Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me understand if my c-clips are still working in my differential.

"****Sorry Guys-Wrong Video as this is of the twisting play from input to side yokes****
Here is a video of me moving out the side yoke on the drivers side...

But anyway....most importantly, if my side yokes are moving a solid 1/8" in/out of the differential is this normal meaning that the C-clips are working? If the c-clips are broken will the side yokes come all the way out of the differential.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The job of the clips is to retain the shafts and nothing more.

The problem you have is that the shafts are worn excessively on the ends. There are only two solutions that I know of . . .

- replace with a new shaft

- build up the end of the shaft with hard facing rod and grind back to original length

Unless you are a machinist with some welding skills, the first option is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....that is what I wanted to hear that if the c-clip broke the yoke would come out. I guess all is good with that regards.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great....got any other good news???? Just joking. I think all is good for now (I hope). I was asking because of my earlier problems with the dragvette kit alignment and now today I snapped something in the drivers side rear spindle as I was tightening everything back down with old fixed length half shafts (currently use slip shafts) and forgot to disconnect the upper control rod on the dragvette. I thought that I might of damaged something in the diff also but it appears to be only in the spindle assembly as I can hear grinding/scrapping now in the spindle but the diff sounds okay as I spun it in 1st gear with half shafts disconnected and all was quiet. I did fine on the passenger side...but totally forgot about disconnecting the drivers side when tightening it all together and now I snapped something in the spindle which I a hoping is just the bearings messed up. So on the tow truck again we go some time this week or next to get the spindle checked out.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
that's a pretty lousy vid.

we can't give you advice based on that.

people who sell **** and do repair work will always tell you that you need all new sheit.

i say run it until it grenades. Hasn't killed me yet.

The truth is somewhere in between.

·
Registered
959 Posts
great....got any other good news???? Just joking. . I thought that I might of damaged something in the diff also but it appears to be only in the spindle assembly as I can hear grinding/scrapping now in the spindle QUOTE]

yea...grinding & scraping always a good sound to hear.....
redvetracr

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ugghh!!! you guys are terrible to me!!! Thats okay...I am finally tired and have enough rum/cokes in me to kill the pain. At least until Monday morning when I go through my laundry list of items trying to figure out the logistics replacing/fixing things to minimize down time.

Yes...for the first time in my 2 years of ownership of my vette (Sept 10th is my 2 year anniversary) I am a little pissed right now with trouble I have been having. A little is owner induced, but most is aftermarket problems.

·
Registered
959 Posts
ugghh!!! you guys are terrible to me!!! Thats okay...I am finally tired and have enough rum/cokes in me to kill the pain. At least until Monday morning when I go through my laundry list of items trying to figure out the logistics replacing/fixing things to minimize down time.

Yes...for the first time in my 2 years of ownership of my vette (Sept 10th is my 2 year anniversary) I am a little pissed right now with trouble I have been having. A little is owner induced, but most is aftermarket problems.
OK then...grinding and scraping is normal.......

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
NOW, you are a REAL VETTE owner. If you have not felt like BURNING IT TO THE GROUND, your just a rookie. Welcome to the club.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hard to believe it would be a bearing or spindle problem when bolting things together.
I'd put my money on something like a bent over dust shield that is rubbing.
The halfshaft flange on the inside of the spindle has a dust shield that sounds
like a suspect. Brake shield is too obvious to not be obvious.

Good Luck :buhbye:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish it was that simply....something snapped as I could feel it in the driveline when I went to pull out of my parking space. I got 3/4ths of the way out and then could feel a slight jolt in the driveline. Ugghh!!! I can't believe either that tightening it down would have snapped something this critical but it did. I like the socket wrench...but I am not a maniac!!! This is the spindle/hub that I had replaced back in August when I blew the thing to pieces. I am betting that the local shop did not put it together correctly and so a little bit of pressure some how snapped something. It would have been a pulling action too as I had the rods adjusted too long so it would have been pulling on the spindle inwards.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just spoke with Mike (tracdogg2) and I am shipping the trailing arm assemblies to him to have them dialed in correctly, etc. I need the passenger side spindle replaced with a forged unit, swap out the squeaky poly bushings, and longer thicker 1/2" studs so might as well get it all done correctly while I got everything apart (hopefully for the last time). The new 18" wheels don't allow the lug nuts to screw as securely as I would like onto the stud.

After all this stuff.....I will by definition of insanity have probably the most over built for safety & strength vette with the least HP (only 205rwhp). One day soon I will have the monies saved up for my dream stroked 427 LS2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts