Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have heard of all the Axel companies...Eaton/Dana/ and some others I forget....

so have heard of Ford 9" units....Chrysler 8.25 and 9.25 open and Posi....

Dana 44, 60, etc....

then we get into the Eaton clutch...vs Auburn style I have seen in Dodge/chrysler in my 9.25 diffy in the truck now...but came from a buddy's tow car with a 440 engine and 321 posi axel now under my truck....

NEVER have personally witnessed a cone/Auburn type diffy in a GM vechicle....

so who is what?? and who supplies whom, and I have to guess since Ford diffys are built unlike most others I seen out there....the 9" anyway....they do their own???

and so just who made the old type GM B Body diffy's of really olde tymes that appeared up till '64 with the pumpkin style assy, and not an inspection cover.....only you olde pharts can answer that one.....I know they used to put them in fuel dragsters back in Garlitz daze....~40 years ago....

I have to suppose all the imports make their own...and since posi is allmost unheard of from them....it's of allmost no interest here....

:huh: :WTF :cheers:

·
Registered
230 Posts
The original posi unit for the P case 58-64 GM and 63-64 vettes was a Dana. Very weak. 65-79 used the Eaton. 80-96 vettes use a Dana. The rest of the GM cars and light trucks stuck with the eaton and modified versons of it.
Chrysler used a cone-type posi. No clutches, just metal on metal which is why they are not rebuildable. Auburn is a variation of the cone type.
Subaru WRX uses a type of posi in the transfer case. The lube changes viscosity when voltage is applied.
Mike

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:WTF Please tell me more. I gotta hear this one.:huh:
I thought the xfer case could only lock the front and rear axels together but not side to side....so you have one wheel in front...due to open diffy, and another in the rear due to open diffy....

saw a p/u going crazy on a boat ramp once long ago....both ends spinning on the slick concrete, but no traction....

I had posi in the goat, so just walked it right up the ramp next to him....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I had posi in the goat, so just walked it right up the ramp next to him....
Most goats I've seen don't have 4 wheel drive. 4 HOOF drive.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You guys are terrible!:rolling: :rolling:

B2B,
I don't know how it works. A good friend of mine works for Subaru. They warranty these as complete units. He decided to tear one apart to see if it could be rebuilt. It can be but you can't buy the lube anywhere, even from Subaru.
I don't know about import posi. Never seen one.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts