Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senator Jim DeMint, in partnership with Chairman of the Republican Study Committee (RSC) Rep. Jim Jordan and Chairman of the RSC Budget and Spending Task force Scott Garrett, have unveiled their solution to reducing federal spending in order to address the crippling amount of debt the United States currently holds.

Jordan pointed out the amount of debt is nearly the size of our entire economy and has grown from $8.6 trillion just four years ago to more than $14 trillion today and that spending cuts have to be addressed in order to prevent falling further into debt.

The Spending Reduction Act is the first step to halting mounting debt and if passed will save taxpayers $2.5 trillion through 2021. Spending cuts outlined in the bill would take place immediately and throughout the next decade.

DeMint referred to the legislation as a way to make tough decisions in order to preserve freedom rather than sending the country over the edge into bankruptcy.

NRO outlines some of the cuts:

– Reducing the federal workforce by 15 percent through attrition, and eliminating automatic pay increases for the next five years.

– Eliminating all remaining “stimulus” funding. $45 billion

– Privatizing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. $30 billion

– Prohibiting any funding of the implementation — or legal defense — of Obamacare.

– Cutting the federal travel budget in half. $7.5 billion annually

– Cutting the federal vehicle budget by 20 percent. $600 million annually

– Eliminating the Corporation for Public Broadcasting subsidy. $445 million annually

– Eliminating Amtrak subsidies. $1.565 billion annually

– Repealing Title X Family Planning. $318 million annually

– Repealing the Davis-Bacon Act (which sets “prevailing wages” for workers on federal projects). $1 billion-plus annually (OUTSTANDING !!!)

– Prohibiting taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees. $1.2 billion savings over ten years (nice !)

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/KatieP...jordan,_garrett_unveil_spending_reduction_act

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Bullshit posturing from the party with absolutely no power.

I thought the pubs weren't going to prepose any deficit reduction measures? Are you confused on what you are arguing about again?

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
All good stuff. There's a long way to go, but it's a start. We didn't get here overnight, so it will take some time to get back in shape. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I thought the pubs weren't going to prepose any deficit reduction measures? Are you confused on what you are arguing about again?
:laughing: The thing about the "intellectual" left is, they are dumb. They don't know that all spending bills must originate in the House.. the Reps have the house, but no power.. :lookinup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
These cuts are a good start, but they aren't enough. They don't eliminate any major government agencies. Dick Armey put out an article yesterday outlining deep cuts that we could live with that would actually seriously reduce our deficit. Read this article for a conservative's dream and a liberal's nightmare.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703779704576073750780454850.html

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bullshit posturing from the party with absolutely no power.
No, no... bullshit posturing for the expressed reason to create regulation, is a byproduct of you ideology. This is due to the lefts inability to accept sad facts in life. Freedom and capitalism creates winners and losers. The left in general, abhors that thought and seeks equality through regulation and the judicial.

Your very response... proves this fact. These are real and attainable goals. You simply see them as an affront to equality... when in fact, they are a correction and an attribute to Freedom and liberty.

The next few years are going to be painful for you... no more so, then the pain we have endured over the last few.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
:laughing: The thing about the "intellectual" left is, they are dumb. They don't know that all spending bills must originate in the House.. the Reps have the house, but no power.. :lookinup:
:laughing: The thing about the "dumb" right is, they are really dumb. They don't know that the approval of both Houses of Congress is required for any dumb bill, including a dumb revenue bill, to become dumb law.. :lookinup:

So while I agree with you that these dumb spending cuts are a good place to start, they still have to get through the dumb Senate, which currently happens to be controlled by the dumb Democrats, who currently do not see eye to eye with the really dumb Republicans.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I think all of those are ideas worthy of serious debate.

I do note one glaring absence: Earmarks/Pork/District spending

Would like to see most of those go bye-bye. Some are good projects, worthy of funding. But I would like to see them debated, not written in after passage.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
:laughing: The thing about the "dumb" right is, they are really dumb. They don't know that the approval of both Houses of Congress is required for any dumb bill, including a dumb revenue bill, to become dumb law.. :lookinup:
Sure we do, but we also know there is going to be no spending, unless the house initiates it. That is a pretty healthy amount of power.. wouldn't you say? ;)

So while I agree with you that these dumb spending cuts are a good place to start, they still have to get through the dumb Senate, which currently happens to be controlled by the dumb Democrats, who currently do not see eye to eye with the really dumb Republicans.
Well, I bet they start seeing eye to eye on a lot of things when the debt ceiling debate comes along... ;) Especially with Obama's 2006 speech regarding the debt ceiling is still fresh in people's mind..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sure we do, but we also know there is going to be no spending, unless the house initiates it. That is a pretty healthy amount of power.. wouldn't you say? ;)

Well, I bet they start seeing eye to eye on a lot of things when the debt ceiling debate comes along... ;) Especially with Obama's 2006 speech regarding the debt ceiling is still fresh in people's mind..
Yes and I hope so.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
I am glad the Pubs won the House. 1- party rule must end.

I am glad the Pubs won house and senate in MN and that a Dem won governor. Complete 180 from how we have been for a long time. Well needed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts