Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new C6 or it is new to me and she has 93K on her. She runs like a TOP the guy who had it before me really took care of her and she looks new. But of course I want more so do I dare put on any extras and if so what? Maybe headers and cold air intake...Can I do more? What should I check for first.

I am new to the C6 World so bare with me.....

G

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
I would start off with the basics: cold air intake, long tube headers, and a dyno tune. From there it all depends on how much you want to tear into it.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any suggestions on what make for either or both

·
Registered
436 Posts
Am i to assume its an LS2? (just guessing since its such high milage) If its an LS3 i have headers and an intake that i can sell you for cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a LS2

Thanks

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Am i to assume its an LS2? (just guessing since its such high milage) If its an LS3 i have headers and an intake that i can sell you for cheap.
The headers and intake are the same, whether its an LS2 or LS3, so probably you can sell it to him cheap and he will get a head start.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I just got a new C6 or it is new to me and she has 93K on her. She runs like a TOP the guy who had it before me really took care of her and she looks new. But of course I want more so do I dare put on any extras and if so what? Maybe headers and cold air intake...Can I do more? What should I check for first.

I am new to the C6 World so bare with me.....

G
First you got to say,what year because the 2005 is different fron the rest, the rear is weaker, now we also to know whether its a 4 speed or 6 speed auto, or manual, from there the modification will be determine better. Headers and intake is a must but it depends on how much power you want, unless you have a suoercharger in mind, if so the intake will be useless, just get the supercharger which will come with its own intake.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I am just learning about these. It is a 2005 (still looking to see what build it is and what it came with) It appears to be stock except she sits lower and the wheels are after market. She is a 6 speed auto. I am thinking of a super charger down the road if an engine with 93K can take it?? I want to put on headers and a new exhaust for more sound but for now I am just learning and am happy with the power. It is more then I have had before! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Thanks I am just learning about these. It is a 2005 (still looking to see what build it is and what it came with) It appears to be stock except she sits lower and the wheels are after market. She is a 6 speed auto. I am thinking of a super charger down the road if an engine with 93K can take it?? I want to put on headers and a new exhaust for more sound but for now I am just learning and am happy with the power. It is more then I have had before! :thumbsup:
Everything about your plan sound good, 93k is good for a supercharger, my friend bought a C5 with 238k and he installed a supercharger and went to the track, he even entered the corvette challenge and did good.
If your intension is to do a supercharger, don't waste time and buy parts which will be of no use after you do what you want, just buy a supercharger and do it now, the headers will always be something you will need but buy the 1 7/8 headers, you will need it if you supercharged, now for exhaust, the best exhaust is the stock Z06 exhaust, they are 3" pipes with the NPP which was the best thing GM every did, they performed very well at open and sound good, and when close they sound like stock, I have it in my car with a supercharger and my car made 860rwhp/810lbs torque.
The difference between the 2005 and the rest are the 05 rears are weak, but you could always buy a 2008 rearend and bolt it up on yours, after that it all depends on how the speed bug bites you and what else you will want to do for speed. :thumbsup:
On the other hand, you can just do an intake , headers and the exhaust and have fun because all the rest is when the bug gets inside you and cause the additional expense.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Unless the guy did a swap before you, it can't be an 05 and a A6 trans. It's either an A4 or M6. If the intake and headers are interchangeable for the ls3 and ls2 cars I have a set of LG headers and a Vararam intake

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Unless the guy did a swap before you, it can't be an 05 and a A6 trans. It's either an A4 or M6. If the intake and headers are interchangeable for the ls3 and ls2 cars I have a set of LG headers and a Vararam intake
They are, work on all LS motors.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for all the input I really have a lot to learn! The trans could be a 5 speed I just don't know. Is there a way I can take the VIN and get the specs on the car or pull codes and get the specs? I want to know what i have before I make any changes just in case there were some mods made and I undo or mess them up.

Can you recommend a good manual? Does Chilton's make a good one for 2005 C6?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input I really have a lot to learn! The trans could be a 5 speed I just don't know. Is there a way I can take the VIN and get the specs on the car or pull codes and get the specs? I want to know what i have before I make any changes just in case there were some mods made and I undo or mess them up.

Can you recommend a good manual? Does Chilton's make a good one for 2005 C6?

:thumbsup:

If it's definitely an '05 you either have a 4 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. The 6 speed auto started in the '06 C6. (unless the previous owner did a swap like mentioned but is highly unlikely) If you're planning on a S/C either just get headers and a tune now or save the money and just go for the S/C. If you want more sound, I'd look for a used set of headers before buying a catback system. Headers will get you power and sound while the mufflers will only get you sound, for very similar prices. Another option, if the car is a 6sp manual, is to use the money from the headers towards an upgraded rear diff. The '05 manual rears have been known to break under hard acceleration, which I'm sure you'll be doing if you go S/C. So that is another thing to consider. You could also swap the gear ratio while you're doing it but that requires more research and planning for your intended purpose with the car.

Anyway, congrats on the new Vette. Happy cruising and be safe.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I have an 05' and before I put the supercharger on it, I had A Vararam intake, melrose headers, x-pipe, and Borla touring exhaust. It made 374 RWHP and 356 RWTQ with a good dyno tune. If you plan on running no supercharger, look up the vararam intakes. They make great power. I needed a dyno tune when I installed mine because the car couldn't handel the air. If you plan on putting the charger on, skip the air intakes and save $300 or so. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts