Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this video and was like, what the hell. Oh yea, I would deffinately be filing a civil suit at least, if not looking into criminal charges.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You have the right.......... to do what we tell you to do, oh which is subject to change right after I say it if I feel the need. Who the **** was she tell to go in your house. The last time I checked I will stand where I god dam please in my yard. More evidence that the country is going to hell in a hand basket or a basket net, hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
It's all coming together now. DC's forum has a blue background, and the University of Kentucky (Big Blue) is going to the final four. In this state Southern Baptists are the second largest religion next to KY Basketball. There are not enough State cops or National Guard for that matter to remove one basketball goal from anywhere in the state.

Those authorities in Delaware need to really get a life. Who was the bitch anyway. Was she a cop of some sort, maybe a detective. (Dickless Tracy). I dunno. She did flat out lie though and those homeowners should have some recourse.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
What was the reason given for the action ? Was that not private property ?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its kinda a grey area on this one, usually when I see news like this I try to search deeper here is what I have read.
Someone in the neighborhood unhappy with kids playing b-ball in the street made a complaint to the govt. The govt then went out and removed the poles because they claim that only mailboxes can be placed x amt of ft from the curb. There is conflicting arguments as to whether the city owns or has exclusive rights to the first few feet of land/sidewalk or whether it is the homeowners property. It kinda looks like its gonna be one of those cases that will be perceived as a dick move, but the city was just finally enforcing the local codes.

I think the bigger issue in the case of this video is public employees overstepping their power and also lying to the people who just wanted a reasonable answer. Also I personally think the particular pole in the video was removed for no reason. From the video it appears to be at the end of a culdesac so what traffic could it be affecting. It sucks, but just ante up the $200 and get a roll away hoop.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Its kinda a grey area on this one, usually when I see news like this I try to search deeper here is what I have read.
Someone in the neighborhood unhappy with kids playing b-ball in the street made a complaint to the govt. The govt then went out and removed the poles because they claim that only mailboxes can be placed x amt of ft from the curb. There is conflicting arguments as to whether the city owns or has exclusive rights to the first few feet of land/sidewalk or whether it is the homeowners property. It kinda looks like its gonna be one of those cases that will be perceived as a dick move, but the city was just finally enforcing the local codes.

I think the bigger issue in the case of this video is public employees overstepping their power and also lying to the people who just wanted a reasonable answer. Also I personally think the particular pole in the video was removed for no reason. From the video it appears to be at the end of a culdesac so what traffic could it be affecting. It sucks, but just ante up the $200 and get a roll away hoop.

:agree:
Lots of good points. But the truth of the mater is that local codes affect what can be placed by the street and what cannot be. There are many reasons for this. Some have to do with public safety. If a vehicle was to strike this pole and someone in the vehicle got seriuosly hurt or killed the town would be held liable. Many towns have rules about mailboxes for this same reason. If this homeowner has a problem with the law he certainly could run for office and do something about it, but of course the people in the town would have to judge the merits of his candidacy. They would have to decide if it would realy be a good thing to allow any citizen to put whatever he or she wants to by the side of the road, after all you cannot say that one guy could do it but another cannot. That would mean that every citizen could put up his own basketball hoop on any street. Or any citizen could put up say an antena for thier CB radio right by the road or maybe a totem pole...this is where you realy need to look at the rights of property ownes VS the rights of everybody to have safe streets to drive on.

This guy should build his kid a basketball court in his back yard, rather than taking property from all of his neighbors to let his kid play basketball.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts