Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok; I am a newbie with the Vettes. I have an education in digital/analog electronics and But I have not been able to figure this one out.

Let me start by saying I have read most of the post re: the digital clusters. I have also read Batee.com. I have tried most of these suggestions.

I have an 87 C4 where the dash is dim during the day and the turn indicators stay on. The back light bulbs do not come on at all during the day. The fan and AC/Heat/Vent will not come on during the day either. The HVAC indicator works and shows the changes in Fan speed and temp but does not switch the system on.

After dark the backlights and the HVAC/Fan will come out to play. And the turn indicator go out.:WTF

I have soldiered the inter-board connectors. and checked all of my Grounds.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
After dark the backlights and the HVAC/Fan will come out to play. And the turn indicator go out.
At this time ,the only difference being that the headlights are on or everything works with just the ign on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlights have no effect. They work fine. Symptoms occur with HL on or off when ignition switch is on. I forgot to mention that I did change the HL switch with no results either. When HL on dimmer works as well.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
commonality is grounds and backlight power.
by your post I assume electronic AC.

Does the rest of your interior lighting work as it should?
Check the power into your cluster. If you pull the interior fuses that light up the cluster does the cluster/HVAC have power going to them?

when do you get power-- always/switch to accy or only when running?

If you put your finger over the dimmer on the dash do things work during the day?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
commonality is grounds and backlight power.
by your post I assume electronic AC.

Does the rest of your interior lighting work as it should?
Check the power into your cluster. If you pull the interior fuses that light up the cluster does the cluster/HVAC have power going to them?

when do you get power-- always/switch to accy or only when running?

If you put your finger over the dimmer on the dash do things work during the day?
1. Yes electronic AC
2. Yes; all interior lighting works as should.
3. I do not understand, If I pull the interior fuses..
4. I get power to backlights and AC only with key on in both add. and running.
5.Putting finger over photocell has no effect.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
1. Yes electronic AC
2. Yes; all interior lighting works as should.
3. I do not understand, If I pull the interior fuses..
4. I get power to backlights and AC only with key on in both add. and running.
5.Putting finger over photocell has no effect.
Don't have the vette in front of me-- but for the fuses .. The fuse that runs the interior door lights also runs some of the dash lighting and radio settings. Wanting to know if you have bleed from another source or if we are looking at the primary circuit.

You mentioned when HL are on the dimmer works. do you mean the dash dims using the dimmer on the HL knob?
Headlights on and finger over photocell for atleast a minute in daylight-- does this make it work?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sounds crazy but check all your bulbs to make sure they are the correct ones. I have seen many cars go weird with incorrect bulbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts