Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a similar thread on here but I wanted to start another to specifically talk about the head castings to determine if there really is any difference. Currently, it has come to the attention of a number of '07 vette owners that there are two different head castings for the C6 built on or around Oct 2006. The two castings have been identified as a 799 cast and a 243 cast. Most owners have a matching pair of either type but a few like myself have one of each. There is a lot of speculation on the 'net as to why there are two different types and I am hoping that this thread will avoid any of that. Does anyone have some inside info or experience working on both types of castings? If so, can you please shed some light on to why they are just now showing up and what the differences are. Is one better than the other and is having one of each a problem?

Also, Those who do have either type of casting can you check to see what the part number is for each. The part number is supposedly listed at the end of the head (as I have read on another forum). You may need a mirror in order to read it (which I do not have). Also, the machining info is listed on top of the head (you have to remove the valve cover to get to it) if, for some reason you are accessing the head, can you please post what numbers you have for the given head. Hopefully an answer can be given for those of us who are seriously scratching our heads (get it?? ha ha).

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a similar thread on here but I wanted to start another to specifically talk about the head castings to determine if there really is any difference. Currently, it has come to the attention of a number of '07 vette owners that there are two different head castings for the C6 built on or around Oct 2006. The two castings have been identified as a 799 cast and a 243 cast. Most owners have a matching pair of either type but a few like myself have one of each. There is a lot of speculation on the 'net as to why there are two different types and I am hoping that this thread will avoid any of that. Does anyone have some inside info or experience working on both types of castings? If so, can you please shed some light on to why they are just now showing up and what the differences are. Is one better than the other and is having one of each a problem?

Also, Those who do have either type of casting can you check to see what the part number is for each. The part number is supposedly listed at the end of the head (as I have read on another forum). You may need a mirror in order to read it (which I do not have). Also, the machining info is listed on top of the head (you have to remove the valve cover to get to it) if, for some reason you are accessing the head, can you please post what numbers you have for the given head. Hopefully an answer can be given for those of us who are seriously scratching our heads (get it?? ha ha).

I have the 799 casting on both heads. The number can be found behind the alternator on the driver side and next to the firewall on the passenger side. I didn't need a mirror to see either number. Can't help you with the other requests but it will be intersting to see what is discovered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts