Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two days to figure this geardrive thing out will it work in my 85 and not mess with knock sensors

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you're beating your head against the wall. Why the hell would you want a gear drive anyway? Is this an all-out, high RPM race only engine?

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
If you are doing a gear drive for sound.... well... that's a lot of money and time for a sound!

How much are you paying for this pup?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are doing a gear drive for sound.... well... that's a lot of money and time for a sound!

How much are you paying for this pup?
They're popular with the street rod crowd around here, and the sound is the reason. Personally, that aspect of gear drives does absolutely nothing for me.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
The loud one WILL mess with the knock sensor the quiet one is not foolproof but has been run with sucess

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm installing a comp xe 268 not sure which type of gear drive or even if i should i just thought since i've torn everything down i'd get some input. on if i should or not it's the wine that i like .

·
Registered
230 Posts
"noisy" gear drives are only for carburated engines, or meckanical injection.
"quiet" gear drives can be run in efi situations. but have been prone to trip the knock sensor. I would call up the manufacture of the gear drive you desire and talk with a tec person. see if they have sucessfully installed them in efi applications similar to your set up.
its still a gamble tho.
a good timing chain should last a good while, before gaining slack.

my poor old pontiac block had over 1/2 inch stretch in its timing chain when I finaly pulled it. I was amazed it was still running when I pulled it. the cam could advance and retard it self about 20 or so deg. at its own will.

·
Registered
759 Posts
or beer

no seriously if you want whine just run about 3 qt's low on your tranny fluid ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
superchargers whine and it gives you a bit of a power boost.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'm installing a comp xe 268 not sure which type of gear drive or even if i should i just thought since i've torn everything down i'd get some input. on if i should or not it's the wine that i like .
I like wine too. But if I liked whine, I'd still be married..... :lookinup:

·
Registered
501 Posts
blower whine is neat for about two hours, then you will try things like 90 weight oil in the front case, or staggered notches on the pulleys, etc to stop that d#^& noise...BTDT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts