Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very interested in this trans. If you have it, how do u like it ? What is your rpm in 6th travelling at 70 mph ? DId it increase your gas mileage on long trips ? Pros and cons ?

Thanks, Dave

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i don't know of anyone with a 6-speed in a shark but its a great idea

·
Registered
746 Posts
SwaveDave said:
Im very interested in this trans. If you have it, how do u like it ? What is your rpm in 6th travelling at 70 mph ? DId it increase your gas mileage on long trips ? Pros and cons ?

Thanks, Dave
I don't have the 6 speed but I have the Tremec TKO 5 speed. It is a easy fit and gives you a 3.25 first gear and .68 overdrive. I have 4.11 gears at first and 60 mph was 2200 and 70 was 2500 . I then switched back to 3.08 because of traction problems in the first 3 gears and now turn 1600 at 60 , 1900 at 70. It goes up 300 rpm for every 10 miles per hour.
The transmission is extremely tough, but compact, internal rail shifting so no external linkage and other then shortening the drive shaft, welding an extension on to the front of the transmission cross member it is a bolt in deal.
I have had 3 700R4's. a T5 and now the tremec.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Nice motor setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed the richmond 6 speed last year got a great deal.For the most part the transmissions is great except 6th gear cant handle road racing conditions I broke 6th gear and up graded to the .80 gear from the .76 gear Not a big rpm change but it is a little noisy because of the straight cut gears IMO the .76 gear would be fine as long as you dont try pushing 130 plus road racing Talked to couple other open roadracers running the same transmissions and had same problem Otherwise great transmission would recommend to anyone Also alot of gear ratios to chose from and real easy to work on Converted from auto and this is the best thing I have do to the car

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
I installed the richmond 6 speed last year got a great deal.For the most part the transmissions is great except 6th gear cant handle road racing conditions I broke 6th gear and up graded to the .80 gear from the .76 gear Not a big rpm change but it is a little noisy because of the straight cut gears IMO the .76 gear would be fine as long as you dont try pushing 130 plus road racing Talked to couple other open roadracers running the same transmissions and had same problem Otherwise great transmission would recommend to anyone Also alot of gear ratios to chose from and real easy to work on Converted from auto and this is the best thing I have do to the car
Would you consider your car "streetable" or "cruiseable"? If so have you done any traveling in it and what kind of mileage (gas) did you get?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car is very streetable and cruises the interstate great The mileage I'm not sure don't keep track and I have a very hard time just cruising in 6th gear and just got the right size carb for it and now it snows so won't get it out except to tear down to up grade so things hope I was of some help Like I said it was the best thing Ihave done to my car and I have modified just about everything to go faster and ride better Should make 2010 Sandhills Open Road Challenge for the mile and half mile shootout First time I believe 150mph all Iwill be alowed Three other guys I have met run the Richmond 6 ROD and have no complaints except 6th gear at 150 plus breaking Well hope I have been some help

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
hey Hardcore, nice to see another NE guy in the C3 section. I was born up in Ainsworth, NE so I'm quite familiar with the sandhills (although I've never been to the SORC) and my parents still live in Lincoln. Sounds like a pretty sweet shark you've put together. We definitely like pics :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
My car is very streetable and cruises the interstate great The mileage I'm not sure don't keep track and I have a very hard time just cruising in 6th gear and just got the right size carb for it and now it snows so won't get it out except to tear down to up grade so things hope I was of some help Like I said it was the best thing Ihave done to my car and I have modified just about everything to go faster and ride better Should make 2010 Sandhills Open Road Challenge for the mile and half mile shootout First time I believe 150mph all Iwill be alowed Three other guys I have met run the Richmond 6 ROD and have no complaints except 6th gear at 150 plus breaking Well hope I have been some help
Could you tell me about your car and about this 1.5 mile event?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok for starters my car is a 1979 corvette (Ebay buy) This was a huge mess to begin with It had a pickup engine in it everything was wrong Front suspension was shot Oil pan rubbed on power steering It was just all wrong and there were 53000 plus of these cars built so I stripped every thing that is not needed to go fast First I decided the fenders were not wide enough So L-88 flares were installed (alot of work) I replaced the front suspension with the VB&P mono leaf kit Upgraded rear suspension with poly bushings and heim strut rods The engine for now is just a 355 cid dirt track engine (maybe 350-375hp) Lakewood bellhousing center force clutch Richmond 6 ROD 3.55 gears(changing to 3.08) Hooker headers and side pipes Areo 15x10 front and 15x12 rear Nitto 275/50R15 front &325/50R15 Still saving for 17" wheels L88 headlights L88 Hood 10 point cage being installed this winter and 6 point harness Got the corbeau seats may sell to install kirkey seats Auto meter tach and Autometer 200 mph speedo I have done every thing on this myself after work and weekend Because what fun is a toy if you can't say I built the entire thing Being single with no kids helps to The race takes place were I grew up the 1 mile and half mile take place in the country highway between Cozad and Callaway NE and the Open Road Challenge takes place on highway between Arnold and Dunning NE IMO the shoot outs were the coolest Theres more info on there web site www.sorcrace.com I think 2010 is a 10 year for race so should be great Probally no grids left in road race they go fast I have video of 2009 race and picture Will post soon as I learn how

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found your site about 2 years ago when I was looking for info on fender flare install Cool site and great car The 71 on tropic zone racing is something else too Great cars guys
BTW it would be great to see more C3s at next years SORC race last year only 2 but there were all kinds of c6 and c5s One Ls9 ZR-1 even ran the race

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Welcome to DC :thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Richmond 6 ROD 3.55 gears(changing to 3.08) Hooker headers and side pipes Areo 15x10 front and 15x12 rear Nitto 275/50R15 front &325/50R15
I have a 79 also. With one of my older 383 ci solid roller motors I was able to go 165 mph in a 0ne mile event.

What is OD ratio? Because of OD I have always had a 4.11 rear to get the highest top speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the .80 road race gear in it this summer Richmond will tell you that the .76 gear wont hold I will post pictures of gear when I figure out how to post pictures

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
give this a shot:
how to post pics on DC

if you still have any trouble drop me a PM and I'll be happy to help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey u guys, I am installing the Richmond super street 5 speed on my chassis (frame is off). It looks like at this point I am going to end up making the crossmember removable and smaller, but with thicker steel. This tranny has the same shifter and body as the 6 speed tranny but richmond put bigger/stronger gears in to make it a SS 5 SPD. My question is does the 6 speed tranny and shifter assembly fit the tunnel or am I going to have to cut it at all??

Thanks Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Richmond 6 speed

Yes you will have to trim the shifter hole a little to clear lower part of shifter in tranny tunnel otherwise great fit I got lucky and had a removable crossmember I wish I had gone with 5 speed because of gears but got my 6 speed for 2000.00 couldnt pass that deal up

1 - 20 of 26 Posts