Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the cap/rotor/ignition module...normal tune-up stuff and ran into a problem. When I took the cap and rotor off, I unbolted the ignition module and instantly the three plastic plugs that connect to the ignition module all cracked and broke into hundreds of pieces (the plugs that go through the side of the cap and seal out any moisture). There was some sort of crystallization inside there. Anyway, I am looking to replace these parts. Does anyone know where I can find them? Or is there some way to fix this? I was considering just using some black RTV to "make" a seal, but I am a little concerned with the metal contacts possibly arcing acrossed each other. Any ideas are appreciated.

BTW ..... changing plugs and wires is fun, huh? I think my hands will be healing for a couple of days.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
If it's the plug I'm thinking it is, you can buy a relacement from GM. Hell yea, changing plugs sucks! If you can change plugs and wires w/o looking like you got into a fight w/ a cougar, you should be able to walk on water too. :laughing: The screws in the stock exhaust manifold heat shields are the worst!

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
I agree too, Dealer should have them.

I do find it surprising that they are bad, I have 98k on my Distirbutor and have not had a problem yet, But I am going to replace my current Distributor with the Small cap and remote coil this spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was surprised too. Only 80K on the clock. The tach wasn't working and someone suggested to check the wiring on the distributor. I figured while I was at it to do a tune-up. Well, you can tell that I bought it from a little old lady.....all original cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition module, thermostat, etc. etc. etc.

I got the cap off and it was stamped 08/88 date of manufacture. Funny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the two pieces in this weekend. $46 for one $107 for the other. Man, Chevy saw me coming. They are just these plastic plugs that plug into the ignition module. Now if I can get my powdercoated valve covers back, I can finish putting the car back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts