Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I posted about my dwell jumping around and my shaft end play...for some reason, I can't find the post...must have been at that other place.

Before I undertook my 'big project" diff rebuild, I shimmed up the dist shaft within "specs". Now that I have a little more time, I am going back to my dwell issue:thud:

Anyhow, when I dropped the distributor back in it did not sit flush with the intake...so for the hell of it, I put on 2 gaskets which allowed me to tighten down the dist. Worked just fine...no more dwell bouncing as RPM's increased. Car ran really well.

So if you guessed it, I didn't like the fact that that I had to use 2 gaskets.....soooooo, I removed a shim which took it out of spec.....and the dwell bounce is back. Duh!

The dist was rebuilt with a new shaft after the tack gear was chewed up...another story. The bushings are fine.

Anyhow, I was thinking of what my problem could be and how to fix it. I don't have the original shaft, so I can't take a measurement.

I was thininking that I could grind down the blade on the shaft to shorten it a little bit so I could use the shims to get it back into spec.....but before I do that and ferk it up, I thought I'd ask....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Yes. Install it without any gaskets. Use a feeler gauge to check the gap. It can have a gap due to use of thin gaskets, milling, or aftermarket manifolds. Add gaskets to shim it up. Bottoming it out will **** it up. Use the gaskets, shim the dizzy to .005", and drive it.:thumbsup:

(Ask Lars. He will tell you the samne thing).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Install it without any gaskets. Use a feeler gauge to check the gap. It can have a gap due to use of thin gaskets, milling, or aftermarket manifolds. Add gaskets to shim it up. Bottoming it out will **** it up. Use the gaskets, shim the dizzy to .005", and get over it.:thumbsup:

(Ask Lars. He will tell you the samne thing).
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts