Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't wanna spend the money on the expensive ones so I seen a DIY on bimmerfest.com , used their basic diagram just modified it slightly to clear my c6Z06. Well long story short they appear to work excellent.

I am going to pick up plastidip and spray them over for extra grip on the bottom and just a general clean look

go to home depot.

get a 2x12 x 16 ft piece of wood

cut it into 2 x (15", 21", 27", 33") = 96 x 2= 16'ft

screw them one on top of the other

then use some sort of dremel, or cutter, or saw and angle the edges.

thats it !

enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Cool, Nothin wrong with that

Thanks,

Also thats a nice simple cut list you made

It should help out the DIY Race ramp guy :nuts:

Bon

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Good job! But I see one problem.

You need a stopper at the top of the ramp, or the car might slip over the front edge... try a triangle wedge shape, in the front so there will be no chance of forward tipping.

see diagram

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good job! But I see one problem.

You need a stopper at the top of the ramp, or the car might slip over the front edge... try a triangle wedge shape, in the front so there will be no chance of forward tipping.

see diagram

yea i forgot to mention that...

I am adding that just didnt get the chance to

·
Registered
119 Posts
Didn't wanna spend the money on the expensive ones so I seen a DIY on bimmerfest.com , used their basic diagram just modified it slightly to clear my c6Z06. Well long story short they appear to work excellent.

I am going to pick up plastidip and spray them over for extra grip on the bottom and just a general clean look

go to home depot.

get a 2x12 x 16 ft piece of wood

cut it into 2 x (15", 21", 27", 33") = 96 x 2= 16'ft

screw them one on top of the other

then use some sort of dremel, or cutter, or saw and angle the edges.

thats it !

enjoy
Ah, but they will never provide the benefits Race Ramps are known for:

We manufacture from a solid core of industrial high density expanded polystyrene - so they are strong, but weigh less than 15 lbs. per ramp. They also have a carry strap which allows them to be hung on a wall hook.

We coat them with a hybridized polyurea so that they are durable and won't slip.

Plus Race Ramps come in a two-piece version that allows removal of the incline portion to provide increased access to the underside of the car.

You built yourself a nice pair of wooden ramps. However, you didn't build the equivalent of Race Ramps! :D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I banged this together in about 15mins

And it's been lasting for 2years and the nose of my 2003 Z06 Corvette has never touched the ramp "Even One Time"

It's light and gets the Job Done

I will be re-doing the nose section out of Maple plywood

real soon, Because this one has served it's time

And was only a make-shift ramp to start with:

Yes, I added to an exisiting ramp I had

The top is made from 2 pieces (Double Stacked) of ply cut @ 13 1/4" X 32"

And the sides are cut @ 3 3/4" X 25"

/ 11* Degrees is your riser

Then screw or through bolt them to the sides of the
Ramp,

Then screw your 13 1/4" runners (double stacked) to the top of your riser's

I made this out of scrap I found

But it works, and this ramp has been thrown, Run over by big trucks,

Had the vette sitting on it for a week or more sometimes :nuts:

This is how I get the front end of the car in the air

Then I can easily get my race jack under there

Here's my truck on the ramp

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ah. sorry maybe Iam wrong BUT my Vettes are worth a lot of money. And maybe yours might be too. Why don't you get safe ones from Race Ramps they don't slip out they grab very well and they are wide. Don't you thing your vette is worth it for the money you spend on a good ramp I DO.:huh:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Ah. sorry maybe Iam wrong BUT my Vettes are worth a lot of money. And maybe yours might be too. Why don't you get safe ones from Race Ramps they don't slip out they grab very well and they are wide. Don't you thing your vette is worth it for the money you spend on a good ramp I DO.:huh:
I'm like you, If it was'nt safe I would'nt use them

The top of my ramp is a Full 1 1/2 THick

I assure you my ramps don't slide,

I've been making Low-profile ramps/Race Ramps since I was 16yrs old

And so have alot of other people

The Race Ramps are very nice though :nuts:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:agree:
I'm like you, If it was'nt safe I would'nt use them

The top of my ramp is a Full 1 1/2 THick

I assure you my ramps don't slide,

I've been making Low-profile ramps/Race Ramps since I was 16yrs old

And so have alot of other people

The Race Ramps are very nice though :nuts:
:agree:

·
Registered
108 Posts
My parents had a 40 foot motor home that dad had made a set just like 6spdg37s made. He used those things all the time to help level that barge out. HELL of lot heavier than a Vette. Used them for years till they got rid of the motor home.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I spend my money wisely.
When Race Ramps prices their product at a reasonable value, I'll consider buying a set. Until then.....I'll continue to use my wood ramps. :thumbsup:

My home made ramps:
will last forever
are practical
are wide
are two piece also to remove the "ramp"
are less than 1/3 the cost of plastic formed Race Ramps.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I used Rhino ramps, for years, on my C5. When I bought the 06 Z06, I couldn't use them because of the approach angle being too steep, and the chin spoiler being too low. I made these ramps, to get the car onto the Rhinos (image stolen from the guy who gave me the idea). They work great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I spend my money wisely.
When Race Ramps prices their product at a reasonable value, I'll consider buying a set. Until then.....I'll continue to use my wood ramps. :thumbsup:

My home made ramps:
will last forever
are practical
are wide
are two piece also to remove the "ramp"
are less than 1/3 the cost of plastic formed Race Ramps.

I don't understand your statement about Race Ramps being "plastic formed". Sounds like you are under the impression they are injection molded?

Race Ramps are cut from a solid block of industrial high density expanded polystyrene (same stuff they use as a foundation for road beds, and when building bridges). This provides strength and their weight is a fraction of metal or wood ramps. They are then coated with a hybridized polyurea to make them durable, and non-slip. Expensive high-performance materials, well developed engineering and quality production differentiate Race Ramps.

Plus termites won't eat 'em... :D

Many people buy Race Ramps as they see them as a reasonable value. After purchasing and using the ramps the value is confirmed. Many happy owners can be found on Digital Corvettes.

That raises a question. Are there any folks out there who purchased Race Ramps and do not feel they received a reasonable value?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
look look look..

im not trying to talk down on your product nor am I expecting anyone else to...

I am just simply saying if you need a cheap alternative ...

I am about to be out of work indefinitely and spending x amount of dollars on race ramps was simply not a wise move...

so I went to home depot and made my own for 25 dollars

Nothing against the product...simply being financially wise for the time being

However, IMO homemade ones are just as ssafe as race ramps they just arent as mobile and have the lightweight benifits of it.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
My parents had a 40 foot motor home that dad had made a set just like 6spdg37s made. He used those things all the time to help level that barge out. HELL of lot heavier than a Vette. Used them for years till they got rid of the motor home.
I was gonna say that is what I built to level my 35' camper with.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't understand your statement about Race Ramps being "plastic formed". Sounds like you are under the impression they are injection molded?

Race Ramps are cut from a solid block of industrial high density expanded polystyrene (same stuff they use as a foundation for road beds, and when building bridges). This provides strength and their weight is a fraction of metal or wood ramps. They are then coated with a hybridized polyurea to make them durable, and non-slip. Expensive high-performance materials, well developed engineering and quality production differentiate Race Ramps.

Plus termites won't eat 'em... :D

Many people buy Race Ramps as they see them as a reasonable value. After purchasing and using the ramps the value is confirmed. Many happy owners can be found on Digital Corvettes.

That raises a question. Are there any folks out there who purchased Race Ramps and do not feel they received a reasonable value?

Plus termites won't eat 'em...

That one made me Laugh :nuts:

This is good constructive conversation and will help people to better under your product and Low-profile ramps in general as well

Look at Grumpy's post from yesterday

My son has recently taken an interest in general auto mechanics

And like I told him,

The number one thing you need to know about auto mechanics is how to properly
Jack and secure a car on jack stands

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess in a survival situation when fuel is scarce (like in "the road warrior") and abandoned cars are strewn about I can burn the ramp I made for my e-150 and heat my food,lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts