Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed differential fluid leaking around what looks like the bolt where you would fill it. Is there a seal that deteriorates or should I just try tightening the bolt. Didn't want to strip any threads so I thought I'd ask. Sorry if this is too elementary, but I'm trying to learn how to get dirty with my car and stop relying on paying someone to fix everything. Kids are just killing my bank account. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I beleive it has a seal. I know it has a torque spec. Will see what it is the next time I go to the shop. Also an O ring should stop the leak if you can not find the seal. I got a box of all sizes of O rings from Jegs two years ago for xmass. Handiest things to have around...:thumbsup:

I will have to remove my filler plug and look at it...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks so much iburke. If I undo that bolt should I prepare for fluid everywhere? This will be uncharted waters for me.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
No the differential should be filled to the bottom of the hole. You are talking about the plug about half way up on the rear right side of the diff?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
That is a 3/4 npt plug. No gasket or O ring used. On the early c2's they used an o-ring. All you need to do is either snug it up or remove it,clean,wire brush it and use some high temp thread sealant on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts