Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abortion becomes flashpoint in shutdown battle

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theti...bortion-becomes-flashpoint-in-shutdown-battle

"Democrats say a rider to "defund" Planned Parenthood--a national health care provider that also offers abortion services--is a prominent reason why Democrats and Republicans have failed to reach an agreement on how to fund the government past Friday's midnight deadline...."Now the tea party--among others, but they're the biggest push--is trying to move its extreme social agenda, issues that have nothing to do with funding the government," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Friday on the Senate floor. "They're willing, it appears--clearly, to throw women under the bus even if it means they'll shut down the government. Because that's where we are. That's the one issue that was remaining last night."

I guess based on Reid's comments he would rather throw hard working Americans under the bus, holding up their refund checks than slow planned parenthood down... WOW the truth about liberals comes out!!!

ps - yea I know the abortions are privately funded but I'm taking a cue from the national media and giving a teaser headline.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
but that is just it, planned parenthood refuses to open its books and prove they are not using tax dollars for abortions- which it is appearing they have been.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
but that is just it, planned parenthood refuses to open its books and prove they are not using tax dollars for abortions- which it is appearing they have been.
:thumbsup::agree:

Shut 'em DOWN! :partyon:

Public radio should be NEXT! :devil:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
also, there is a law that is renewed every year that prevents tax dollars from funding abortion. Always gets renewed. Now when it is poised to be permanent the dems balk at it.

All the dems are doing is political pandering. If they cared anything about passing a budget, they would have done it last year while they had all 3 branches.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
also, there is a law that is renewed every year that prevents tax dollars from funding abortion. Always gets renewed. Now when it is poised to be permanent the dems balk at it.

All the dems are doing is political pandering. If they cared anything about passing a budget, they would have done it last year while they had all 3 branches.
If a law banning this practice exists, why shut down the government to create a second, redundant law?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
If a law banning this practice exists, why shut down the government to create a second, redundant law?
Why shut down the government over making a provision indefinite that has been continuously voted in annually for 35 years? Its about time Congress started getting concerned over their efficiency.

·
Banned
108 Posts
A congessional Dem was reprimanded by the 'conservative christian jihadists' for stating the word uterus on the House Floor the other week.

These were the same 'conservative christian jihadists' (Pence and some of the others) who presented graphic abortion procedures at their little 'Abortion is the cause of Deficits and end of America' hearings.

That's all the reason you need.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Why shut down the government over making a provision indefinite that has been continuously voted in annually for 35 years? Its about time Congress started getting concerned over their efficiency.
So make it a seperate vote.

Also, planned parenthood does currently follow the law.

As we face the prospect of a government shutdown, we urge those covering the story to report on the issue accurately. A number of outlets have reported that the standoff on Capitol Hill concerns "abortion funding." This is wholly inaccurate and is nothing more than a political talking point.

Federal law already bars the use of federal funds for abortion services. There is no federal abortion funding to cut.

What's at stake is not "abortion funding." Abortion services are not covered by Medicaid or any other federal program. The Hyde amendment settled that issue more than 30 years ago.

The truth is that the rider regarding Planned Parenthood would bar Planned Parenthood from being paid by Medicaid and other federal programs for providing women with birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and testing and treatment for other STIs.

More than 90 percent of the health care Planned Parenthood provides is preventive.

Every year, Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses provide:
-nearly one million screenings for cervical cancer
-830,000 breast exams
-affordable birth control to nearly 2.5 million patients
-nearly four million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV testing

We ask that you report on the issue accurately. It is not a proposal over funding for abortion but a debate over a proposal to exclude one health care provider — one that provides high-quality health care at extremely low rates — from participating in existing federal programs.

A more accurate way to refer to this is that it is a debate over "Planned Parenthood" or "family planning and preventive health care." It is not a debate over "funding for abortion."

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
OK, my conservative brethren, get your flamethrowers ready.
I make a tax-deductible donation to Planned Parenthood every year. A friend of mine is a fund-raiser for the organization. I think it's time for Planned Parenthood to support itself entirely, just as I think PBS and other such organizations should. And, I think it is political showmanship to call this "Throwing women under the bus". There are lots of things it would be nice for government to do if money were no object. But we don't have the money, so organizations like this should raise their own. As I've stated before, I'm neutral on abortion. Both sides have good arguments. But having a biology background, I find the argument over "When life begins" to be stupid. Life is a continuum. Two living cells unite to form another living cell. It's "potential" does not convince me it is special, and society has too many unwanted children already - most of whom end up being criminals and costing society dearly.

·
Banned
108 Posts
OK, my conservative brethren, get your flamethrowers ready.
I make a tax-deductible donation to Planned Parenthood every year. A friend of mine is a fund-raiser for the organization. I think it's time for Planned Parenthood to support itself entirely, just as I think PBS and other such organizations should. And, I think it is political showmanship to call this "Throwing women under the bus". There are lots of things it would be nice for government to do if money were no object. But we don't have the money, so organizations like this should raise their own. As I've stated before, I'm neutral on abortion. Both sides have good arguments. But having a biology background, I find the argument over "When life begins" to be stupid. Life is a continuum. Two living cells unite to form another living cell. It's "potential" does not convince me it is special, and society has too many unwanted children already - most of whom end up being criminals and costing society dearly.
The gist of the GOP/Tea Party (mainly the Tea Party fanatics) is that 'social moral' ills are the cause of Americas financial ruin.

Curiously, they only 'think it is', as Paul Ryan states every single time he brags about his plan.

Seriously, listen to him, he states 'I think it will work' every single time.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The gist of the GOP/Tea Party (mainly the Tea Party fanatics) is that 'social moral' ills are the cause of Americas financial ruin.

Curiously, they only 'think it is', as Paul Ryan states every single time he brags about his plan.

Seriously, listen to him, he states 'I think it will work' every single time.
Look, I understand people who think abortion is equivalent to murder. I don't feel that way, but it is a very emotional issue. If I thought it was murder, I would be fighting politically to end it too. I think it's silly to minimize any issue simply because it stems from some people's moral compass. Morality has a role in law and government. I think this is simply an issue that will never go away. For me, it is primarily a fiscal issue. We have no money, therefore, we should not be paying for this procedure from public funds. But I won't try to belittle those who see it as a higher issue.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Look, I understand people who think abortion is equivalent to murder. I don't feel that way, but it is a very emotional issue. If I thought it was murder, I would be fighting politically to end it too. I think it's silly to minimize any issue simply because it stems from some people's moral compass. Morality has a role in law and government. I think this is simply an issue that will never go away. For me, it is primarily a fiscal issue. We have no money, therefore, we should not be paying for this procedure from public funds. But I won't try to belittle those who see it as a higher issue.
The GOP/Tea Party 'Path to Prosperity' with regards to Planned Parenthood is forcing a woman to 'incorporate' her reproductive system so to 'enhance' private insurance.
(See Rick Scott calling for mandatory quarterly drug testing for govt. workers to be done through his new companies as an example.)

That sounds awfully communist fascist to me.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The GOP/Tea Party 'Path to Prosperity' with regards to Planned Parenthood is forcing a woman to 'incorporate' her reproductive system so to 'enhance' private insurance.
(See Rick Scott calling for mandatory quarterly drug testing for govt. workers to be done through his new companies as an example.)

That sounds awfully communist fascist to me.
Too many logical twists there. Either we can afford to fund abortions or we can't. If we can't, we aren't forcing women to do anything other than take responsibilty for themselves. I hate hyperbole.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Too many logical twists there. Either we can afford to fund abortions or we can't. If we can't, we aren't forcing women to do anything other than take responsibilty for themselves. I hate hyperbole.
Come on Tex, its easy the Tea Partiers(I can't believe Eddie hasn't used the term Tea Bagger yet:thud:) only want to emptie the Treasury to fund businesses and banksters while the Saintly Democrats want to empty it for the people.

The good news we are out of money so those who want to drain the treasury are almost done:thumbsup:

·
Banned
108 Posts
Hyperbole is all the entire congessional right-wing has.

'Constitutionally' they have that right.

'Constitutionally' they have to pass their Bills through both the House, Senate and signed by the POTUS, despite that Tea Partier Cantor and some of the other fanatics stating it's law simply because he's a junior member of the House because he and some of the other fanatics like Boehner & McConnell can state the same hyperbole over and over, 'The American People.'

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Hyperbole is all the entire congessional right-wing has.

'Constitutionally' they have that right.

'Constitutionally' they have to pass their Bills through both the House, Senate and signed by the POTUS, despite that Tea Partier Cantor and some of the other fanatics stating it's law simply because he's a junior member of the House because he and some of the other fanatics like Boehner & McConnell can state the same hyperbole over and over, 'The American People.'
I'll quote from the article:

...."Now the tea party--among others, but they're the biggest push--is trying to move its extreme social agenda, issues that have nothing to do with funding the government," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Friday on the Senate floor. "They're willing, it appears--clearly, to throw women under the bus even if it means they'll shut down the government."

That's hyperbole, and it's not coming from a Tea Partier. You and Harry Reid seem to think that putting the term Tea Party in front of anything automatically makes your point of view the correct one. Sorry, on this forum you have to make a real logical case to support your position.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am requoting myself from above.

As we face the prospect of a government shutdown, we urge those covering the story to report on the issue accurately. A number of outlets have reported that the standoff on Capitol Hill concerns "abortion funding." This is wholly inaccurate and is nothing more than a political talking point.

Federal law already bars the use of federal funds for abortion services. There is no federal abortion funding to cut.

What's at stake is not "abortion funding." Abortion services are not covered by Medicaid or any other federal program. The Hyde amendment settled that issue more than 30 years ago.

The truth is that the rider regarding Planned Parenthood would bar Planned Parenthood from being paid by Medicaid and other federal programs for providing women with birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and testing and treatment for other STIs.

More than 90 percent of the health care Planned Parenthood provides is preventive.

Every year, Planned Parenthood doctors and nurses provide:
-nearly one million screenings for cervical cancer
-830,000 breast exams
-affordable birth control to nearly 2.5 million patients
-nearly four million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV testing

We ask that you report on the issue accurately. It is not a proposal over funding for abortion but a debate over a proposal to exclude one health care provider — one that provides high-quality health care at extremely low rates — from participating in existing federal programs.

A more accurate way to refer to this is that it is a debate over "Planned Parenthood" or "family planning and preventive health care." It is not a debate over "funding for abortion."
Planned parenthood spends 90% of its money on care for women which does NOT include abortion. Abortion is not being funded by tax dollars. Abortion is not the reason planned parenthood should be defunded. If you feel women should not get free/low cost reproductive healthcare (see above for services) that is one thing, but leave abortion out of it.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
It's all soooooooooo clear to me now.

The Tea Party/Republican plan to keep whites as the majority in America.

Defund abortions so all the white teens have babies....

Throw election and let the dems deal with the surge in welfare claims and lack of funding....

Push religion so poverty people THINK.....they are still happy and middle class.
:laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I am requoting myself from above.

Planned parenthood spends 90% of its money on care for women which does NOT include abortion. Abortion is not being funded by tax dollars. Abortion is not the reason planned parenthood should be defunded. If you feel women should not get free/low cost reproductive healthcare (see above for services) that is one thing, but leave abortion out of it.
It's not whether I feel women should get free/low cost reproductive healthcare or not. It's whether we have the money to pay for it or not. The time has come when the first question should not be "Is this a good thing?". It should be "Where will the money come from?" There is an endless list of "good" things we could do. Unfortunately, libs are willing to attempt all of them without any care for how to pay for them. Whether Consevatives were any better in the past is irrelevant. The fact is, Conservatives are trying to push us into a healthier fiscal situation and are being resisted by libs at every turn.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
It's not whether I feel women should get free/low cost reproductive healthcare or not. It's whether we have the money to pay for it or not. The time has come when the first question should not be "Is this a good thing?". It should be "Where will the money come from?" There is an endless list of "good" things we could do. Unfortunately, libs are willing to attempt all of them without any care for how to pay for them. Whether Consevatives were any better in the past is irrelevant. The fact is, Conservatives are trying to push us into a healthier fiscal situation and are being resisted by libs at every turn.
I agree.

I think every citizen in this country should get a check for $10k from the government every month, and anyone who don't agree hates US Citizens.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts