Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that my AC system was not working correct for a while, but it did not have a catastrophic failure.

Adding 8oz (5+3) to the new compressor seems like a lot especially since I didn't change any other AC parts.

Looking for some guidance on what to do next.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Where are you getting this 9oz value?
From your write-up in the PAG oil section....
Did you read THIS part?

"Here are some important numbers that you need to know about oil and R-134a amounts. These numbers are for my year (2001), so you need to double-check and verify exactly what is recommended for your year car. It varies sometimes from year to year."

I put that in BOLD in my writeup because it is SO important. All liquid values CAN vary from year to year. You also see me discussing this with GM Junkie a few post into the thread. This again is why I said to read the writeup first before starting the job. Once you get the values out of whack, you may as well flush the entire system because you won't be able to tell what values you have in there. As you can see with the attached document, your values are completely different from a 2001 year, which is what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gentlemen, we have ICE !

Big thank you to JunkMan and all the others who assisted me.
First time tackling this job and all went well.

Had a local shop empty the system and recharge it after I finished the work for $129.

Spent less than $500 vs dealer quote of $1500+++
Compressor Works V7
(from Autozone online 30% discount, $230)

accumulator, orifice, assorted gaskets and o-rings, drive and AC belt

tools (got to have the wobble socket & extension from HF Tools and hose clamp pliers from Autozone) and finally refrigerant.

Now on to the next problem: wobbly harmonic balancer
Apparently this is a known issue for C5's over 50k miles.

Had I seen this when I had stuff apart would have replaced. Now I need to start from scratch.

Junkman, do you have a nice write up for this?

Thanks,
Carmine

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Almost 150,000 miles on my Vette and no harmonic balancer issues. So no, I haven't had to make a writeup on that but I do have the service manual's instructions when I do. It sounds like you need a copy of that manual if you are going to be turning screws on your ride.

Reactions: HT99

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off. Great instructions/walkthrough. Very helpful.

I have a quick question or really just looking for confirmation. My compressor that came out had about 2.6 ounces of oil. My new one looks like it came pre-oiled with about 5.3 ounces of oil. My plan of attack is going to be to remove the oil in the new compressor and add 2.6 ounces to match what came out of my old. Sound right?

I have 1999 coupe

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Did you read the documentation that came with your compressor? Second, do you know EXACTLY how much oil is supposed to be in your system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you read the documentation that came with your compressor? Second, do you know EXACTLY how much oil is supposed to be in your system?
Unfortunately no documents came with my compressor. I wrote to the seller requesting them but haven't heard back yet. I probably won't hear back from them until Tuesday or Wednesday.
As far as how much oil... I have a 1999 so the system can hold 9 ounces. That's all I know.
So if my compressor has 2.6 ounces in it then will my accumulator have 6.4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately no documents came with my compressor. I wrote to the seller requesting them but haven't heard back yet. I probably won't hear back from them until Tuesday or Wednesday.
As far as how much oil... I have a 1999 so the system can hold 9 ounces. That's all I know.
So if my compressor has 2.6 ounces in it then will my accumulator have 6.4.
I forgot to mention that I don't know why/ how the AC broke as it was not working when I got the car. But I know that all the freon was gone (leaked out ) when I started.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Have you pulled the accumulator and verified the amount of oil in it? Also, where are you getting the 9 ounce amount from?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Two things. First, put your vehicle information in your profile so that it is visible under your avatar. Second, your number values sounded crazy. Those numbers MAY be for a system that has been totally flushed and not for component replacement only. Have you looked at the documents that I posted in this thread for the other guy who has a 1999?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two things. First, put your vehicle information in your profile so that it is visible under your avatar. Second, your number values sounded crazy. Those numbers MAY be for a system that has been totally flushed and not for component replacement only. Have you looked at the documents that I posted in this thread for the other guy who has a 1999?
Yes, I reviewed that PDF a few times which says, If more than 30 ml (1 oz) oil drained from removed compressor Add same amount as drained. That's why in my post I mentioned my approach was going to be to drain the new compressor of it's 5+ ounces of oil and add back only 2.6. I want to confirm that that's the correct action.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
That sounds like a way to go but before you drain any oil, you had better turn that compressor a BUNCH of times to make sure that it is well oiled. I would also save what you drain so that you can replace what needs to go back into the accumulator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Junkman,

I read through your tread over weekend, great write up on the process! I'll be using your pages to assist me with my compressor change (mine is leaking) this fall when it cools off. I am curious to know how well your Compressor Works A/C compressor is doing so far. I want to be sure I am replacing mine with a quality product so I don't have to redo the job again later (that's never fun).

I also saw you mentioned you purchased yours from Bumper to Bumper. I couldn't find much ordering info on their website other than part numbers, which was helpful. I'm in Tucson and there is not any Bumper to Bumper locations nearby or in the state for that matter. Would you happen to know if these folks ship or if there's a central ordering location to contact?

I appreciate any info you can send my way.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
My compressor is holding up just fine. It's a quality compressor. And yes, they do ship. That's how you order stuff from their website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds great, thanks for the info. I'll have to check their website again from a desktop computer, sometimes my mobile restricts certain webpages.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey, I flushed & replaced everything but the condenser, and the new compressor came with 3 oz of oil in it, where do I add the other 6?

At the compressor?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Hey, I flushed & replaced everything but the condenser, and the new compressor came with 3 oz of oil in it, where do I add the other 6?

At the compressor?
You need to read ALL THREE of the writeup's that I did concerning this topic. You also need to read the instructions that came with your compressor, which is another thing that I covered. Last of all, where are you getting your oil level values?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Manufacturer sends with 3 oz installed (on paperwork) (I have personal experience with the quality of the product because they are a client of mine)

Absolutely no oil came out of the old accumulator and the orfice tube was almost perfectly clean.

I read every post and may have missed what I need.

Add oil into the accumulator? Through which opening the front or back?

What about the rest of the 9oz?

81 - 100 of 113 Posts