Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fyi on runflat repair at discount tire. At my local store I had slow leaks on the rear tires caused by nails and they repaired for free. The bad is they did not use pucks to lift the car and caused a small crack in panel under car. I did not raise to much of a deal about it, because I figured if I had it repaired the body shop would screw it up worse. Anyways about a month later the right rear tire start making a roaring sound, but stopped when turning left to right and I assumed bearings after reading forums. I ordered bearing. timkens in the mail on the way. I just left discount tire after getting tires put on my truck and while I was their I wanted them to look at my tires on the vette. I took them off car and had them in the back of truck. While looking at them I noticed that the inside of tires had been punctured in four spots on both tires which was causing the bubbles/blisters on the tire. The guy noticed the four spots stating the sords are showing in these four spots. That is when I told him they had to come from his machines and they did. They are replacing tires friday for free and I hope this fixes the roaring sound. I assumed discount tire new what they where doing, but I will hold their hands from now on when they work on my vehicles. I hope this helps people out to never assume they are the experts.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It can be hit or miss, I havent had any problems with the discount tires I deal with, but I have had friends have horror stories at different locations. Without being an ass I kind of assume everyshop doesn't know what they are doing, until they prove themselves. One bright note is that anyone that I know that has issues with DT has been compinsated for any problems.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
It can be hit or miss, I havent had any problems with the discount tires I deal with, but I have had friends have horror stories at different locations. Without being an ass I kind of assume everyshop doesn't know what they are doing, until they prove themselves. One bright note is that anyone that I know that has issues with DT has been compinsated for any problems.:thumbsup:
I agree. I have bought many many tires at Discount and have always had great service. When I got my first replacements on the Vette I was nervous about their knowledge of raising the car. I made sure they were prepared and they were - they did a great job. Recently had a runflat repaired there, and again, it looked like they knew exactly what to do. I'm sure it does vary from store to store, though, so I recommend asking up front if they know the jacking procedure for a vette. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never had any problems from them, but this is the first time owning a vette and assumed they have delt with these types of cars before. They have always done great work on my other cars and I believe they will resolve my issues. If not I have tire max stores in my area as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did ask them about lifting my car and stated he understood and lifted them before. Went to restroom and came back and they had no puck under the car. I told them and he went outside, slide under the car and said that the surface under the car was cut out for jacks and everything was okay. I never lifted the car before and assumed he knew what he was doing again. You think they would train employees to deal with different vehicles. My fault and will watch over people with this car from now on.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I did ask them about lifting my car and stated he understood and lifted them before. Went to restroom and came back and they had no puck under the car. I told them and he went outside, slide under the car and said that the surface under the car was cut out for jacks and everything was okay. I never lifted the car before and assumed he knew what he was doing again. You think they would train employees to deal with different vehicles. My fault and will watch over people with this car from now on.
That's amazing. When I had new front tires put on, I asked if they knew what they were doing, and the salesman said "Absolutely, no problem." Sure enough, I watched as two young guys went after it. One put his back to the front wheel well and lifted at the wheel well to raise the car a couple of inches so the plastic extension (really not a puck) would slide between the lift and the frame. He did the same when they let it down - lifted the body to make clearance to pull the plastic deal out. They clearly had done this before. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. Now I am jealous of your DT store. I will train mine to accommodate me and save other tires in the future.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I always ask about pucks, and whether they have ever lifted a C6 - anywhere I go. If they hesitate or don't make me feel good at all, I'm done.

I am very fortunate that my local (personal) mechanic owns a C5 & C6.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I have had the local Discount Tire replace 3 sets of RFs on my C5:

1 set GYRFs
1 set Michelin A/S ZPs
1 set Michelin A/S ZP Plus's

They repaired several flats on the first two sets and my original GYRFs.

I always am there when they lift the car to explain things to them. I installed Elite Engineering Rail Savers early on so that I do not have to mess with pucks - they also work on their lifts without them doing anything as the built-in pucks stick down about 1/4". They still have to be careful to center the jack pad on one of the puck locations if they use a floor jack.

Different Runflats have different repair guidelines:

For instance GYRFs can have up to 3 punctures per tire repaired as long as the punctures are in the tread, at least 90 degrees apart and not on the same cord. Michelins A/S ZPs are only allowed to have ONE PUNCTURE PER TIRE repaired - if there are 2 punctures, the TIRE MUST BE REPLACED.

Always had outstanding service from the local DT.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from my discount tire store and they gave me two new michelins. Mine where michelin ps 2 zp and they had the regular no zp in stock so I will give them a try. Well this did help me find out that I have a bearing issue, because tires are new.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Just got back from my discount tire store and they gave me two new michelins. Mine where michelin ps 2 zp and they had the regular no zp in stock so I will give them a try. Well this did help me find out that I have a bearing issue, because tires are new.
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 125,000 miles on the car. I bought it used with 113,00 miles so it probably needs bearings. I will do both of the rear bearings when they get here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hit or miss with Discount, I have had instance where they have scratched my wheels up pretty bad. There are instance where they have left the lug nut covers off my GTO. I am always hawkeyeing because of my Forgelines and the them using pucks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. I am watching them hard from now on. They seem to work to fast and cause more problems in the end. I am happy now they saved me $530.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts