Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the top of the shaft, there is a splined area where the mechanical advance plate for the springs mount to. The top piece is able to pull down a very small distance, probably about 1/16th of an inch. I don't think it has moved from its original orientation on the splines but I am worried that it might come loose. I ran some high strength red lock tight around the area but it didn't work. I cleaned it again and put some more lock tight on it so hopefully, it will work this time. Is this top piece welded or just peened over on the top? I could hit it with the welder if that would lock it in but I don't want to do any damage to it with the heat.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Its peened over .
They work loose sometimes.
You can Peen it with a Punch and Hammer.

Or You can put a small MIG wire welder Bead on it.
Or Tig Weld it.
A few small Weld Tacks will not put much heat into the the distributor shaft Upper advance spring mount plate.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Remove the Nylon pads before welding.
They pop out with a screwdriver.

Wrap a wet wash cloth around the shaft to soak up excess heat.
Or clamp on a Large pair of Vice grip pliers to soak the weld heat up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the Nylon pads before welding.

Speaking of those pads, the ones that were on there got damaged. I went crazy looking for replacements. Checked online and a several auto parts stores and nothing. I found those at Lowes in the hardware department. They are automotive panel retainer pins. They fit nice and tight and are similar to the original distributor pads. I cut off the pin shafts with a dremel tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts