Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my steering wheel, column sqeaks when turning. usually when using lots of wheel movement like parking. has anyone had this on their c5's? how do i fix it, it's quite annoying.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Is it the wheel or could it be under the wheel where there is a big chunk of styrofoam. That styrofoam somtimes squeaks on mine

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
I had this problem on my '00 coupe, Very annoying. I temporarily solved the problem by getting an '04 Z :laughing:

Seriously, if you can get to the styrofoan or plastic that is causing the problem, a little beeswax rubbed on it should keep it from squeaking

·
Registered
62 Posts
my steering wheel, column sqeaks when turning. usually when using lots of wheel movement like parking. has anyone had this on their c5's? how do i fix it, it's quite annoying.
Finally, someone else that has this issue! Yes, I've had it for a long time, drives me batty and it's embarassing if someone else is in the car. It's intermittent and only can be heard while turning sharply in a parking lot or something at low speed.

Really wish there were better information about fixing the problem, especially from someone who had done it before. Dealer kind of shrugged when I tried to explain the problem and didn't sound too confident about being able to fix it. Very frustrating that you can't get a problem fixed even when you're willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've also had this problem, which has lead me to this thread via search. I guess my question is: will it harm anything if left "untreated?" The reason I ask is because I originally thought it was some wiring rubbing and I don't want to deal with the ramifications of that.

s'noJob

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've also had this problem, which has lead me to this thread via search. I guess my question is: will it harm anything if left "untreated?" The reason I ask is because I originally thought it was some wiring rubbing and I don't want to deal with the ramifications of that.

s'noJob
I'm not positive that we're all suffering from the same problem, but the way mine sounds I'm sure it's not harming anything, and I've had it for years without any apparent issue. It just squeaks sometimes when turning very slowly/sharply, and sounds like something needs to be oiled, definitely not a grinding or rubbing noise though that would lead me to believe something was being harmed from friction.

I think ambient temperature or internal temperature within the column area is what causes it to squeak, but it's so intermittent that I haven't been able to completely track it. I don't think it ever does it when I've first started my car cold though, I think it only happens once the car is warmed up to a certain point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts