Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it's time for my five year coolant swap. I find that tiny drain plug, and my coolant looks fairly clear just a little pink.

But I notice my resesvoir looks gross. So I take it out of the car and this is what I see.

It's almost completely coated in a beige slime. I've tried rinsing it out and it won't budge. I can reach in and scrape some out with my finger and it kind of feels like wax.

Anyways, it's gross, and definitely doesn't seem like it should be in my car.

Is this normal for Dex Cool to do?

When I swapped to the 160 deg thermostat, I refilled with distilled, so I am little less than 50/50, but I wouldn't think that would cause this slime to form.

I bought some radiator cleaner that you actually run in the engine for 3-6 hours that is supposed to be more hardcore than the normal flush. I highly doubt it will clean out this slime though, and I am assuming my engine is covered in it.

I've done some searched and read about floaties from Dex-Cool and some people hate it, while some people say they have no issues with it, but this seems a little more sever than "floaties".

·
Registered
904 Posts
Could someone have mixed green antifreeze with the Dexcool ? I've heard doing so will cause a gell to form.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, no one has touched the car but me since new.

It was about four years ago that I and another C6 owner changed our t-stats. Pretty sure we just filled it back up with distilled.

Here is a picture of my drained coolant. Looks perfectly normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts