Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i change my 84 rear (z51) spring out for this extra 87 (z52) rear spring

WOULD I EVEN NOTICE THE DIFFRENCE ?

has anybody ever switched REAR springs?

(87) spring code--NYR

(84) spring code--BMH

-----if one spring has a rate of 39 and the other at 89----
Would i notice the difference right away?

:D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
WOULD I EVEN NOTICE THE DIFFRENCE ?
Sure as hell.
Softer ride but would prob need to do the fronts as well to balance car out

84 Z51 is the stiffest spring ever installed in a C4 ;
the base springs from '84 were the Z51 springs in later years

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure as hell.
Softer ride but would prob need to do the fronts as well to balance car out

84 Z51 is the stiffest spring ever installed in a C4 ;
the base springs from '84 were the Z51 springs in later years
thanks

im gonna swap em

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so.........now i wondering/

what if i put the SOFT SPRING in the rear (for awhile)

and leave the z51 spring in the front!

does anybody have any ideas on what the ride will be like?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Have that going on right now. 84 Z51 up front base 86 in the rear and it did help out the ride a bit. I have some stiff shocks though so softer shocks with the 57.7 rear spring would work great.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
and it did help out the ride a bit.
But what has it done to the handling when the car is driven as it is supposed to?
Spring sets are matched ; dramatically change one end without the other and you have changed the dynamics of the car

·
Registered
872 Posts
It does affect the handling dynamic a bit but in a positive way. 84 Z51 rear spring was way too stiff making the rear scoot around when hitting mid corner bumps too harsh etc. Dropping the rear rate made it way more driveable and oddly enough it sticks better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does affect the handling dynamic a bit but in a positive way. 84 Z51 rear spring was way too stiff making the rear scoot around when hitting mid corner bumps too harsh etc. Dropping the rear rate made it way more driveable and oddly enough it sticks better.

I think your right.....im gonna give it a try:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a similiar swap on my 84 Z51. I went with a NYR in rear, and an 86 base spring up front and the difference was significant. The ride quality is improved and it stays planted as opposed to hopping all over the place while on rough pavement. There were a number of codes for the front springs in 86 and 87 due to the convertible option and multiple suspension options. If you'd like I will take a look at those options when I have a minute later today. I started with AC Delco base gas shocks with this set up but am ready to upgrade to a better quality shock now. One item I should thought of was to measure the ride height on both sides of the car prior to the swap. I seem to be riding a bit higher on the passenger side measured at the center of the wheel well to the ground. The right side is almost a full half inch higher than the left and I'm not sure why. Any chance you would be able to measure yours for me prior to the swap? This a definitely a move worth doing for an 84.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are able to get a measurement that would be great. In the meantime if you are interested, the springs you should be looking for the front are 86/87 codes HMN which was the softest, grand touring spring for convertibles, and HMR which was the base spring for coupes. Either is a good combo with the NYR.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you are able to get a measurement that would be great. In the meantime if you are interested, the springs you should be looking for the front are 86/87 codes HMN which was the softest, grand touring spring for convertibles, and HMR which was the base spring for coupes. Either is a good combo with the NYR.

yep, i'll keep those codes in mind.......

So if the measurements take more than a week----dont think i forgot about you. This snow on the east coast is crazy...as You know

at the moment - I NEED-

-Stall convertor
-12 trans fluilds
-compression fittings (trans lines)
-pan gasket and filter
-t.v grommet

SO as soon as the car hits the ground / youll know the measurements before my neighbor hears the sound of my exhaust.:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts