Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, seeing in the past couple of weeks I ordered my new Corbeau seats, 5 new Autometer gauges, new Dual Spal fans, a new dash, new rear tires, and most likely some more crap I cant remember... I decided it wouldnt hurt to spend a "little" more $$$ to replace my leaky stock radiator.

So... today I ordered a "direct-fit" aluminum radiator from Dewitts. Its part #A77A which is a direct fit for an automatic, so it has the side tank trans cooler.

I also ordered Dewitts' brackets for the Spals.

I have a question though, I meant to ask Dewitts when I called but forgot.

From what I remember reading, their site said their radiators are Dual Core (which from what Ive read is standard for aluminum radiators.) I believe my stock (heavy duty L82) radiator is 4 core? The Dewitts radiator will still be an increase in cooling even over the heavy duty 4 core though right?

Also, for those that have done the swap is there anything I should know ahead of time or look out for? I think I have everything I need. I got the radiator which comes with new mounting bushings... I got new mount ties for my auxillary B&M trans cooler since Im going to have to move it from my old radiator.... Im going to remove the fittings from the stock side tank cooler so I can reuse them on the new one since I run rubber trans cooler lines starting at the crank pulley. Anything Im missing?

Again, for those that have a swap like this with the dual SPALs how do you like it? Im running a 180* thermostat with a fan temp switch for both fans to come on at 195* if I remember correctly.... Any suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello 80 Vette, Denmark is calling.

My experience with DeWitts Radiator with dual spals, for my 1971 BB is simply perfect.

No reason to blah blah.

I did for my car as follows:

Emptied the whole cooling system, and removed all hoses, and thermostat.

Full pressure on the garden hose, into the engine, started the engine, let it run, smothly, water came out unclear and later clear.

Looking into the old hoses, soft grey white snot.

The new Dewitt radiator installed with new hoses, both up and down including the spring in the bottom.

Went to the Marinestore, and bought Volvo Marine cooling fluid, blended it with water according to description.
(I always buy hoses and other things at the Marine store, since all their normal customer are sailing people who are very particular about their their fire insurence.

I can only say one thing, for me it has been a perfect "Direct fit"

Lykkemark

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I did mine the fans came mounted and I had to move them over a 1/2 inch to the right, from what I have read its common? to have to move them. Nice product, with results, make sure the Spals are pulling not pushing! ie: not spinning backwards! I had mine backwards for a few weeks before i noticed, still cool!!
Your right down the street

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I did mine the fans came mounted and I had to move them over a 1/2 inch to the right, from what I have read its common? to have to move them. Nice product, with results, make sure the Spals are pulling not pushing! ie: not spinning backwards! I had mine backwards for a few weeks before i noticed, still cool!!
Your right down the street
Yah, I got pullers. I got them to replace the taurus fan I put in last spring with the new motor.

I am right down the street! Lol. My car is in Burlington. We should cruise sometime!

Lykkemark thanks for the input, glad you had a great experience! Just out of curiousity why did you use the coolant that you did?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I just took my 1977 on a 1.5 Hr drive to a huge car show weekend only 5 days after the first start up and break in.

My engine is a 405, 400s run hot anyway, and this DeWitt's radiator kept me between 200 and 205 the whole way.

I have dual fans also, but I have a set of Ford Focus fans.

I'm very happy with how cool they keep this engine. I have to admit was worried about keeping this beast cool...but the DeWitt radiator and fan combo are fantastic.

However, I went with the manual transmission radiator so I could use an external cooler. My radiator is strictly engine coolant.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just took my 1977 on a 1.5 Hr drive o a huge car show weekend only 5 days after the first startup and breakdown.

My engine is a 405, 400s run hot anyway, and this DeWitts radiator kept me between 200 and 205 the whole way.

I have dual fans also, but I have a set of Ford Focus fans.

I'm very happy with how cool they keep this engine. I have to admit was worried about keeping this beast cool...but the DeWitt radiator and fan combo are fantastic.

However, I went with the manual transmission radiator so I could use an external cooler. My radiator is strictly engine coolant.
Nice D_B!

My current setup is the stock L82 radiator, taurus fan conversion, 180* thermostat, and 195* switch for the fan. I have never gone over 195-200!

For trans cooling I run the fluid to the stock side tank cooler, then to a large B&M auxillary cooler mounted on front of the radiator, then back to the trans.

My main concern was whether or not it was cool as well as my 4 core where it only has 2....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
My main concern was whether or not it was cool as well as my 4 core where it only has 2....
Aluminum can be extruded with a larger height to width ratio than brass/copper. This allows radiator companies to make aluminum dual core radiators with the same (or greater) flow area as a 4 core, but with less material. This results in a lighter radiator.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aluminum can be extruded with a larger height to width ratio than brass/copper. This allows radiator companies to make aluminum dual core radiators with the same (or greater) flow area as a 4 core, but with less material. This results in a lighter radiator.
Cool info, Thanks! :partyon:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a question though, I meant to ask Dewitts when I called but forgot.

From what I remember reading, their site said their radiators are Dual Core (which from what Ive read is standard for aluminum radiators.) I believe my stock (heavy duty L82) radiator is 4 core? [/COLOR]
Your L82 radiator has 4 rows of 1/2" tubes. Dewitts, as most aluminum radiators use 1" wide tubes, which results in 2" inches of tube width.
Then you add the actual "tube to fin" contact area, which actually does most of the btu exchange and it works out to approx 25% more contact area for the aluminum simply because it does not have the additional spaces between the tubes.
Then you take into account that all the solder in a brass radiator has poor exchange characteristics, makes the aluminum brazed radiator even more efficient.

Roughly, a 2 core alum (with 1" tubes) rad is equivilent to a 5 row core brass rad.
Some more modern GM and aftermarket radiators have 1-1/4" tubes and Mercedes has 1-1/2" tubes.

Very basic expaination, there are other differences depending on design, but you should have roughly 25% more heat rejection with the new rad.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your L82 radiator has 4 rows of 1/2" tubes. Dewitts, as most aluminum radiators use 1" wide tubes, which results in 2" inches of tube width.
Then you add the actual "tube to fin" contact area, which actually does most of the btu exchange and it works out to approx 25% more contact area for the aluminum simply because it does not have the additional spaces between the tubes.
Then you take into account that all the solder in a brass radiator has poor exchange characteristics, makes the aluminum brazed radiator even more efficient.

Roughly, a 2 core alum (with 1" tubes) rad is equivilent to a 5 row core brass rad.
Some more modern GM and aftermarket radiators have 1-1/4" tubes and Mercedes has 1-1/2" tubes.

Very basic expaination, there are other differences depending on design, but you should have roughly 25% more heat rejection with the new rad.
Great explanation! Thank you!:cheers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks!

The spal dula fans I bought from Ecklers came with a L bracket ti instal. Long storty short, I ended up drilling holes through the core. So, now I'm getting a new Be Cool radiator and am looking to buy some correct mounting brackets

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There not the best pictures. If you want something more specific let me know and I can take some By the way, the Dewitt's radiator is a great product, especially coupled with the SPALs! :thumbsup:

And... for what its worth heres a video of the fans in operation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi 80vettel82

That looks really nice, the sound of the spals is like mine, total storm under the hood.
I saw that you earlier asked me what kind of coolant I used, I am sorry that I missed that (my mistake).
I think that there are certain things people are especially particular about, which is different from one person to the other, somethings doesn't seem sensible to one person but makes sense to another.

My "thing" is hoses and fluids (I am in the chemical industry, that is perhaps either an excuse or an explanation.

Close to where I live is a large (very large and therefore expensive) marinecenter, where they can supply everything from a washer, nuts and bolts to everything.

Insurences on boats are very high, and safety measures are too (for the same reason) so therefore I buy items like hoses i.e. gasolinehoses there. I also know that boatowners are hysterical about their engines, therefore I use Volvo coolant.
I am sure it is an overshoot, but where I live in the Nordic boats and old corvettes share one thing, they are only running for 6 months, rest of the time there are in the "stable".

By the way, a boatshop has very nice and soft rubberprofiles which can make your connection between the hood and the body quite airtight so you don't lose cooling effect due to air escape in a place where it should not escape.

That is just my way of doing things.

Best regards and thank you for the pictures.

Lykkemark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks!

Looks like I did what you did, which is simply use the self tamping sheet metal screws they supply. Must be something in the way Be Cool makes their radiator as comparied to DeWitt

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool, thanks for the response! Better late than never haha :partyon:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts