Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
This necessity to redesign comes from "technicians" who "over-torque" the drain cock in the first place. Just like the sticker on a hair dryer that says NOT to use it in the shower. It's not a case of a design flaw, it's a case of enough people not using common sense so the engineers had to try and make it dummy proof. I see that OFTEN in a lot of different field. Looks like that became evident here.
You are probably right, I find that TSB's typically lie and that a non engineer that only works on his own car and helps a friend out probably has more inside information about design changes.... You wanted proof cause this guy had some hack work on his car and I was a liar so I proved it now you are just still trying to be right, let it go.

If that is the case, why don't I have that same issue with all the times I've drained my coolant? Maybe I'm doing it right? :huh:
Or maybe you are telling a fib? Because it is NOT possible to pull the water pump after draining only the radiator and not having a mess on the floor. Even if you run the pump (the engine) for a min or 2 there will still be a trickle (mind you much less then if you drain only the radiator).

But like you said, it's not necessary. ;)
Yep still "NOT NECESSARY" it just prevents you from having a mess on your floor.

If you say so, but I ONLY work on one car all the time. That is the 1997-2004 C5 Corvette. I touch no other car. So I have some very intimate time with this puppy and I know her well. ;)
Oh your car is a 1997-2004 model, that's pretty sweet how do they value a car that spreads 7 years? Do they give you the value for oldest, newest, or average it out?

We both know you are wrong already, pics proved it and you admitted that you only work on your own car (kinda limited knowledge). But we can keep arguing and looking like bickering kids cause I find it fun/amusing even if everyone else doesn't....

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
You are probably right, I find that TSB's typically lie and that a non engineer that only works on his own car and helps a friend out probably has more inside information about design changes.... You wanted proof cause this guy had some hack work on his car and I was a liar so I proved it now you are just still trying to be right, let it go.
Typical response for another GM engineer hater. Tell you what, when you show me a paycheck with a little GM logo and your name on it, I'll get impressed. Until then, you're just another guy on the Internet who thinks that he knows more than the guys who designed the car from the ground up. Yea, right. :rolleyes:

Or maybe you are telling a fib?
Seriously? And for what reason would I have to lie to of all people, YOU? Everyone here knows that I know my C5's. To think that I would need to lie to some noob on the site is laughable. Maybe you should find out what someone knows before you noob yourself to death.

Oh your car is a 1997-2004 model, that's pretty sweet how do they value a car that spreads 7 years? Do they give you the value for oldest, newest, or average it out?

We both know you are wrong already, pics proved it and you admitted that you only work on your own car (kinda limited knowledge). But we can keep arguing and looking like bickering kids cause I find it fun/amusing even if everyone else doesn't....
No, we won't keep arguing because in a poof, you can be gone. So you will now quit dirtying up my thread or you can take a ride on the vacation train. See? No more argument. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
My radiator is the newer design with the 1/4 inch insert as well. I have had it open at least a half dozen times. Its not a hack it new design. GM made it so because of just the reason mayday said. The tabs will fail after time and because of techs turning them to far thinking they screw out when in fact it unlocks and pulls out slightly.

As far as running the engine, you can run it for longer than a few minutes without water, but I would only do that if I knew I was replacing the water pump anyway as the coolant also lubricates the water pump bearings. That is the only issue along with overheating that will arise from running the engine with no water.

That said, I wouldn't run the engine, I would remove the radiator hose and finish draining the fluid if it was going to be an issue.

Now as to the banning, would he have been banned if this was anybody elses thread that disagreed with him? :rolleyes:

I doth protest that the banneth wand has been used to freely.
:down:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
My radiator is the newer design with the 1/4 inch insert as well. I have had it open at least a half dozen times. Its not a hack it new design. GM made it so because of just the reason mayday said. The tabs will fail after time and because of techs turning them to far thinking they screw out when in fact it unlocks and pulls out slightly.
Isn't that the same thing that I said? People doing it wrong so it had to be redesigned instead of telling people to do it right?

I doth protest that the banneth wand has been used to freely.
:down:
He was warned first. If you get warned and still want to be an ass, you get the pink slip. When you mess with the bull, you get the horns. By the way, you meant "too freely".

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Nice! Thanks for the sharing! :thumbsup:
Thanks for checking it out. On a side note, are you a supporting vendor? I ask because of your signature. You have to be a supporting vendor to advertise that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank god for this thread. I tackeled this job and thanks to this thread it was simple. While I was there I finally installed my vararam, cleaned out my radiator and changed my oil. One thing I did do because with one attempt I knew it was gonna me a motha f'er. I silicone the gaskets to the water pump. I just did it on the case of water pump to the gasket where gasket over hangs the pump. not getting it in between the gasket n waterpump. I let it dry over nite, It took about 5 minutes to install it. I did try and find those hose pump pliers locally but no one had them. Once I did job I didn't even lose a second to dealing with the clams. My basic pliers worked flawlessly. I guess it all depend on where your hose clamps are placed if the tabs are easy to get to, Mine were simple. I never could have had such a smooth and easy install.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Welcome to DC Killertiller. :buhbye:

Make sure that you go back and edit your profile to include the YEAR of your C5, in case you need some help with something else. The year makes a difference with some repairs. I have plenty more repairs like this one documented here on this forum for the C5. You will find that most of the common issues that this car experiences are not that hard to fix at all. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
It looks a lot more daunting than it actually is because I took a lot of pictures but the pictures include multiple angles for some steps. This ensures that I am crystal clear with each instruction.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I'm just a wordy bastard. You should see my videos. :laughing:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Junkman2008, Great post. I have printed and will be using this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Junkman2008, Great post. I have printed and will be using this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
:cheers:
It's an easy fix. The hardest part of the whole job is keeping the gaskets in place when you go to put the new pump on. Make sure that they don't slip out of alignment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Junkman, the instructions were a great help. Thanks again.

On a side note I am looking for a shop manual on DVDs. Do you know where I can get them?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Shoot me a PM with your PayPal address.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,478 Posts
Search for photobucket picture problems. It's all over the net. PB started charging $399 a year to release the pic for web hosting. Basically the "owner" can see them but no one else

101 - 120 of 121 Posts