Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 vette, 350, 4 speed. It currently has a distributor that does not have the tach drive, I would like to replace with a high energy unit with a tach drive. What recomendations do ya'll have, are the $400 ones worth it, or should I go with one of the cheaper ones? I also can't seem to locate my timing light, are the high dollar ones worth it?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a Mallory unilight mech tach drive it uses point style wires and has a small cap no vac adv though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MSD has a tach drive unit, but you will need a msd box I suggest a 6AL. Thats what Iinstalled on my vehicle, I feel it was well worth it..:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I am running a MSD Street Fire dizzy. Now I do not have a mech drive as I have a elec tach but to answer your question about if the high dollar ones are worth it. If you want to set your dizzy and not have to go back and keep messing with it then YES it is worth it. You want a good Dizzy in your engine. There are so many issues that can be caused by a low quality dizzy you will be under the hood for days and may never get them all. MSD is a good company and make very good products. Just my .02:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
distributor

im running a performance distributors hei unit in a 71 sb.dropped right in.starts easy runs strong.no extra boxes,vacuum and mechanical advance, cable tach drive plus electrical pick up, 55000volts .allows you to run 55 thou plug gap.the gap was so big i didnt think it would run,but it runs great.i would buy another if i needed one.not the cheapest but there you go

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am actually think about selling my DUI? If anyone is looking for one, it is from my 74 sbc probably 2500 miles on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts