Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Destroyed my Clutch!!

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  T.M. 
#1 ·
I went to the strip with my vette club for a bracket race. I did about 5 runs lowest 12.9 on run flats. On my 6th run I was about to red line in 3rd so I shifted to 4th at about 100mph the only problem was I missed 4th and hit 2nd DOH!. Please don't say how could I miss 4th I just did.

After that I immediately lost pressure at the clutch pedal, and had to use maximum force to shift in gear. I was able to make it home and to my mechanic . After inspection he showed me the pieces of my clutch laying at the bottom of my bellhousing. :surprised I can't believe I did this. I'm in the processes of getting a Spec Stage II clutch. I hope this expensive lesson will improve my driving skills so this won't happen again.:lookinup:

#4 ·
I don't care whether you're a religious man or not. Go to church (any one) and light a candle. Someone was looking out for you. If that clutch had not blown you would have bent every push rod, maybe every valve stem, as 2nd gear would have sent the engine way over the redline at that speed (max speed in second is 74mph).

Your experience is the main reason I would like to see an electro-hydraulicly actuated clutch and computerized shifting in a production Corvette. The Ferrari F1 system, along with BMW's SMG, will not allow the clutch to be engaged if the rear wheel speed would force the engine over the redline. The PCM simply selects a gear that will not over-rev the engine and engages that before allowing clutch engagement.

The fuel-shutoff rev limiter only limits revs on upshifts. It is completely unable to do anything about accidental incorrect gear selection.

Take solace in the fact that practically everyone who has driven a 6-speed manual with an extended "H" pattern has caught second when they wanted fourth, or fourth when they wanted sixth at some point. The only way to totally avoid the risk is sit in it in the garage and go "vroom vroom".

Do they still make scatter shields for drag racing cars? The thought of all that potential shrapnel flying around my ankles is disconcerting.

Ray

#5 ·
Damn that smarts. But as RT66Z06 said, you probably were lucky, could have done some serious damage to your motor also.

Nice run by the way. :)

#6 ·
my friend did that while racing with me at the track,the next day the LS1 was coming apart and we had to change all of his push-rods,all bent,some really bent,there was a loud ticking after that run,hopefully you don't have this problem also....good luck

#7 · (Edited)
RT66Z06 said:
I don't care whether you're a religious man or not. Go to church (any one) and light a candle. Someone was looking out for you. If that clutch had not blown you would have bent every push rod, maybe every valve stem, as 2nd gear would have sent the engine way over the redline at that speed (max speed in second is 74mph).

Your experience is the main reason I would like to see an electro-hydraulicly actuated clutch and computerized shifting in a production Corvette. The Ferrari F1 system, along with BMW's SMG, will not allow the clutch to be engaged if the rear wheel speed would force the engine over the redline. The PCM simply selects a gear that will not over-rev the engine and engages that before allowing clutch engagement.

The fuel-shutoff rev limiter only limits revs on upshifts. It is completely unable to do anything about accidental incorrect gear selection.

Take solace in the fact that practically everyone who has driven a 6-speed manual with an extended "H" pattern has caught second when they wanted fourth, or fourth when they wanted sixth at some point. The only way to totally avoid the risk is sit in it in the garage and go "vroom vroom".

Do they still make scatter shields for drag racing cars? The thought of all that potential shrapnel flying around my ankles is disconcerting.

Ray
You're right God was looking out for me. Engine still sounds ok. Could it be the Royal Purple I put in a week before? I guess you can say I'm taking a chance putting in a stronger clutch. It's gonna cost me $1150 for a spec stage II with a new fly wheel installed. Dealer charges $1500 for a stock clutch. If I do it again what can I say. Thats Racing!:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Patrick96LT4 said:
Well, you know the adage. "A race car is like a beautiful woman: Don't expect it to stay in it's original condition long".

:rolling:
Run a ChickFax before you get involved. Some have aftermarket augmentation, some are OEM. Some are not candid about mileage, some are. Some have suffered from improper lubrication. Some have not been washed frequently. Always ask if they mind being checked by your physcian. Are the tatoos real, or decals? Is there finish damage from the bra?

See the June 2001 Issue of Consumer Reports.

Ray

#15 ·
I know of a guy who did the same thing except when the clutch blew it took out the bellhousing went through the header pipes on the left side, sent pieces up through the floor board and if it weren't for having his feet pulled back would have maybe cut off a foot or two. That's why you need to have the bell housing wrapped with a blow out blanket. I would consider myself very very lucky.

#17 ·
hawaii-5-lo said:
never thought about it because i have an auto,is the clutch in the rear with the tranny?or is it between the motor and torque tube?
Todd,

See the July 2003 issue of Corvette Magazine page 99 for an article on replacing a C5 clutch (Wow, what a mess!). Your torque converter is in the same location (i.e., behind the engine, ahead of the driveshaft).

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.