Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not meaning to disrespect any religion or anyones beliefs here.. Just wanted to share a thought and I wanted to know what you guys think. I've been looking at religion (organized religion) for many years now and since I work in a very diverse company, I have presented this discussion many times to different folks of all faiths. My thought process is this. There has to be a God, that I do believe in. He/it designed everything and I'd like to think, sits back and watches us on his telly..:laughing:

However God, whoever or whatever he is perceived to be has given us free will. Hence he doesnt make anything happen in this world, we do. Checks and balances exist in nature and it is a force that we have no control over. The rest of the problems we have are all man made. We kill each other in defence of a god we have not seen. We all assume 'God' listens to us individually and that he is on our side. So why do we pray? Who/what do we pray to and what is it that we really expect 'God' to do with our prayers, if we are in control of our own choices.

Looking back historically at the way religions were written by man for other man and rituals were created by man to control other men, and politics were born with the ruling elite to use religion to subjugate the masses, is it illogical to believe that religion does not exist ?

So did man create God?

Like I said before, I am not attacking any particular religion, just want a good open discussion without folks getting defensive.. :)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I'll be the first chump.:D There are two possibilities: There is a God or there is not. If there is, he created us - otherwise he would not be God. If there is not, we certainly didn't create him. We might have created the idea of him, but it's not in our power to create a real God. How's that for meaningless drivel?

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'll be the first chump.:D There are two possibilities: There is a God or there is not. If there is, he created us - otherwise he would not be God. If there is not, we certainly didn't create him. We might have created the idea of him, but it's not in our power to create a real God. How's that for meaningless drivel?
I like it, that might be the best thing that will be written in this thread.:laughing:

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I am happy to get through life without being troubled by these kinds of questions. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Anyone else notice the Scientology ad banner at the bottom of the screen because the "god" keyword is in this thread? :laughing:

·
Sir Dude
17,444 Posts
I am not troubled by this question, or any of the responses made to it.

In every one own mind there answer is the correct answer.

To put every thing in prospective, if there is a GOD, then 99% of the religions are man made. And that one religion that is the correct one is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

I do believe that there is an entity some where who's intelligent compared to ours, makes use look as dumb as a rock. And at this point in our growth is beyond our capability to understand it.

So is there a GOD?

There is an entity, of greater inteligents than we have, and it is incomprehensible to most people in this world. So to explain it people created religion. That religion gave the entity the name "GOD".

So to answer the question no man did not create GOD we only named it.

As for the religions, They have grown to only control people and there money.

Had your god wanted you to have a free will is would not have placed a religion here to tell you what to do and not do.

I find great conflict between GOD giving man a free will and then making rules to follow that forces man to do his will???

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I like it, that might be the best thing that will be written in this thread.:laughing:
If you need any more meaningless drivel, let me know. I excell at meaningless.:cheers:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I believe god(s) is a tool created by man as a way to understand and deal with the complex dangerous world around us. I do not mean to degrade people who follow religion nor put myself on a pedestal. Everyone has something they use to get through the difficult times. Everyone feels a need to understand why things happen around them. For some people that is religion, others its science, or alcohol.

My distaste for organized religion comes from its use to harm people rather than help.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,477 Posts
An often quoted statement "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

·
Registered
16,252 Posts
An often quoted statement "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Alright, trying to confuse me more than I already am?? :huh::laughing::laughing:

I am hoping that my God forgives all of my sins. :D

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
what?? no Chas, VF or Exotix?? Someone PM me when they get on and start fighting-- I want to know if Bush Or Obama is God...:laughing:

That should answer everything.. whether we created him or he created us and is to blame..

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I'm still looking for DNA evidence that God came berfore the chicken:lookinup:....You don't have to call him Ray or call him Jay.....But some caveman must have named him God :D

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
My distaste for organized religion comes from its use to harm people rather than help.
I always wonder what experiences lead someone to this conclusion. I have been involved more or less in "organized religion" for 60 years. All I have ever witnessed is caring, giving, community service oriented people. I have never witnessed politically driven or anger driven religion. I have read about those things, but they are the minority. I just think organized religion gets a bum rap because of the news. They don't cover the thousands of churches that fix up houses of senior citizens or sponsor kids sports. They only cover the hateful few, and they are a small percentage.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts