Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a cast iron differential housing that I want to put a magnetic drain plug in. I found 3/8" NPT, but I really don't want to go that large. Anyone have a source for these? I checked Jegs, Summit, McMaster and CV Products so far.

Gary, help!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
3/8 worked for me. :thumbsup:

Bottom side of the housing.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
1/4 npt is fine, I use a magnetic tip socket head. I bush 3/8 x 1/4 in aluminum & use a 1/4 plug, but iron use the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/4 npt is fine, I use a magnetic tip socket head. I bush 3/8 x 1/4 in aluminum & use a 1/4 plug, but iron use the 1/4.
Gary,

That's what I want, 1/4" NPt. Where are you getting them? I forgot to mention that I went to well-known-chain hardware and auto parts stores too.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3/8 worked for me. :thumbsup:

Bottom side of the housing.
I'm going to have 600 ft-lbs from the engine and I just don't want to make a bigger hole than I have to. Maybe I'm being too conservative.

I am waiting for a call back from a Harley-Davidson place right now, where the parts guy is digging for a 1/4" one now. I was also thinking about lawn mower shops as a place to try.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I buy them from my industrial supplier, I think they're $6 if you want one let me know.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buy them from my industrial supplier, I think they're $6 if you want one let me know.
Thanks, Gary. I'm going to hit the Harley place tomorrow morning. If I can't find one locally, I'll shot you a PM.

I would have thought McMaster-Carr would have had them.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Gary post a link or something for the 1/4" plug. I'm going to be doing this this winter as well and will be needing the same plug.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I don't have a link, just the plugs. They're 1/4 NPT with a magnet on the end. Work pretty good. I have a bunch of them if you need them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
so are you saying on an aluminum carrier you use a heilicoil am I correct & do you have a picture of the placement :huh:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
No, first I won't work on the 80-82 diffs. If I tap a drain in aluminum, like a trans case, then I'll bush it. This allows the bushing to stay in the case and use the plug to drain and not load the aluminum threads in the process.

·
Registered
842 Posts
what kind of bushing do you suggest & I understand you dont work on the aluminum rear ends I have spoken with you just asking advice from someone smarter than me because you dont work on aluminum rear ends:laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Depending on what I'm working on I use either a 1/4 x 1/8 or 3/8 x 1/4 SS or brass bushing.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Found a place called "GoldPlug" that has them by doing a quick Google search. $7.99 each.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a place called "GoldPlug" that has them by doing a quick Google search. $7.99 each.
RTG,

Just saw your post now. 10 minutes ago, I found a website under the deceptively sneaky name of "magneticdrainplug.com". LOL.

I placed an order for 2 "Gold Plug" 1/4" NPT external hex magnetic drain plugs (IP-02X) for $7.99 each. I'm sure these are the same ones you found. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
RTG,

Just saw your post now. 10 minutes ago, I found a website under the deceptively sneaky name of "magneticdrainplug.com". LOL.

I placed an order for 2 "Gold Plug" 1/4" NPT external hex magnetic drain plugs (IP-02X) for $7.99 each. I'm sure these are the same ones you found. Thanks for the input.
LMAO! You know, they could have been even more stealthy with a name like "we-dont-sell-drain-plugs.com."

:smack

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LMAO! You know, they could have been even more stealthy with a name like "we-dont-sell-drain-plugs.com."

:smack
I guess instead of looking for the plugs at a place I thought would have them, I should have searched earlier for the plugs themselves.

Regards,

Junior Internet Cadet

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I guess instead of looking for the plugs at a place I thought would have them, I should have searched earlier for the plugs themselves.

Regards,

Junior Internet Cadet
Nah, that's why there's a team of net geeks on staff at DC to help us out. Most of us would rather be wrenching on the car instead of typing.
:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts