Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
You ARE going to screw thing up if you go off GUESSING how much to put in. Like I said before, I need to know what car you have. EDIT your profile so that I and others who are helping you will know the car you have. The values differ by the year and possible model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry about that. I thought I identifed the car earlier. I updated the profile. 1999 corvette convertible - 6 speed manual Trans. Stock engine original owner.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Sorry about that. I thought I identifed the car earlier. I updated the profile. 1999 corvette convertible - 6 speed manual Trans. Stock engine original owner.

Thanks
Okay, look below your avatar. It still just says C5 so that's what I'm talking about when I say you need to update your profile. That way, people trying to help don't have to keep rereading the thread to remember which car you have.

Your car is supposed to have exactly 1.625 lb (0.737 kg) of R-134a refrigerant. You never said what this conflicting document was so I can't help you there. I can provide the following 2 documents that should be all you need to see concerning the AC oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
... Didn't mean to be a pain in the butt...
You're not being a pain. The only thing that pains me is the thought of some guy messing up his car because of misinformation or not following instructions. When I help someone fix their car, I take a certain level of ownership, as if I am working on my own car. I am not going to advise you to do something to your car that I wouldn't let you do to mine. So if I see bad information being passed to some unknowing soul, that pisses me off. Especially when the correct information is documented and can be easily accessed.

Sometimes, following detailed instructions can be a real pain but those instructions were put together by someone who knows way more about this stuff than we ever will. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just letting you know how glad I am that i ran across this post!! Almost shelled out 645 bucks at the dealer for a new compressor! Called bumber to bumper and got the entire kit for 206!! Definitely gonna dive in and get this done. Thanks for the great step by step instructions!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Keep in mind that most of the different C5 Corvette years have different values and levels of product. There are also specific instructions that you need to follow for your specific compressor. This writeup is for a 2001. If yours is different, you need to make sure that you are using the correct values for your year car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the great write up Junkman.
I just did a complete overhaul with new AC Delco compressor, dryer, condenser and 0 tube. Flushed the evaporator and line till clean. Pressurized system with dry air at 35psi. Held pressure overnight. Vac'd system for 5 hours. (It would only pull 15")
Held vac overnight so no leaks.
There were no AC codes and I disconnected the battery to "0" the memory.
With engine off, I started to recharge the AC using the warm water submersion method. It only took about 9oz of 134 when the hose gauge pegged at max pressure. Started the engine and set AC on max fan on high. The AC indicator light flashed and then stayed on, but the compressor does not kick on.
The gauges read 58psi low side and 50 high side.
Air temp is 84°
What am I missing????

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I see a couple of issues here. You must have not paid specific attention to the details that I laid out in this write up (if you used it at all) because the numbers that I used were VERY specific, especially given that you have the same year car that I have.

I specifically stated that the amount of R-134a that each system has is VERY SPECIFIC, depending on the year of your car. With the 2001, the amount of R-134a is 1.5 lbs. This information is on the very first page of this thread. Converted to ounces, that's 24 ounces. You said that you only put in 14 ounces. That's the first red flag. The AC system is smart enough to NOT allow the compressor to run if there is too much or not enough R-134a in the system. This can cause DAMAGE to the system so that check was put in place. Next, you said that your gauges are telling you that the system is full. That's the second red flag and that's exactly why I don't use gauges. I get access to the ACR 2000 (or similar) like I said to use in my write up. Then the issues that you are having won't become issues.

In my writeup (or in this thread), I talked about how using gauges caused me to get IMPROPER readings. That's exactly why I laid out my directions the way that I did, in accordance with the service manual. Nowhere in them do I say to use any gauges. I specifically talked about using a ACR 2000. To get access to a ACR 2000 means that you will have to pay someone who has this machine in order to do this but when the job is complete and your AC is working correctly, that will be the best $50+ dollars that you could have spent on this job. Plus, the ACR 2000 has the capability to test your system for leaks quite quickly considering what it is doing and you won't end up wasting money and refrigerant by filling up a leaky system. It is such a all-in-one unit that I considered buying one myself.

