Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the media is (rightfully) focused on Paul Ryan's bold 2012 budget proposal, there's a budget-related sideshow playing out inside the Beltway. Will Congress act to prevent a government shutdown by Friday? This question may sound familiar because it's been asked -- and answered -- several times in recent months. As negotiations continue, Senate Democrats are reportedly balking at several proposed ideas. These are the very same Democrats, of course, who refused to pass a 2011 budget when they controlled everything in 2010. These are also the very same Democrats who have introduced exactly diddly-squat in the way of competing alternatives since their first foray fell embarrassingly short early last month. Republicans continue to press for the adoption of H.R. 1, which slices $61 Billion (which almost sounds quaint in the context of the Ryan budget) while funding the government through the balance of the year. That full amount is unlikely to materialize, and Republican leaders are acknowledging that by floating a number of new compromises:
First, on the whole enchilada:

President Barack Obama warned Tuesday that he would not sign another stopgap spending bill without an agreement first on the 2011 budget, even as Republicans upped the ante, signaling that a $40 billion package of cuts might have the makings of a deal to avert a shutdown Friday.

Speaker John Boehner’s office refused comment, but several individuals, Republican and Democratic, confirmed that the Ohio Republican had raised the $40 billion number at a morning meeting at the White House with the president.

"Egads!" Harry Reid exclaims, "it's another extreme, tea party-appeasing plan." That's not a verbatim quote, but it pretty much captures the gist of Reid's whining:

“It seems every step we take, it’s something just to poke us in the eye,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who was part of the same White House meeting. “They are not trying to arrive at the finish line. It appears that they’re going to do everything they can to satisfy the tea party.”

Regretting that decision to abdicate your budget creation duties last year, Harry? Republicans are also peddling another one-week band-aid that cuts $12 Billion, but with a clever catch. Ed Morrissey explains:

[The list of cuts] spreads the pain fairly equally. Defense, however, takes more cuts than any, with rescissions of earmarks alone accounting for over $4 billion in reductions. However, the House bill would fund Defense for the full year, not just the one week period following the expiration of the current CR.

...Politically, that’s a smart move. That takes the “our troops won’t get paid” argument off the table for any future showdowns over the budget, and locks in the spending cuts in the area where Democrats love to challenge the GOP. Instead, Republicans can claim that they have already addressed their own sacred cows and challenge Democrats to do the same.

No deal, say the White House and Senate Democrats. This could be a bad political misstep. If the government partially shuts down after Friday, Republicans -- who have already acted three times to prevent shutdowns -- can say they placed two more middle-ground compromises on the table, both of which Democrats stubbornly rejected.
Democrats appear to have been outmaneuvered by the GOP today. Tick tock, guys. Friday's looming.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2011/04/05/democrats_rejecting_gop_deals_on_2011_cr

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Republicans: OK. We'll make you a deal. We'll only cut $33bil of things you want instead of $40bil. OK?

Democrats: Why don't we cut some of these things you want as well?

Republicans: See? See, America? The Democrats are rejecting our compromise! *points finger and jumps about like a little child*

:rolleyes:

But at least he met with the president for a whole hour and fifteen to give it the old college try, eh doctor?

Tools.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You understand that the Dems put forth a 6 billion dollar budget cut, right ? The biggest cuts are in defense spending. The dems have not passed a budget since 09. The 30 billion Obama was talking about cutting... was future spending, un-budgeted future spending. That's what they cut. Not present... future! They were willing to cut future spending by 30 billion... did you catch that ?

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
As it should be. Cutting already promised funding causes serious damage to the economy. You need to give departments time to adjust to the new funding levels. Slashing all willy-nilly now, while leaving out bloated defense budget alone, is stupid. Slashing education and research funding is cutting our throats when the Chinese and Indians pass us up.

Serious. Think for a moment about repercussions.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What repercussions... Greece ? Spain ? Those kinds of repercussions ? Would giving more money to the education department make our youth smarter ? How much money has been spent on research of GW ? Secondhand smoke ? Silicone breast implants ? Blueberries ? Are we better off for it ? -Are we better off as a nation and not being passed up in these areas ? We spend far more then they do collectively... should we not see the benefits and gains by now ?

We don't have a funding problem. Not in education or research... we have a spending problem. Vastly more then adequate monies have been appropriated to each and every one of these causes... and the answer to our inability to compete, is more money.

Think about the repercussions... seriously ??? These are the repercussions. Think about that...

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
$40 billion, would be like me cutting $10 off my family budget for the year.. $6 billion would be like me cutting $1.80 off my yearly budget.

Anything less than $100 billion, isn't even getting serious about the conversation.

I got some news for Scary Harry.. the Tea Party spoke last election, "We won", deal with it.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Dosent anybody realize these changes hammer the economy, poor, elderly, cause massive layoffs, more forclosures, more credit crunch, more devaluation of homes and property, more devaluation of usa wages, ect...?

And that rising energy and inflation will outpace any of these cuts/changes waaaaay before they even have a chance to benefit anything/one?

Inflation will outpace these changes in only a few years with current oil/energy inflation.

The source of our problems has not been addressed.
This is bandaid repairs paid for off the backs of the poor and middle class that will only make things worse.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
$40 billion, would be like me cutting $10 off my family budget for the year.. $6 billion would be like me cutting $1.80 off my yearly budget.

Anything less than $100 billion, isn't even getting serious about the conversation.
:agree:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dosent anybody realize these changes hammer the economy, poor, elderly, cause massive layoffs, more forclosures, more credit crunch, more devaluation of homes and property, more devaluation of usa wages, ect...?
You mean like what has been happening for the last couple of years ? The only one getting paid are the poor and the elderly. It is we, middle class working men and women -'The contributors" that have been hammered. We can not support you any more. You have taken far too much from us... while limiting our ability to contribute... which in turn, ultimately limits your ability to collect what you have confiscated from us.

That... is the realization you and those believing as you do... have not yet come to grasp. But... you will -sooner then you think. Now is the time to cut these handouts... and start to rebuild. If we simply eliminated the EPA, Dept of energy and Dept. of education... The sick and the poor and the elderly could dine out at every meal, with their entire families.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

I got some news for Scary Harry.. the Tea Party spoke last election, "We won", deal with it.

:agree: The "new" conservatives, sent to Washington in November, have already caught the disease. If these legislators capitulate, and refuse to do the job they were sent there to do, then screw'm. Bring their sorry arses home, in disgrace.
America sent a mandate to Washington. If these morons don't understand that, then, in fact, it may be time for stronger medicine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts