Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a '07 Vette, blk/blk, 3LT. stick, chrome wheels, nav., and F55 suspension, with 8500 miles. Would you buy the GM Protection Plan-Major Guard (extended warranty)? It was offered at $1665.00 for 36 months or 24K miles with a $200 deductible.

I turned it down, but was given 24 hrs if I changed my mind. Do I need it? Thanks for your thoughts.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
Just bought a '07 Vette, blk/blk, 3LT. stick, chrome wheels, nav., and F55 suspension, with 8500 miles. Would you buy the GM Protection Plan-Major Guard (extended warranty)? It was offered at $1665.00 for 36 months or 24K miles with a $200 deductible.

I turned it down, but was given 24 hrs if I changed my mind. Do I need it? Thanks for your thoughts.
I think you are too late.

I purchased a '08 in September 2007 and September 2010 was the deadline for purchasing a GM extended warrantee.

That said if you can buy one I would, or rather did.

Your quoted price seems a little high.
I paid: $950.
3 yrs / 30K miles $0 deductable.

· Registered
511 Posts
I was going to but they wanted 1900 bucks:surprised...I said uhh no thanks they wouldnt even come down on the price...tried to get a better deal but they wouldnt budge :spanked:

I bought my car last summer of 2009 the bumper to bumper was over in Sept. of 2009 but the powertrain is good until 2012(5years)...So I said to myself if anything minor or electrical goes wrong I can fix it myself......The powertrain is your main concern, anything goes wrong there and it can get very expensive...I am covered for another 2 years for the powertrain so I left things as is

· Premium Member
13,755 Posts
I have always bought the extended warranties for my vette's and unfortunately or fortunately (however you choose to look at it) I've always had to use them.

I buy them through my Credit Union, 0 deductible and I think I only paid $1200.00 for it. Worth it for me especially on a car with fairly expensive parts like a Corvette.:thumbsup:

· Registered
25,310 Posts
I've never purchased an extended warranty for any of my cars, and have been lucky so far without it.
Same here. I have bought 8-10 cars in the last 10 years and have never needed an extended warranty. However, I never keep a car over about 4 years. But my experience is that it is unlikely you will have major non-warranty expense on a car with under 100k miles or under 5 years old.

· Registered
25,310 Posts
Are you keeping the C6 for more than 5 years? :D
Sad to say, but I'm not sure. I'm leasing it, and will have the opportunity to purchase at the lease end. It's pretty much pristine after 2 years, so I would probably be a fool to turn it back in. If I do turn it in, I've already decided to prowl around and get a chrome bumper C3, so I'll still live in Vetteland. :laughing::thumbsup:

· Premium Member
17,452 Posts
If I were buying a low miles 2 or 3 year old car(less than 10,000 miles, I would get the extended warranty. As I feel the car has not been driven hard enough or far enough to find all the weak parts. If buying a new car I get a 5 year total maintenance and repair policy, It covers the car bumper to bumper for 5 years or 100,000 miles. It covers every thing oil, filters radiator, any thing that breaks or needs replaced. except breaks, tires, and clutch. With todays electronics one bum computer will set you back the cost of the extended warranty.

· Registered
152 Posts
Extended warranties are the biggest ripoff next to insurance (of course). This is nothing more than a bet. They are betting you'll need it and youre betting you wont. The ante is called the premium and the raise is called the deductible. Here's the problem...they win if you play. Because you'll PAY regardless if you need it or not. Statistically you wont need it, hence the warranties from the OEM. BTW, the miles (or lack thereof) on a new car have nothing to do with the fact of you needing a repair or not. I asked a new car dealer once if their **** was so good, why do they have NEW cars in the maintenance shop awaiting repairs?
:nuts:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you are too late.

I purchased a '08 in September 2007 and September 2010 was the deadline for purchasing a GM extended warrantee.

That said if you can buy one I would, or rather did.

Your quoted price seems a little high.
I paid: $950.
3 yrs / 30K miles $0 deductable.

It was first registered in 5/08 according to the carfax. Can only guess why. I've looked at GMPP internet offers which are half the cost.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always bought the extended warranties for my vette's and unfortunately or fortunately (however you choose to look at it) I've always had to use them.

I buy them through my Credit Union, 0 deductible and I think I only paid $1200.00 for it. Worth it for me especially on a car with fairly expensive parts like a Corvette.:thumbsup:

You're right about "death by chickens". I shopping for price that's commensurate with that "peace of mind". We'll see if they go that low.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Extended warranties are the biggest ripoff next to insurance (of course). This is nothing more than a bet. They are betting you'll need it and youre betting you wont. The ante is called the premium and the raise is called the deductible. Here's the problem...they win if you play. Because you'll PAY regardless if you need it or not. Statistically you wont need it, hence the warranties from the OEM. BTW, the miles (or lack thereof) on a new car have nothing to do with the fact of you needing a repair or not. I asked a new car dealer once if their **** was so good, why do they have NEW cars in the maintenance shop awaiting repairs?
:nuts:
Love the K-9. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
It was first registered in 5/08 according to the carfax. Can only guess why. I've looked at GMPP internet offers which are half the cost.
Sorry, what?

first registered in 5/08?

I can believe I paid too much but would be surprised if spent twice as much. The dealer cut 20% off the blotted GMC suggested price.

I bought the warrantee from a dealer my neighbor works at. The dealer has done me some favors at no cost and I spend more than enough to compensate them.

In general they are upfront and competitive, but…

· Registered
16,115 Posts
I was able to recoup a little of my GMPP purchase on my C6 but, it really paid off on my 92 & 96 C4s.

The climate control went out on my 92 and after the dealer replaced the unit I ha weird electrical problem that took the dealer a long time (12 visits and 2 tow ins) to find. On my 96 the rear window defroster quit working and the solution was the to replace the entire rear hatch.

Both of these would have cost far more than the GMPP.

:cheers:

· Banned
1,834 Posts
If Your leasing I would say not to buy the extended warranty. Usually the residuals on lease vehicles are not competitive so you will probably buy a new corvette when your time is up.

I bought the GMPP warranty and for 1300 bucks...it gives me another 48 months and 48K miles under warranty..(hundred deductible)

I don't like hassles and with the warranty I don't have to even think about repairs..

If the c7 rolls out and I'm still under warranty...and I privately sell the vette.....having an extra year or so with a warranty might be attractive to a buyer..

JMO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.