Since the only time I would EVER do a complete flush is when there was a catastrophic failure with the AC system, I don't know why you did that unless you had such failure. The same goes for a transmission flush. Doing one unnecessarily is the quickest way to completely destroy your transmission because you can knock some debris loose and cause an issue where there was none. So keep that in mind before you completely flush anything else.

I am attaching the recommended flushing procedures to this post. It is very detailed. I suggest that you head down to your favorite shop that has access to a machine that can evac and refill your system properly. Until you are working with 100% correct values, you are going to be working in the dark. You haven't mentioned anything about the amount of oil that you added to the system so that's a completely different ball of wax. You have a couple of areas where issues could be present.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your time and reply.
First, I did have catastrophic compressor failure which is why the flush was necessary.
I stated that the system would only take about 14 oz 134A not that I stopped at 14 oz. Use of gauges issue aside, the fact remains that the compressor will not engage. I've checked all electrical connections including fuses. Still no compressor engagement.
I put 9oz of PAG in the system during installation. 2oz in each component (comp, dryer, evaporator and condenser) and 1oz in the lines before connection.
FYI, I did follow your detailed instructions for the install. They were very helpful as were the pics.
And I agree with your final point. Time to take it to the shop. I am officially stumped.
Bob

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
You have to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to open PDF files.

·
Registered
19 Posts
PAG question

Junkman, excellent procedures, got the compressor out no issues. The 13mm wobble socket and wobble extension are a must. Took it out from the top.

I purchased what looks like the same compressor you did: Compressor Works V7, pre-oiled with 30z of PAG

Question:
is the PAG in the new compressor PAG 150?

Took the oil out of my old compressor and 8oz came out!
How is that possible? (there was very little in the old accumulator)

If the system total is 9oz, there can't be much left in the condenser.

I'm replacing the accumulator, orifice, and compressor, how much oil should I add in the accumulator and compressor?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
... Question:
is the PAG in the new compressor PAG 150?
I have no idea. That's a question you should ask either the manufacturer OR read the instructions that came with your compressor.

Took the oil out of my old compressor and 8oz came out!
How is that possible? (there was very little in the old accumulator)

If the system total is 9oz, there can't be much left in the condenser.
Where are you getting this 9oz value?

I'm replacing the accumulator, orifice, and compressor, how much oil should I add in the accumulator and compressor?
In my writeup, I was VERY specific about measuring the oil presently in your system and said to make NOTE of that value. I also said to thoroughly read through the instructions that came with your compressor because it contained VERY IMPORTANT information about preparing your compressor for installation. I'm guessing that you didn't read through the instructions FIRST before you started as I suggested? If you didn't, that going to throw your values all off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The compressor comes pre-oiled with 3oz of oil.
This model is for GM vehicles including the C5, it is 150.
add

Compressor Works spec:
PN 620746
New GM V7 Compressor w/ Clutch

Where are you getting this 9oz value?
From your write-up in the PAG oil section....

PAG Oil Amounts

(These numbers for the oil are very important if you have a total system failure and have to completely flush the system)

Accumulator Replacement
60 ml
2.0 oz

Compressor Replacement
60 ml
2.0 oz

Evaporator Replacement
60 ml
2.0 oz

Total System PAG Oil Capacity
266.16 ml
9.0 oz

In my writeup, I was VERY specific about measuring the oil presently in your system and said to make NOTE of that value.

I did.
accumulator: 1/2 oz
compressor: 8 oz

I also said to thoroughly read through the instructions that came with your compressor because it contained VERY IMPORTANT information about preparing your compressor for installation. I'm guessing that you didn't read through the instructions FIRST before you started as I suggested?

I did. I understand the instructions as
measure old oil from compressor
add same amount (minus 3oz) to the new compressor

61 - 80 of 113 Posts