Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between these wheels? Looking for something in 17" for my C5 for track events.

pro's/con's aftermarket. Anything you can tell me about the wheels would be appreciated.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Chalky said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between these wheels? Looking for something in 17" for my C5 for track events.

pro's/con's aftermarket. Anything you can tell me about the wheels would be appreciated.
the True GM wheel differences are:

Color (obviously)

and the rear back space.

Front on GS and ZR1 56mm

GS Rear 50mm

ZR1 rear 36mm

ZR1 will stick out farther on an narrow body C4

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would these GS wheels work on a C5?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of the Corvette mags had an article several months ago about wheels and tires for the C5. The GS wheels were one of the setups they tried and I think they really liked them especially for autocross. It was either Corvette Fever or Vette, I can't remember which.

Just call me Al
96 CE
72 Vert

·
Registered
0 Posts
Pogo72 said:
One of the Corvette mags had an article several months ago about wheels and tires for the C5. The GS wheels were one of the setups they tried and I think they really liked them especially for autocross. It was either Corvette Fever or Vette, I can't remember which.

Just call me Al
96 CE
72 Vert
I remember that...I am pretty sure it was Corvette Fever!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone got the article? I would like to read it, if possible.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
while we're on this subject, does anyone know if the a-mold center caps of the various aftermarket dealers and gm originals are the same size? i'm thinking about getting some of the 40th anniv. caps for my car, but don't know if they will fit on the afs wheels i have on my car.

jeff, what do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
bkuper said:
i'm thinking about getting some of the 40th anniv. caps for my car, but don't know if they will fit on the afs wheels i have on my car.

jeff, what do you think?
They'll fit. the afs wheels have the same dimensions as the a-molds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More on the GS wheels for a C5.

The article I was thinking of was in the January 2003 issue of Vette magazine. They took a stock 2000 FRC, with upgraded brakes, put on the GS wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 SC tires and took the car to Moroso Park Raceway in West Palm Beach, Flordia and put Justin Bell in the drivers seat. The results were that JB was turning lap times in a stock '00 FRC very close to a Z06! He was very impressed and recommended this wheel/tire combination for any and all C5 owners.

Just Call me,
Al

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the article. Someone found it for me. Bottom line, the GS wheels and SC tires made an an FRC handle almost as well as a Z06.

Excellent memory BTW!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the compliment but the memory is BAD. That's why about a year or so ago I got so fed up with looking through stacks of magazines trying to find an article that described what I wanted to do to the '72 that I said, there has to be a better way. So I organized all the different magazines by year and month, then went through all of them making an outline of all the major tech/how-to articles and other misc. stuff breaking it down by generations (C1 thru C5). So now when I want to find something, I get on the computer, open the excel file, find the subject and find the magazine I need by year and month.

Except in this case, this article had fallen through the crack and I had failed to list it. So it was on to Plan B, search and find. So much for organization. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Just Al

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oldace84 said:
I'm going to get the after market wheels.
So many folks have them available.
tony
Same here. Found a set for around $900 9.5" in front 11" in rear. Going in tomorrow to bolt them and see how they look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts