Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snyder to get Emergency Manager powers this week

Public workers in Michigan lost job security yesterday as the state House signed off on a bill that allows the governor to appoint people to take over financially troubled local governments and schools and cancel labor contracts.

Less than two months after Gov. Rick Snyder asked the Legislature to expand the state’s ability to intervene in communities facing budget problems, the Republican-controlled House and Senate have finalized a bill that gives unprecedented power to appointed Emergency Managers.

The Local Government and School District Fiscal Accountability Act creates a range of triggers for state involvement in local communities and allows the governor to appoint managers to fire local elected officials, break labor agreements, suspend collective bargaining rights for five years, order millage elections, take over pension funds and even dissolve local governments.

The law also contains a provision added by the Senate that gives towns a chance to avoid takeover by entering into a budgeting consent agreement with the state and becoming exempt from collective bargaining agreements.

“The Governor will sign,” spokeswoman Sara Wurfel said Tuesday afternoon. “He believes this was an important step forward and will be a key tool to help indicate and address fiscal problems earlier and more clearly in Michigan’s cities and schools with the hopes of avoiding the appointment of an emergency manager to begin with.”
Source

Benton Harbor City Council and Commissioners Stripped of All Power

Fresh from our "Isn't this America?" file, Todd A. Haywood of The Michigan Messenger is reporting that Joe Harris, the emergency financial manager of the city of Benton Harbor, Mich. has issued an order stripping all city boards and commissions of all their authority to take any action.

The order, signed Thursday, limits the actions available to such bodies to calling a meeting to order, approving the minutes of meetings and adjourning a meeting. The bodies are prohibited under the act from taking any other action without the express authority of the Emergency Financial Manager, Joseph Harris.

Harris' actions are allowed under a newly approved law which granted sweeping new powers to emergency financial managers. That legislation had drawn large protests, including attempts by some protesters to take over the state capitol building. The sit-in resulted in numerous arrests.

What in the world? The people don't get a voice or representation in any matters related to the city in which they live and pay taxes?

Apparently, this move is spreading. Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools announced that he would use powers granted to him under the act to change union contracts. See what happens when you don't pay attention and you don't vote? Extremists get into office and strip everybody of their right to representation including members of their own political party. That is not democracy, nor is Harris' ability to strip elected officials of their power thereby silencing the people.
Democracy is under attack. Ignore which party those responsible claim to be members of, this is a full on attack on the Constitution of the United States of America. If you cant see how troubling this is, imagine if Obama started rewritting and voiding contracts. This must be stopped!!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Source

Democracy is under attack. Ignore which party those responsible claim to be members of, this is a full on attack on the Constitution of the United States of America. If you cant see how troubling this is, imagine if Obama started rewritting and voiding contracts. This must be stopped!!
The courts WILL be involved, and my guess is that this won't fly in it's current state. The fact is, there is already a vehicle for wholesale cancelling of contracts when economics go south - it's called Bankruptcy. If I have read correctly, cities, school disticts, etc. can do it, but states can't. Let's face it. By hook or crook, some contracts are going to have to be reviewed and either modified or cancelled. The new economic conditions will not support many public worker contracts that were granted in better economic times. But I'm with you. Contracts need to be protected except in the most extreme circumstances, and bankruptcy is one of them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:laughing: Welcome to 1913..democracy lost to special interest without so much as a whimper, long before this happened.

Fascism is the "in" thing, get used to it.
At least we got to vote for which crook we wanted. :laughing:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
hey, if they cant pay the bills, and the elected officials refuse to allow a balanced budget to happen, i say good for them in getting fired. blah blah blah union contract blah blah it has to be done eventually because a lot of these contracts are not sustainable

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I was under the impression that the US Constitution only dealt with federal matters, and any state matters were left for those respective governments to deal with.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I was under the impression that the US Constitution only dealt with federal matters, and any state matters were left for those respective governments to deal with.
Yes, and no. If the power is granted in the constitution, then the federal government has jurisdiction. But, if it's not explicitly granted in the constitution, then it falls back to the states to handle. I think this could safely fall into an election category, which would give the feds jurisdiction.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, if they cant pay the bills, and the elected officials refuse to allow a balanced budget to happen, i say good for them in getting fired. blah blah blah union contract blah blah it has to be done eventually because a lot of these contracts are not sustainable
It doesnt bother you that unelected officials are allowed to fire elected officials?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
It doesnt bother you that unelected officials are allowed to fire elected officials?
Yes it does. It appears to me that this is the result of cowardly elected officials who don't want to have to take the blame for unpopular decisions that will have to be made to straighten out their financial mess. They just appointed a czar and gave him power. Since he's not elected, he doesn't have to kow-tow to the voters. Bad idea IMO. It would be better if the elected officials would just man up and make the hard decisions and LEAD their voters to understand why those decisions were needed. If they can't do that, there is a life beyond "public service".

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it does. It appears to me that this is the result of cowardly elected officials who don't want to have to take the blame for unpopular decisions that will have to be made to straighten out their financial mess. They just appointed a czar and gave him power. Since he's not elected, he doesn't have to kow-tow to the voters. Bad idea IMO. It would be better if the elected officials would just man up and make the hard decisions and LEAD their voters to understand why those decisions were needed. If they can't do that, there is a life beyond "public service".
:agree: Well said!

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Yes it does. It appears to me that this is the result of cowardly elected officials who don't want to have to take the blame for unpopular decisions that will have to be made to straighten out their financial mess.
:laughing: They don't have too.. what do they have to fear from the sheeple?

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Go ask that gaggle of Dems that got their asses kicked out in 2010. :D
:laughing: No need.. I just watch what their limp-dick replacements have done on cutting spending, and I am watching what their limp-dick replacements will do with the debt ceiling.. the GOP isn't anymore about real fixes, than the dems.. the real problem is, 1 in 4 people what the Republic restored, the other 3 just want their brand of ideology implemented.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts