Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got the Nash box disassembled last night. Looks like the damage is limited to both third gears, and one bearing that injested some trash. The design is reasonably straightforward to disassemble, but I spent 95% of my time just dealing with the snap rings. I'm assuming that some of the choices for snap ring sizes were to commonize parts, but some of the rings are definitely overkill. My biggest problem was dealing with the snap rings with my snap ring tool. Does someone have a different design tool they can recommend to save me a lot of time and aggravation when it's time for assembly?
I greatly appreciate any constructive suggestions.
Mike

·
Registered
879 Posts
There is a snap ring plier that uses a threaded shaft to spread the jaws, rather that the plier/lever type handle set that you have. I think it is made by K&N and is available at most auto parts stores. It also has interchangeable pins for different size rings, and some pins are angled to make the job easier.

Keep us posted. lots of pics!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mike, Snap rings and circlips drive me nuts. I have been buying the latest/greatest tools for the last 20 years to make this job easier. I don't know anything that really works well.

The good news is, installation usually is much easier!

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Mike, Snap rings and circlips drive me nuts. I have been buying the latest/greatest tools for the last 20 years to make this job easier. I don't know anything that really works well.

The good news is, installation usually is much easier!
Yeh, they are very close cousins to the Jesus clip.....

you know, that clip that flys off upon removal, and shoots across the shop floor, and you say....Jesus Christ!!! where'd that f-ing clip GO??:devil: :devil: :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts