Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 45 minutes ago, i finished pulling the engine out of my vette....i'm not an expert on engines or anything, i know the basics. but anywho....the haynes manual said to hold the torque converter to the tranny with a pair of vice grips. that doesn't do any good because the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel. and the fly wheel's connected to the engine block. so either you have to unbolt it and then clamp it, or it comes out along with the engine. well, seeing as how there wasn't a whole lotta room to get a wrench in there, let alone 2 of em (one for either side of the nut and bolt) i figured i'd just take it on out.

well....as soon as it came loose it starts oozing out what looks like oil, but is a thinner. so i continue to pull it out all the way, get it over the fenders and put a drain pan underneath it. i lost a good quart or so of this fluid. and anyway. basicly i'm wondering what this fluid is. and how much of it goes in my torque coverter.
and if i hurt it by loosing the fluid.
any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Transmission fluid is what you lost and by the judge of your description it needed changing anyway. When you get everything back together just make sure you put the recommended amout of fluid back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eh....it' is red, i'm colorblind tho so that's how come i couldn't tell what fluid it was, plus it was underneath the car, and it's really dark underthere and hard to see. i asked my dad about it. i don't think it's that dirty tho, it was actually pretty clean. the reason i said oozing was because it didn't pour just....trickled out.

but eitherway, thanks for the help. i was worried i busted a seal or something.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,524 Posts
Just remember to put the TC into the tranny before you mate the engine up. It's not hard to get 2 wrenches in there, it just takes a little time. Do one bolt, rotate the engine with a crank turning tool (or a long screwdriver or pry bat) and do the other 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts