Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need to install a new valve cover seal tomorrow and the instructions say to use black RTV sealant. I have some clear silicone sealant around the house to use. Will this sealant work for me? Also is there a difference between red and black RTV sealant? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
Not stupid at all. Regular silicone like you would caulk windows won't work. Use black instead of red or blue, it looks better. And use RTV or high temp RTV. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Not stupid at all. Regular silicone like you would caulk windows won't work. Use black instead of red or blue, it looks better. And use RTV or high temp RTV. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization.

I have used RTV from window caulk applications many times on engines, transmissions///anything automotive, it works fine....looks odd, being white/clear/almond whatever, but for say a tranny pan....who cares??

I do use black on the engine though, just for appearance....black from say roofing caulk outta the gun....I use GE RTV/Silicone Seal for remodeling work a lot, so I have tons of it around....

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have used RTV from window caulk applications many times on engines, transmissions///anything automotive, it works fine....looks odd, being white/clear/almond whatever, but for say a tranny pan....who cares??

I do use black on the engine though, just for appearance....black from say roofing caulk outta the gun....I use GE RTV/Silicone Seal for remodeling work a lot, so I have tons of it around....
:agree:

Have used Ge clear bathtub sealant for years before it was even marketed by Permatex for cars. In the late 60s', Caterpillar was the first I am aware of, to use an orange silicone at the factory for engines etc. Most people use way too much.

If you use any type of O2 sensor, even for a wide band meter, use the recommended stuff and wait for the proper cure time, as they are susceptible to minute amounts of siicone. The outgas from the curing process ruins the sensors.
:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts