Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Do you change your own oil?

• I change my own oil.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Sometimes I change my oil, other times I pay to have it done.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I do NOT change my own oil.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do. But, it's more a financial thing then anything. It's a pain to dispose of the oil and not get some mess on the garage floor.

My friend takes his Z06 to an oil change place, I don't blame him.

This is my first poll, so let me see if I get the poll part to work!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It depends on if there is a special. There is a few places around here that sometimes run a Mobile 1 change for $25, and at that price It's hard to beat someone else doing the change w/ Mobile 1 oil!!

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Both cars I take into the dealer and get the oil changed. have found a tech that I trust so it's not bad. Once I get the lift I'll be doing my own on the 91 but the Z06 will still go into the dealer until the warranty is over.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
ragvette said:
Both cars I take into the dealer and get the oil changed. have found a tech that I trust so it's not bad. Once I get the lift I'll be doing my own on the 91 but the Z06 will still go into the dealer until the warranty is over.
A new house? A new lift? Mods up the ying-yang...? Did you win the lottery? :eek:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do the oil changes on all four of the cars. I fill a 6 gallon gas can before I take it to the recycler or Pep Boys. Building the my own ramps sure makes the job easier.:D

B

·
0 Posts
Well both of the oil changes I did myself using the former Vettewrench's equipment. I guess Ill have to use my own jack now!:(

·
Registered
662 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Well both of the oil changes I did myself using the former Vettewrench's equipment. I guess Ill have to use my own jack now!:(
How do you manage to get the car level so that all the oil drains from the pan? The LS6 (for that matter a lot of new GM cars) has a flat oil pan. See the following photo for the view underneath.

Notice that the oil drain plug is at the front of the pan. When the car is on Rhino ramps (which I have) the front of the pan is higher than the rear.

If you use jack stands and not ramps, where do you place the the jack and the jack stands? Do you put jack stands under all four corners? If so I'll send a photo of the rear underside and perhaps you can mark it showing where the jack points are located. The shop manual diagram is useless (too vague) for locating a safe jack point.

I used to change oil myself on my C4 cars, but they were easy to jack up and the pan was a traditional shape so that when the front was on jack stands all the oil drained from the pan.

I'd appreciate knowing how you do it because I would prefer to change the oil and filter myself.

Ray

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have always changed my own oil, when I was back in high school I had taken my 1979 camaro into a small shop for an oil change and they stripped the drain plug/cracked the oil pan putting the plug back in, looks like they used an impact to put it back in. I barely had any money and the shop would not fix the car. I have let the dealer do a couple of them if the car happens to be in for warranty at the time it needs a change but other than that I always change my own on all my vehicles.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
I would, but when I became a licensed Architect I had to sign an agreement requiring me never to be in public with dirt under my fingernails. Even self-serve fuel acquisition, if viewed by another member, can cause one to be repremanded.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:huh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I usually change my own oil on the C5 & let the dealer do the oil changes as required for warranty purposes. I even supply my own Mobil oil to the dealer without any arguments from them. I always do my own changes on my winter -beater Tercel & my son's Honda Civic. I have been twisting wrenches on helicopters since 1971 & had to stop in 1995 due to a serious back injury ( broke it) I now push a desk as a Quality Control inspector for a large helicopter manufacturer, but any time I can get into the garage & tinker on the cars is great therapy for me. I tend to look at the cars a lot closer than the dealer would , due to the nature of my job . ironic as it may seem, I feel more nervous about fixing my cars than tearing a helicopter apart into a thousand pieces & putting it back together again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts