Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check engine light question

My check engine light is on, AND I have a message I need to service the Tire Sensor System. I followed the steps below, and no Codes came on after holding the Options button and pushing Fuel button 4 times. By process of elimination, do you think the Check Engine List is activated because Im getting the message to check the Tire Sensor System? thanks

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
My check engine light is on, AND I have a message I need to service the Tire Sensor System. I followed the steps below, and no Codes came on after holding the Options button and pushing Fuel button 4 times. By process of elimination, do you think the Check Engine List is activated because Im getting the message to check the Tire Sensor System? thanks
The TPMS does not cause the MIL to eliminate. You must have done something wrong when you attempted to pull your codes because you definitely are throwing a code if the MIL is lit. What you need to do is go back and CAREFULLY read the instructions on pulling your codes and try again. Once you get your codes, post them here and we'll take it from there. Again, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON PULLING THE CODES CAREFULLY. Your car is definitely throwing one or more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Po492hc

How do I fix the PO492HC with a check engine light?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
How do I fix the PO492HC with a check engine light?

Thanks in advance
Okay, first things first. When copying your codes, make sure that you copy EXACTLY what you see (triple check). I don't know if it was a typo or what you wrote down but there is no such code as PO492HC. There is however, a P0492 (the H and/or C stands for history and/or current). You transformed the zero into the letter "O" and that threw me off at first until I realized what you meant. Just an FYI.

Second, attached is the document that explains exactly what code you're throwing, as well as what is causing it to illuminate the MIL. This is also the document that explains HOW to trouble-shoot and resolve your issue if you have or have access to a Tech II. Before I can offer a answer your question, I need to know what (if anything), has been done to your motor modification wise. Let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
foxface

Hello J,
I just bought a 99 Coupe just two weeks ago (with almost 147k miles on it but well documented service records) and the first time I filled the tank with 91 octane, the next day I started it and the check engine light was on. I saw your thread here and tried to pull the codes. I've followed all your instructions to the letter but when I hold down the Options button & hit the Fuel 4 times, it lists "Twilight On" like it is scrolling through the Options list. I've done it repeatedly but still scrolls the Options list. Can you give me help please? By the way, the guy I bought it from said he used Regular gas in it and that the computer would adjust to it but not give full power from the LT-1. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks! I love your indepth explanations and photos.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Okay first off, your engine is not a LT1, it's a LS1. LT1's are in the C4. Second, using 87 octane in your engine is about the best way to destroy it. Your owners manual clearly states that you should only use 91 octane or better (and only from top tier gas stations). It further states that only if no 91 octane is immediately available should you use a lower grade octane. The engine's computer will adjust for that once in a blue moon occasion. YOU DO NOT use anything lower than 91 octane ON A REGULAR BASIS. Again, this is a sure fire way to destroy your motor. The guy you bought the car from was a idiot who didn't bother to read the service manual, or he just didn't care.

Now for the MIL. Go back and READ THE INSTRUCTION AGAIN. You're doing it wrong. If you do it exactly as I have written them, you will be able to pull the codes (I double and sometime triple check my instructions by performing them myself to ensure that they are correct). There are no 2 ways to pull them through the information center, you have to do EXACTLY what I have written. Print them out and take them to the car with you. Once you get the codes, start a new thread and I will help you resolve them.

Here's a link to your owner's manual. See page 6-3 concerning fuel.

Welcome to DC. :buhbye:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Sorry for the keyboard slip, I know it is an LS1. I looked at a lot of C4s before I found this C5. Thank God this guy only had it for a couple thousand miles (he was the second owner but has two other older Vettes). Do you think the change back to preminium gas threw a code? I got worried about the check engine light and went to Pep Boys to have them pull the code. He said it was P0141. From your code list, this looks like an O2 sensor. I see there are 2 on each side of the exhaust. They look reasonably easy to replace but where?
"P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2"

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You need to learn to pull your codes. The last thing I would want is to depend on some shlep at Pep Boys. Again, my instructions are dead on.

Start a new thread in C5 General about this code and PM me when you do. I'll post the instructions on what to do there. I want to keep this thread on strictly the MIL and pulling codes. The good news is that bank 1 sensor #2 is the second easiest of the four to replace. With as many miles as that vehicle has, they are about due to all be replaced. I was throwing a code for 1 at 120,000 miles and replaced them all at 132,000 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Man,
You are an officer and a gentleman! I'll give it another shot and do as you requested. Thanks for your patience.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
:agree:

Speaks the truth, this one does. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi

seems i have to redelete before every star up , or the ck engine light come on , o well 5 seconds = no light , my vette acted weird today with the furl per mile , it was weird ? al

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
seems i have to redelete before every star up , or the ck engine light come on , o well 5 seconds = no light , my vette acted weird today with the furl per mile , it was weird ? al
Wait a minute. So your car is throwing codes, one of which is actually illuminating the MIL (which is VERY important), and you're just deleting the codes WITHOUT looking them up, finding out what's throwing them or trying to fix the problem?

I don't mean to sound mean here but what part of smart do you think that is? :huh:

The codes are the car's way of trying to tell you that there is a problem. The illumination of the MIL is the car's way of telling you there is a problem IN ALL CAPS. When you ignore the car, it has a way of coming back and biting your wallet in the ass by turning a not so expensive fix into a not 'so cheap anymore' fix. Which problem do YOU want to be dealing with?

Reactions: ALZ

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok

well i know the 02 sensor the dealership said was need fix $500 , and the oil sendeing senser is blown , i have the part , we are worried about it so we may just ignore it , as for the rest 1 is for the rt rear tire pressure senser been out for years , the mods may also be why ? its really worked well, fast and smooth today ! b.a. fuek useage ? that sometimes goes to 0 fuel so i guess that senser is also out ? she runs awesome , so i will just turn off the ck engine light and roll ! no smoke, no problems , purrs and roars ! i will someday replace those sensors but clearing the codes and hitting the road works for me ! the ckengine lights been on 4 2 years after some fool shorted out my car , they payed , but that damm o2 is the one that hits the ck engine light ? well thats what a chevy worker bro told me ? no biggie he said , true 2 years later its running great , knowk wood , al

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You need to spend some time with the search function in this section of the forum. The fuel issue is common and can be resolved without turning one screw. The HO2 sensors are relatively easy to replace. You just have to know which of the 4 are going bad. They are around $100 dollars each. If someone quoted you $400 to replace one, they must have been attracted to your ass because they were definitely trying to ream you. Stay away from that place. The TPMS are another easy fix. About $60+ dollars for the part and the cost of remounting the tire. I did a complete writeup on the EOP sensor that a child could follow and it's a sticky in the same section where you found this thread. Cost is around $24 bucks to just replace the sensor, $220 to relocate it.

Overall, you have nothing but a bunch of easy fixes. Ignoring them could lead to who knows where. Those little things will definitely kill the value of your car if you ever decide to sell it and the person buying is smart enough to come here for research first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
codes

ok now bo rfa 1 code
2-po102c
3-c2110 hc , the po 1518 is now gone ? running peferct ! just got back from running it for 10 mins in garage ! all seems fast n fine , hated that damm ck engine light ! damm wanted to pull a fuse ! damm thing ! now at least it get that gone ! i do belive this was all i needed , them b.s. sensors do not matter no emmisions cks in florida ! run open headers down here ! nobody cares , that light was bugging me ! 5 seconds its gone , very cool , al

·
Registered
61 Posts
cool

well thats great news , i kinda knew the lil b.s. stuff as she runs really great , sell it never , i love my corvette , best car i ever owned , i will look into the fix on the fuel gauge and stuff , 4 now , i kill the codes , gas it up and drive ! so glad i can turn off that frubbin ck engine light ! i hate the ck engine light so bad , i almost put a sticker over the damm thing ! roar , hahahahaha , cioa, rock on all , always loved corvettes my entire life , i have one now ! a few lil b.s. but it fast , and well she is mine , silver targe 6 spd ! love it , see ya , alz ---p.s. that crap from the dealership that was when the ck engine light 1st lit is just a b.s. sensor imho , i have beem told by race dudes that its nothing to worry abot in florida ! now lights off , we are a go ! al :cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
new fun

so now i can kill the codes = no damm ck engine light lit thank god , :smack , but my gas gauge sensor is acting up yet agin , it has for 3 years , very very wet , flood waters , so i may have to dry her out before it stays reset ? ran great , then on e , low fuel , damm red light on check gauges , i finally get the damm ck engine light to stay off now this ? i will maybe get some decals to put over them soon , lol ,:laughing: it runs awesome , no matter ! hahaha funny expensive bullshit sensors , i want a 1971 454 stock vette ! :cheers:
see ya , alz

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
so now i can kill the codes = no damm ck engine light lit thank god , :smack , but my gas gauge sensor is acting up yet agin , it has for 3 years
Have you looked at any of the hundred 'fuel gauge drops to empty' threads? This is a very common C5 issue that can possibly be remedied without turning one bolt.

Reactions: ALZ

·
Registered
61 Posts
yup

yes i have , i added texoco super thursday , its been so flooded in my area , that cant help , i mean it sometimes never goes off to e , its just wierd , now i use the trp od to figure out i feel ever 150 miles, i will just fill er up ! i cant blow $ 1000 and up to replace the sensors , i have a bro at service chevy , a real friend , told me the parts themselves are $$$$ so yet another stupid computor screwing up my dash lights , i call them idioy lights , as i said i have been working on and racing cars since i was a kid , now at 48 i can always tell on start up is all sounds kick ass , or what need to be done , now i am not saying ignore codes , but this damm sensors are bullshit wastes of time and cash , i live florida = no emissions , so who cares ? al

61 - 80 of 107 Posts