Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i change the oil in my 94 vette every 500 miles (daily driver for now), i normally change the oil my self since i dont trust just any one to work on my baby, today on my way home from work i decided to stop by a local Mobil station and and have them change the oil for me cuz i was just to tired to do it my self, the price for that oil change was $73.00 wich also included topping off all fluids.

I dont have a problom paying the money but was wondering if i my have been over charged..:nuts:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You sure were, but no use crying over spilled milk now! I'd take it to a Chevy dealer for that price. Are you using sythetic oil? If not, buy Amsoil or Mobile 1 and don't worry about changing the oil so often, you can easily go 10k miles with synthetic even with everyday use. :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Rail said:
Well i change the oil in my 94 vette every 500 miles (daily driver for now), i normally change the oil my self since i dont trust just any one to work on my baby, today on my way home from work i decided to stop by a local Mobil station and and have them change the oil for me cuz i was just to tired to do it my self, the price for that oil change was $73.00 wich also included topping off all fluids.

I dont have a problom paying the money but was wondering if i my have been over charged..:nuts:
Was the guy wearing a mask and did he one gun or two.I get mine done at jiffy lube 29.95 and they top off the fluids.I think they saw you coming.:surprised :surprised

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
StillCrazy said:
Was the guy wearing a mask and did he one gun or two.I get mine done at jiffy lube 29.95 and they top off the fluids.I think they saw you coming.:surprised :surprised
Mobile 1 at Jiffy Lube for $29.95?:WTF

·
Registered
363 Posts
local lube places here charge about 55 for mobil 1 oil change with a mobil 1 filter....also top off all fluids, check tire pressure, clean windows and vacuum out the interior

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If all you guys that are using regular oil would switch to synthetic, your cars would run faster and last longer!

Regular oil should be tossed and synthetic in for a Corvette if you want top performance!

EFE Z06

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did put M-1 sintec, i could have gone to any other service station but i wanted to make sure that they use only what is recomended M-1 and not there brand of sinthetic oil.

I would never take my car to a jiffy lube or any other of those fast oil changing places...Herd many horror storys about those places....:drink:

My only regret about the 73 bucks is that i could have gotten a tank and a half of feul...:bang

I change my oil every 500 miles and some may think im crazy, but i love keeping things running well,,,It's just the way i am...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Rail said:
They did put M-1 sintec, i could have gone to any other service station but i wanted to make sure that they use only what is recomended M-1 and not there brand of sinthetic oil.

I would never take my car to a jiffy lube or any other of those fast oil changing places...Herd many horror storys about those places....:drink:

My only regret about the 73 bucks is that i could have gotten a tank and a half of feul...:bang

I change my oil every 500 miles and some may think im crazy, but i love keeping things running well,,,It's just the way i am...
Rail,
It's ok to be over cautious but every 500 miles is really a waste except and perhaps when first breaking in a new engine, that's when the engine wears the most. After a few thousand miles it just doesn't help to change the oil that much, especially if using synthetic, but hey it's your money and you can waste it anyway you choose. The service stations must love seeing you?? :laughing:

EFE Z06

·
Registered
635 Posts
I do all my own work on my Vette and my trucks and they all get Royal Purple 5/20. Flows easy, plus you do it yourself you know its right. My brother had a problem with J-lube darining the oil changing the filter and not putting oil in the truck! He caught the mistake prior to driving off. Could have been a big problem. So I say if you can do it...do it...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
D&JsZ06 said:
I do all my own work on my Vette and my trucks and they all get Royal Purple 5/20. Flows easy, plus you do it yourself you know its right. My brother had a problem with J-lube darining the oil changing the filter and not putting oil in the truck! He caught the mistake prior to driving off. Could have been a big problem. So I say if you can do it...do it...

DJ,i agree with you but the j/lube place i go to, their great,they know me and my cars i really don't have a place to do it myself plus getting rid of the used oil is a problem.Service stations around here are suppose to take the used iol,but most of them bi-h about taking it or they make you jump threw hoops.:whip: :whip: :whip:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It might be less expensive to buy your own Mobil 1 at $5.50 to $6/quart and take it to Jiffy Lube. They will take a little off there regular price. Last time it cost $18 on a mid-week discount using my own oil and PF46 filter, about $58 total. Also, wait to replace oil until the Oil monitor is maybe 40%-35%.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
This might be hard to believe but it's true!

I need to take my new Z06 in to the dealer to fix the 2nd gear vibration, they will be changing the shifter to a new design that supposedly fixes the problem.
Today I called the service manager and asked how much will they charge me to change my oil at the same time I bring the car in to fix the vibration, I told him I'll supply my own oil (Amsoil).

His quote was "$16 + tax and we supply the filter!" I said are you sure, this is a LS7 and it takes a special procedure? He said yes I know!

Wow!!!!!! A Z06 oil change at a Chevrolet dealer for $16 + tax, I supply the oil and they supply the filter, unbelievable! No way would I ever take my Z06 to a Jiffy Lube or any other fast lube store when you can have an authorized Chevy dealer do it for $16, $20 or even $30!

I know sometimes some of those quick change oil places can have a good employee, but most of them hire young guys that work for less than $6 a hour and they aren't trained for Corvettes and I've never seen them use a torque wrench which GM recommends. Use the Chevy dealer for oil changes, it's much safer and shouldn't cost much more if any difference at all! JMHO :thumbsup:

EFE Z06

1 - 20 of 29 Posts