors and you will be a crispy critter

DO NOT USE GASOLINE

Gasoline is readily available and routinely used in most households. In spite of the routine use of gasoline, many people are unaware of or unappreciative of the dangers of gasoline. Gasoline is dangerous because it is highly volatile –the fumes are capable of ignition up to 12 feet away from a pooled source. This inherent danger is further multiplied by its explosive potential. Flammables burn at close to room temperature (100 degrees F), when they are near a spark, flame, or even static electricity. It can float on water and may spread long distances, making ignition and flash back possible. Gasoline vapor is highly explosive and may ignite as a “fireball” with a temperature of 15,000 degrees F.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm just did mine last week. simple green full strength was great where I could put a brush, otherwise it didn't move much. I used the gunk cleaner (4 cans worth) and still can see some crud on the sides of the block and in crevices but I can now also make out the factory crayon markings and still have paint intact.

steve

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Please don't use gasoline. It is very volitol ,volitale, valitel, oh crap,very explosive. Gasoline goes inside the emgine, not on the outside. One little spark igniting the vapors and you will be a crispy critter

DO NOT USE GASOLINE

OH, I know the craps explosive as hell, use outside in a breeze, obviously....

I have tried other ways in the past and not impressed....simple green just don't cut heavy buildup, it's only OK for minor stuff....and I tried pressure washer once.....PW is fine for flat surfaces, but the spray backs from anything complicated like a car seem to get ME every damn time....so I stopped that....

I do note however that AZ has changed their famous yellow/black can formulation to something that doesn't work....so have to spend twice as much money on something that is not quite as effective now a daze....
differant can, multi colors AZ product label....

·
Registered
120 Posts
cleaning engine

My engine bay is very dull (Stock 1980 350). I have no chrome what so ever under there. It looks as if it has never been really cleaned. I do use engine degreaser and a rag to wipe up oil and other dirt that I can reach. The thing is that I cannot reach many of the nooks and crannies. I'm wondering if I can go to the local do it yourself car wash and power wash the engine bay with the spray wand. What areas do I need to cover, and what should I use to cover them? Also does wheel cleaner do a good job to take off dirt in the engine bay? I use Meguiar's "All Wheel" cleaner on the wheels and it does wonders for the mess on the the wheels, all I have to do is rinse and its good, so would this work in the engine bay as well?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I'm wondering if I can go to the local do it yourself car wash and power wash the engine bay with the spray wand. What areas do I need to cover, and what should I use to cover them?...
Yep. Sure can. Essentially the same as a pressure washer. You don't want to blast directly into the carb or the distributor. Cover each with plastic bags.

Do the radiator and AC condenser while you're there.

Take a shop rag with you. If moisture collects under the distributor cap and the car is hard to start after the wash, use the rag to wipe out the distributor cap.

Gunk makes an engine cleaner to be used on a warm engine. Spray it on at home, drive to the car wash, then squirt it off.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Castrol Super Clean. Great stuff. Spray it on wait a minute or two and wash it off. Power washing is best. It won't remve the paint. Be careful with this stuff. Do not have extended exposure to your skin as it will dry it out and you will have peeling fingers. It literally neutralizes the oil from deep in your skin. If you get it on any aluminum surfaces, wash it off right away. It tends to darken it slightly. I used it on the Muncies in the Vette and Camaro to remove all the old gear lube inside and out. As soon as you get the surface clean, rinse it off and it won't darken the surface.

·
Registered
959 Posts

DO NOT USE GASOLINE

:agree: that sound dangerous....mineral spirits/paint thinner is what I use in my solvent tank.....try some with a parts washing brush.
....redvetracr

·
Registered
120 Posts
engine cleaning

Hey, alright guys. Thanx for the quick response. I will get on that today. The weather here is Chicago is absolutly perfect, 75 and not a cloud in the sky.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
anything out there that will take the grease off my block and pan without taking the paint with it? Or should I just use typical degreaser sparingly?
Diesel in one of those cleaner type guns hooked up to a compressor. Then use a powers washer or steam cleaner to get rid of all the softened crap.

Put a plastic bag over the dizzy and carb. Wear a plastic face shield...

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
:agree: that sound dangerous....mineral spirits/paint thinner is what I use in my solvent tank.....try some with a parts washing brush.
....redvetracr

OK, guys, somehow I did not envision using gas IN the garage....

but outside on whatever needs it....

I stand by my statement that NOTHING except expensive carb cleaners cuts grease/filth like gasoline...period....

unless of course you got a
machine shop parts/blocks/heads washer....THEN it's clean....

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
...I stand by my statement that NOTHING except expensive carb cleaners cuts grease/filth like gasoline...period....
One flash and you're ash :crazy:

Diesel...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Gunk is good stuff for the bluk. Simple Green is good for detailing. Use full strength. BMW makes a detailing cleaner that is Super. (Don't tell anybody).

:agree: Simple Green is really good stuff!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts